Uconn recruiting...uh oh | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Uconn recruiting...uh oh

Duh, read what I was replying to, then see if you can figure out what I posted.

Much like NCAA Championships?
Much like national championships. That has sure carried a lot of weight when the major conferences were looking for teams. We had the bad luck to play powers when we have been to our three finals. No G-tech or Butler for us. We have been to more final fours than you. And we will be to final four #6 and 7 before you get to 5. That is my point. In the AAC... you are UMass. Oh. and your point about the zone is kinda dumb. JB's job is to win college games for Syracuse. The zone hasn't hurt us get players. And it never will.

Fair enough, can't argue with a gut feeling.

It's a long haul to the end of this recruiting phase. I don't think anyone would argue that 2013 class was great, though its still debatable if that's due to aforementioned sanctions or the start of a trend. This is something that will be hard to judge until at least the fall signing period, and likely further after that. Regardless if you consider Purvis a recruit or not, him being a newly eligible player in 2014-2015 helps things a lot for UConn. Hamilton helps even more if he ends up at UConn. It's a good thing Cuse wouldn't want a kid like Hamilton.

Cuse has two very good players verballed, Hamilton is better than either right now.

Chris McCullough is a darn good talent but he is pretty raw still. Probably the most athletic kid in 2014, but far from the best player. Similar to Drummond in that respect.

Joseph is also a heck of an athlete but similar to Purvis, he's a bit of a tweener at the 1/2.

Tell me how things feel when Boeheim retires.
Fair enough, can't argue with a gut feeling.

It's a long haul to the end of this recruiting phase. I don't think anyone would argue that 2013 class was great, though its still debatable if that's due to aforementioned sanctions or the start of a trend. This is something that will be hard to judge until at least the fall signing period, and likely further after that. Regardless if you consider Purvis a recruit or not, him being a newly eligible player in 2014-2015 helps things a lot for UConn. Hamilton helps even more if he ends up at UConn. It's a good thing Cuse wouldn't want a kid like Hamilton.

Cuse has two very good players verballed, Hamilton is better than either right now.

Chris McCullough is a darn good talent but he is pretty raw still. Probably the most athletic kid in 2014, but far from the best player. Similar to Drummond in that respect.

Joseph is also a heck of an athlete but similar to Purvis, he's a bit of a tweener at the 1/2.

Tell me how things feel when Boeheim retires.
First, Hopkins as head coach and you wonder what recruiting will look like? Still have the Melo center. Still have the dome. In the ACC. I suspect will be be just fine. Thanks for the concern though. We went to a final four before JB.
McCullough vs Hamilton in the ratings
espn McCullough #7 Hamilton #17
USA Today McCullough #6 only went to 10...no sign of Hamilton
Athlons McCullough #12 Hamilton #13
The sporting news McCullough 3rd team Hamilton 4th team
Lindy's McCullough #6 Hamilton # 49
I've seen McCullough. He isn't raw. Now, he won't have to do it all when we have two all league type forwards in Grant and Roberson in front of him. Good luck with Hamilton. Hope you keep him.

Much like national championships. That has sure carried a lot of weight when the major conferences were looking for teams. We had the bad luck to play powers when we have been to our three finals. No G-tech or Butler for us. We have been to more final fours than you. And we will be to final four #6 and 7 before you get to 5. That is my point. In the AAC... you are UMass. Oh. and your point about the zone is kinda dumb. JB's job is to win college games for Syracuse. The zone hasn't hurt us get players. And it never will.

Final fours? To echo your statement, second, third or fourth don't matter.

Can someone please tell me what an AAC is?

The googles do nothing tonight. Damn. Best I have, is that it's an acronym that wants to sound like a big boy league. Thanks for nothing, urban dictionary!

It's a misspelling isn't it?

6a00d8341c4fe353ef0133edb5de38970b-800wi

I don't know, part of the whole hating UCONN and GTown is that they played us hard and had solid records against us. Watching them and the whole Big East go down SOOOOOOOO fast and probably see them turn into non factors in college basketball is kind of sad. I'm extremely excited to see where we're going to go and our future but on the other hand, without UCONN and Gtown we may not be where we are now. Probably not a popular opinion I have here, but oh well.

Love the schadenfreude and hate UConn as much as everyone else. But I frankly don't see an immediate drop-off in their bball program.
3-4 years stuck in that AACK Conference abomination, and then we'll start seeing some drop-off.
I think they'll have an NCAA bid this year- their guard play is outstanding. But eventually, and inevitably, it'll start to take its toll.
Just a matter of time, IMO.

Its too early to bury UCon. Their football team looked solid almost beating Michigan today. Basketball can survive based on school reputation bringing in a few good players and coaches bringing in some under the radar studs, until they join a better conference. Ollie can wash away the Calhoun sleaze. UCon might decline but it is not a foregone conclusion.

All this talk of UCon makes me appreciate how lucky we are. Where would we be if our football team didn't come through when it counted?

It's a bit early to write off our recruiting this year. Don't forget Ollie was under house arrest from the NCAA until into the summer.

We already have two great players coming in next year. Purvis's freshman year was better than Kemba and Kemba turned out OK.

I remember when we lost a recruit to AZ and didn't sign Okafor until the spring. He turned out OK - we won a National Championship with him.

I remember when El Amin was signed with MN at this point in the process. In the spring he committed to UCONN. He turned out OK - we won a National Championship with him.

I remember when Ben Gordon wanted to go to Duke but they took Ewing instead and he ended up at UCONN. He turned out OK - we won a National Championship with him.

