UConn fires Kevin Ollie / hires Danny Hurley | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

UConn fires Kevin Ollie / hires Danny Hurley

It astounds me that UConn has torpedoed their program as thoroughly as they have, as fast as they have.

I honestly don't think that I could have done a better job if I tried.

Uconn fans will tell you the ack is a great conference and that there is no power 5 for basketball. Theyre seriously delusional.

Goodman just said if Hurley doesn't go to URI, that Pitt will go after Hop. No way he leaves UW right? Unless we come calling 2022 or so...
Hopkins isn’t leaving UW, possibly ever.

It’s a perfect situation for him and his family. I don’t even see him talking to anyone until his kids are out of (high)school. He’s got some roots there and could well be the JAB at UW. He could do a lot worse...

Wait. Who doesn't think that SU is a top tier job and why? We're like T5 in the country.
The only folks who think SU is not a top tier job, are those insecure SU fans who’ll never give the program enough credit.
Despite the wins, the crowds, and the tradition, there’s a perpetual chip on the shoulder element by some in our fanbase that’ll never go away.

Last edited:
Hopkins isn’t leaving UW, possibly ever.

It’s a perfect situation for him and his family. I don’t even see him talking to anyone until his kids are out of (high)school. He’s got some roots there and could well be the JAB at UW. He could do a lot worse...
Plus Seattle is a really nice city and Western Washington is spectacular.

The rumor in Cincy is that the Louisville job is going to Chris Mack of Xavier.

This was the year for Xavier and they didn't get it done, he now moves on to a HUGGGGGEEEE payday at Louisville...

Mack is a good coach but whoever hires him better not watch the last minute of Xavier's loss to FSU. That was some fugly coaching right there.

Leaking false info to Goodman...

I’m shocked he would run with stuff without verifying it’s validity. Shocked.

I'm shocked he and ESPN are not over in Lithuania chasing Lavar Ball and his two overrated sons around.

Sounds like Hurley to UConn is a done deal. $3.1M/yr. Still have the Ollie buyout too

This Pittsburgh Post Gazette columnist thinks Hurley should turn down both Pitt and UConn and stay at Rhodey and instead wait for a better job to open. He cites Louisville, Syracuse, UNC, Duke, etc. as jobs that he’d be better off waiting to come open. Despite some of the naysayers on this board, outside perception is that Cuse remains a top-tier job. The Dome provides such a great source of revenue and has made us one of the top grossing, spending, and most profitable programs.

Paul Zeise's mailbag: Which job should Dan Hurley take?

While some people here think we’re basically BC, I think most of us realize we’re a top 8 job. The only concern is whether SU will pay in accordance with that status.

Plus Seattle is a really nice city and Western Washington is spectacular.

Goodman has used Hopkins as a source before IMO. I would think Hopkins is fine w his name out there if he’s looking for a decent pay raise. It’s always good to be wanted. Goodman on the Bob Ryan podcast mentioned Hopkins as the guy who should have taken the BC job a few years ago. I agree with him and he claimed Hopkins would have taken it. I thought people on here said he was offered it but the buyout for Syracuse was too big.

Conference does not matter tho...

“Well, everywhere he’s been, he’s proven that he can recruit for that level,” Chavannes said. “I still think that that conference [the AAC] is a problem when I listen to my kids and the other kids talk. They’re not very complimentary about the conference, so I think that’s going to be a big stumbling block to get over. But he’s done it everywhere he’s been.” Patrick School coach

While some people here think we’re basically BC, I think most of us realize we’re a top 8 job. The only concern is whether SU will pay in accordance with that status.

If SU doesn’t pay like a top 10 job, then you could argue that SU is not a top 10 job. But we won’t know that answer for a bit more.

This is a pure money grab. Hurley knows he cant win there.

Doesnt matter who they hire unless they get out of the AAC. Until then they will continue to spin their wheels in mediocrity. John Wooden couldnt help that program.

This doesnt change anything. He would have had a much easier ride to get a program back had he went to Pitt.

Last edited:
Smart to pick UConn. Much easier path to be competitive.

Patrick Beilein to URI now?

I don't get the Hurley genius. I watched a lot of the A-10 tourney and a lot of their NCAA games, and frankly they looked unstructured and uncoached. Due respect to the A-10 it's not that hard to dominate that league. The skeptic in me thinks their is shenanigans going on at URI and he wants out before the sh-- hits the fan. I can think of no other reason why he would jump to the uCONN job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom