Uconn left standing when the music stopped | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Uconn left standing when the music stopped

Your answers were well thought out but what I think a lot of Yukon fans miss is that they are overstating the importance of their athletic and academic programs. You would know more about the STEM improvements, etc and that will be able to be measured in the future, but the bottom line with the athletic programs is that there really is no tradition. Football has had one or two good years and that's that. No conference is going to get all excited about playing a school who's best alumni is Dan Orlovsky. Even Rutgers football trumps that. Basketball is another story. But again, with apologies to Dom Perno, UConn hoops was all about Jim Calhoun. He had a few really great seasons but with some of the controversies that has surrounded the program and the important fact that he has retired, that leaves the program very much up in the air. Like Dasher said the longer you are in the AAC, the worse it will become.

If I am independent, I see Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville as much stronger candidates for admission.

Football/Academics:

He did say that UConn was very young in the sport that counts (football). I agree that he should have added academically young also, with the caveat that the academics seems to be continually improving, whereas football has plateaued the past two years. UConn needs to make an inspired hire after coach P leaves (retired/fired).

Pitt/Syracuse/UL and the ACC:

I agree, for the ACC, Pitt and Syracuse were on par to, or better choices than, UConn. Syracuse gives the ACC NY state and in-roads to NYC, though I don't think Syracuse brings all of NYC. Pitt gives them some competition with the B1G in PA (though they will never surpass PSU). As a side note, I am a bit surprised Rutgers didn't get an invite earlier than Pitt. I know Rutgers is a bit of a joke athletically, but Rutgers would have sealed up ACC dominance (TV-wise, those Rutgers fans watch their team even when, as usual, it stinks) from Philly to NYC (with Cuse). Pitt was never going to be in the B1G, though maybe it goes to the B12 Pitt still has the PSU issue.

The ACC was selecting based off of football first and academics second when Maryland left, so UL also made sense based on the past two years and historical relevance in football. Academically (historically) Pitt and Cuse have better reputations than UConn, though UConn is rising quickly and is a lot closer to both now than UL is to UConn.

Bringing it back to football for a second, it's kind of a self-fulfilling prophesy that UL was a better choice based on football. If UConn was invited to the ACC/B1G (and UL wasn't) and had that type of football money coming in, chances are UConn is better than UL going forward. Cash is suddenly there to expand the Rent, fire P and find a better coach, etc.

Basketball:

UConn had some good years pre-Calhoun, but yes it is very Calhoun oriented. He alluded to this when saying timing hurt UConn. Would UConn have gotten more consideration if this was 2007? UConn coming off a share of the BE crown in football and Calhoun still looking to have 5 years left in him. Even 2009 would have been better for UConn. Ollie seems to be a solid choice, so in some theoretical world where Maryland doesn't leave the ACC until, say, 2017, does UL still look better than UConn with Pitino on the brink of retirement and Ollie as an up-and-comer?

Going forward, the new conference could seriously hurt UConn, it is a legitimate concern for UConn fans. If Ollie is as good as many think he is, will be, than it's far less of a concern. UConn fans can rest fairly easily knowing Ollie isn't going to another college (NBA is a possibility down the road). It also depends on how well current recruits do, because we all know that success breeds success. It's a huge reason why kids like Purvis and Hamilton were such recruiting coups (esp. Hamilton, IMO). If UConn can land even 1-2 more of it's top recruits than that will build UConn further as an acceptable school to go to outside the big 5 conferences.

I mean when it comes down to it, UConn may not compete (arguable) with UK/Calipari for recruits, but it can still go head to head with a school like NCSt/Alabama (caveat assumes Ollie is as good as UConn fans think he will be).

Does it throw UConn down to San Fransisco/Houston territory? I don't think so.
Or does it move them into Gonzaga territory? Possibly.
Or does it make them Memphis/Butler on steroids? Possibly.
Or will UConn be picked up by a major conference? Not likely, ATM.

I would say it's probably 5%, 50%, 40%, 5% from top to bottom, ATM. This is obviously opinion.

Another thing to look at will be OOC scheduling, which could make the new conference less relevant in terms of positioning UConn as a brand basketball school for recruits. It's not an enviable position but it is one that is workable.

UConn's basketball situation is a fairly unprecedented occurrence with how media/sports focus/etc. is these days, not to mention UConn being the flagship public University in CT.

Overall:
Syracuse, Pitt and UL all are in better situations to succeed, ATM.

UConn is definitely handicapped in basketball, but not nearly as much as some here would like to believe. NCAAT's are certainly possible and even likely in the league they are in. It should be a 3 bid league at a minimum (Cincy, Memphis and UConn should all be regulars). Will UConn win an NCAAT before Cuse/Pitt and UL (or even again), who knows, but UConn will stay competitive much longer in basketball regardless of it's conference. There is enough precedence of schools outside the major conferences doing well in the NCAAT, schools with a smidgeon of UConn's history and resources.

In terms of football, UConn is on the outside looking in. Syracuse, Pitt and UL may never win a championship game (it's a much harder task to even make the playoffs in football than in basketball) but have a shot at the playoffs through their conference. UConn would need a minor (maybe major) miracle to even make the football playoffs. Here is where the difference is more likely to be seen sooner.

In terms of football, UConn is on the outside looking in. Syracuse, Pitt and UL may never win a championship game (it's a much harder task to even make the playoffs in football than in basketball) but have a shot at the playoffs through their conference. UConn would need a minor (maybe major) miracle to even make the football playoffs. Here is where the difference is more likely to be seen sooner.

In football, we are going to have to do it like TCU, Utah, Boise etc.

There won't be many (if any) non-Power 5 programs putting the money into football that UCONN will and none with anything close to our facilities.

It's not like we were beating many Power5 programs any way - Tyvon Branch - the Raider franchise tag player - came out of Liverpool NY and didn't get a SU offer.

I don't think SU or Pitt or BC are really in position to start beating big-time programs for recruits in the ACC - probably be about the same as the old BE.

So, on-the-field, I don't think there will be a gap between UCONN and those programs, however, and this is a BIG HOWEVER, the perception will be that the gap is much larger than it likely will be.

There won't be many (if any) non-Power 5 programs putting the money into football that UCONN will and none with anything close to our facilities.

It's not like we were beating many Power5 programs any way - Tyvon Branch - the Raider franchise tag player - came out of Liverpool NY and didn't get a SU offer.

I don't think SU or Pitt or BC are really in position to start beating big-time programs for recruits in the ACC - probably be about the same as the old BE.

So, on-the-field, I don't think there will be a gap between UCONN and those programs, however, and this is a BIG HOWEVER, the perception will be that the gap is much larger than it likely will be.

:rolling:

Reread this a couple of times. just to make sure. apparently I read it correctly.
:rolling:

Sdhusky is the guy who thought we were dumb for firing P.

How's the working out for ya?

Here's the bottom line, imo: All conference choices were based on football, period, and UCONN Fan's opinion of where UConn stood on the nation football map (even after the Fiesta Bowl) didn't match the rest of country's reality.

This is not a shot at UCONN's being better or worse than Cuse, Pitt. LVille, Rutgers...the recent records didn't matter, UConn is still looked at as low level D1 and it certainly didn't help when they trotted out the corpses of P&D to coach their team.

Allow me to channel the Huskmeister ahmm: Freakin great man P and D are going to bring us on par with any of the big 5 schools and SU fans are douche's from wanting P &D fired they are awesome and your going to flounder in the ACC while we rule the Ack conference and the powers that be will witness our greatness and automatically invite us to the national championship game :rolling:

This is not a shot at UCONN's being better or worse than Cuse, Pitt. LVille, Rutgers...the recent records didn't matter, UConn is still looked at as low level D1 and it certainly didn't help when they trotted out the corpses of P&D to coach their team.
As much as I appreciate what P&D did for SU while they were here, there may be some truth to this. Not the overall determining factor, but one more brick in the wall.

Wrong. Syracuse is turning the cornor. A lot of your fans think you passed us for a spell. You didn't. Wew passed you on the way down. We have now passed you on the way back up. Our recruiting is getting better (2 4 stars already this year by the numbers game). Who will you play and where? No big time programs are going to play at the Rent.

Wrong. Syracuse is turning the cornor. A lot of your fans think you passed us for a spell. You didn't. Wew passed you on the way down. We have now passed you on the way back up. Our recruiting is getting better (2 4 stars already this year by the numbers game). Who will you play and where? No big time programs are going to play at the Rent.

This is a critical point that the mouth breather crowd at BY will never grasp.

They never "surpassed" us. We regressed when we made a garbage hire.

Basketball:

Another thing to look at will be OOC scheduling, which could make the new conference less relevant in terms of positioning UConn as a brand basketball school for recruits. It's not an enviable position but it is one that is workable.

So much in your long post deserves response and/or rebuttal, but sloth prevents my taking on the task.

I will take a shot at what seems to be a fairly common theme among UConn fans and supporters (Andy Katz?)--that, even if the new AAC turns out to be as weak as is feared, the Huskies can make up the difference with their out-of-conference slate. I think back to Temple in the A-10 under John Cheney. They would schedule tough OOC. I think you guys are now in analogous situation. And that ain't great.

Oh, and I also think you, and many of your Huskie peers, are over-rating your academic status.

We'll see after this year.

Of course, we already know the 4 years after PP at SU.

As much as I appreciate what P&D did for SU while they were here, there may be some truth to this. Not the overall determining factor, but one more brick in the wall.

PP won more at SU than anyone since Ernie Davis was on the campus.

Ummm you do know that Michigan is coming to town this year, and I think of them as "big time"

So much in your long post deserves response and/or rebuttal, but sloth prevents my taking on the task.

I will take a shot at what seems to be a fairly common theme among UConn fans and supporters (Andy Katz?)--that, even if the new AAC turns out to be as weak as is feared, the Huskies can make up the difference with their out-of-conference slate. I think back to Temple in the A-10 under John Cheney. They would schedule tough OOC. I think you guys are now in analogous situation. And that ain't great.

Oh, and I also think you, and many of your Huskie peers, are over-rating your academic status.

This is a critical point that the mouth breather crowd at BY will never grasp.

They never "surpassed" us. We regressed when we made a garbage hire.

That would be a better argument if the 70's, 80' & 2000's didn't take place.

Since they did, you can argue that SU was at a different level under PP than where UCONN has been the last 10. But not for the other 3 out the last 4 decades.

I'd like to see SU do it with someone else beside PP before I think they are at a different level.

Same with Pitt. 1979 was a long time ago and so was Doug Flutie to BB.

Ummm you do know that Michigan is coming to town this year, and I think of them as "big time"
Of course I know that> You do know that the Michigan game was scheduled while you were in the Big east, right? This wasn't scheduled last winter.

Since they did, you can argue that SU was at a different level under PP than where UCONN has been the last 10. But not for the other 3 out the last 4 decades.

I'd like to see SU do it with someone else beside PP before I think they are at a different level.

What? We went unbeaten with coach mac. The next year we went 10 and 2. Beat SEC co champ LSU in a bowl game. Mac left the program in super drive for P. Oh, under Coach maloney my sr year, we beat the pac 10 champs washington. Mac did a better overall job than P did. He built the program up. And in other news, no one wants UConn. We have been a player in college football. UConn never will be. Have we been bad at times, yes. But when we are good, we beat top programs when they are at their top. Ohio St., LSU, Texas, Michigan at Michigan, Colorado when they were loaded. I could go on. UConn doesn't even give real good teams a game. If a team is better than 7-5 in a big league, UConn loses and usually loses big.

Hate defending Pitt, but in 2009 they finished 15 both polls. I believe that uconn has never finished the season ranked. And while we were pretty awful from 2002-2009, we still have as many Big East titles as uconn does since you joined the Big East.

You can pick several ten-year periods depending on how you want to move the goalposts. 1996 was an incredible run through the NCAAs. But there was only one consistently excellent program in the conference for the entire decade, and it wasn't Syracuse. The fact that a team was able to go 17-1 in the conference one season(!!!!) speaks largely to how inconsistent the conference was at the time.

This is more a response to sdhusky but it applies to seemingly all UConn fans...

Wow 17-1. Incredible. News flash. Syracuse finished 17-1 in conference play in 2012-13. You probably lost interest a few games into that season so it is understandable that you have forgotten that.

Not sure Connecticut fans know what carry means. No question UConn basketball had a great run and no question it was the best program in the conference over a sustained period of time.

But to say UConn carried the conference is ignorant. The Big East has been the best conference in the country almost every season since the mid 1980s. The thing that made it great was the great depth, the excellence from so many programs. Every time that was in the conference any sustained length of time made the Final Four except what, Rutgers (the worst athletic program in the history of sport) and Pitt (no excuse for them). On some weeks, the Big East had 8 teams in the top 25, in 2011, 11 teams from the conference made the tournament. Many years 7, 8 or 9 teams made it.

You can make an argument if you say Gonzaga has carried the WCC conference for years. It wouldn't be true but it at least can be argued. The same for Memphis carrying CUSA.

Trying to say UConn carried the Big East for a decade, it doesn't matter what 10 year period you pick, is just sheer stupidity. This is why so many people think UConn basketball fans are idiots. You really don't know much about sports.

We'll see after this year.

Of course, we already know the 4 years after PP at SU.

I don't have to "see" because I already know what PP his first two years at UCONN (no bowl)
And his six years after Donovan Mcnabb graduated (7-5,6-5,10-3,4-8,6-5,6-6 with three bowls). I saw enough epic national television blowouts as well as that glazed over "deer in the headline" look when he had no idea what adjustments to make.

And spare me your "facilities" arguement. Any deficiency in our facilities should be now be made null because according to you guys UCONN has the greatest football facilities since the invention of football (though according to UCOINN fans football was invented in 2005.)

Syracuse's undefeated 1987 team says "hello".
The 1988 team (10-2) will be the next team to greet you.

It sounds like Yukon missed the best opportunity to start D-1 football by 35 years.
It might just've made a difference during the last rounds of CR.