I remember when Jake Voskul was a unranked guy Calhoun spotted when recruiting someone else. He turned out OK - we won a National Championship with him.

I remember at this point in his recruitment, Kemba wasn't in the top 100. He turned out OK - we won a National Championship with him.

I remember when it looked like Donyell would go to SU but didn't because of the car dealership penalty. He ended up a UCONN and it worked out.

We will have the most expensive basketball facility in the nation and will play a great OOC schedule.

Look at it this way, last weekend, the recruits got to play with Ray Allen, Kemba, Lamb, etc Got to meet with Calhoun. It was a little bit more impressive than Seton Hall despite what you may want to believe.

Everyone in the NBA knows Ollie and says good things about him.

I think we are fine.

In the UCONN vs. SU for the future conversation, if Ollie is a better coach than Hopkins, I'll take UCONN. If Hopkins is a better coach, I'll take SU.

Right now, we don't know who will be a better coach although we have far more data on Ollie - and it all looks good so far...

It's a bit early to write off our recruiting this year. Don't forget Ollie was under house arrest from the NCAA until into the summer.

We already have two great players coming in next year. Purvis's freshman year was better than Kemba and Kemba turned out OK.

I remember when we lost a recruit to AZ and didn't sign Okafor until the spring. He turned out OK - we won a National Championship with him.

I remember when El Amin was signed with MN at this point in the process. In the spring he committed to UCONN. He turned out OK - we won a National Championship with him.

I remember when Ben Gordon wanted to go to Duke but they took Ewing instead and he ended up at UCONN. He turned out OK - we won a National Championship with him.

I remember when Jake Voskul was a unranked guy Calhoun spotted when recruiting someone else. He turned out OK - we won a National Championship with him.

I remember at this point in his recruitment, Kemba wasn't in the top 100. He turned out OK - we won a National Championship with him.

I remember when it looked like Donyell would go to SU but didn't because of the car dealership penalty. He ended up a UCONN and it worked out.

We will have the most expensive basketball facility in the nation and will play a great OOC schedule.

Look at it this way, last weekend, the recruits got to play with Ray Allen, Kemba, Lamb, etc Got to meet with Calhoun. It was a little bit more impressive than Seton Hall despite what you may want to believe.

I think we are fine.

In the UCONN vs. SU for the future conversation, if Ollie is a better coach than Hopkins, I'll take UCONN. If Hopkins is a better coach, I'll take SU.

Right now, we don't know who will be a better coach although we have far more data on Ollie - and it all looks good so far...
yeah, Ollie did go all of 10-8 last year, right? Look, to poo poo the way the C.R. has gone and how it will effect your program is a see no evil view. Good luck with that. We play in the A.C.C., we play our games in the Dome and have the best practice facility in the country. I like our chances.

yeah, Ollie did go all of 10-8 last year, right? Look, to poo poo the way the C.R. has gone and how it will effect your program is a see no evil view. Good luck with that. We play in the A.C.C., we play our games in the Dome and have the best practice facility in the country. I like our chances.

He went 10-8 with a depleted roster from injuries and transfers. Calhoun had plenty of years like that or worse - I doubt JC would have won 10 last year with that team.

You do have a terrific practice facility and just because we are spending twice as much money as you guys did on yours, doesn't mean it will be twice as nice. But I imagine is will be better than Seton Hall.

SU is positioned excellently for the future, but that doesn't mean we'll stop winning championships.

Everyone in the NBA knows Ollie and says good things about him? Well. We'll shut up then. Because everyone KNOWS that guarantees success.

Everyone in the NBA knows Ollie and says good things about him? Well. We'll shut up then. Because everyone KNOWS that guarantees success.

Whether or not you want to admit it, the NBA is a big deal with high school players. If you don't think it's an advantage, well, you must not have been one of the fans who thought GROB's super bowl ring was going to dazzle recruits.

He went 10-8 with a depleted roster from injuries and transfers. Calhoun had plenty of years like that or worse - I doubt JC would have won 10 last year with that team.

You do have a terrific practice facility and just because we are spending twice as much money as you guys did on yours, doesn't mean it will be twice as nice. But I imagine is will be better than Seton Hall.

SU is positioned excellently for the future, but that doesn't mean we'll stop winning championships.
You're cute.
and that looks to be a scrappy, plucky little squad you got over there at storrs

Of your ten wins, two were against teams with winning records. Of those two, One of those games will probably be the closest UCONN gets to a championship game in quite some time.

Still a lot of uncertainty with KO...but hear he talked to Lebron once.

Whether or not you want to admit it, the NBA is a big deal with high school players. If you don't think it's an advantage, well, you must not have been one of the fans who thought GROB's super bowl ring was going to dazzle recruits.
You're right. I wasn't. Enjoy the ACK.

I think we are fine.

It's always very convenient to pick out the recruiting choices that worked, but you've had your fair share of misses too (everyone has).

Comparing Purvis' freshman year to Kemba is absolutely stupid and an insult to Kemba. Even implying the 2 could be correlated in any way and trying to use that for an argument makes zero sense.

It's always very convenient to pick out the recruiting choices that worked, but you've had your fair share of misses too (everyone has).

Comparing Purvis' freshman year to Kemba is absolutely stupid and an insult to Kemba. Even implying the 2 could be correlated in any way and trying to use that for an argument makes zero sense.

So if you point is that its really dumb to make judgements about recruiting before all the data is in, then yeah, you persuaded me.

I guess I was just being as silly as someone judging our class in mid Sept.

the delusion and denial over there right now is an absolute hoot...
no, seriously, Kasongo is really like the best player in the class, just that no one knows about him is all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom