UK, Duke and UNC each has 6 top recruits coming in | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UK, Duke and UNC each has 6 top recruits coming in

I'd rather be like Nova or Virginia.
[/QUOTE
Missing the point that our recruiting has nosedived the last 5 years. Everyone has a short memory I guess.
The op specifically mentioned 5* recruiting. That was what I was responding to. I do acknowledge that recruiting has fallen off.

We used to recruit at a high level for decades.

outside of john wallace and winfred walton (but if you include walton, you MUST include bazley) 1990-2001 wasnt anything to write home about recruiting wise.

The game is changing as we type right now. 3 of the top 25 kids are going g league..next season it will be more and so on and so on.

We're going to have to bank on the JG3s and other 3 to barely 4 star players to carry teams now.

The game is changing as we type right now. 3 of the top 25 kids are going g league..next season it will be more and so on and so on.

We're going to have to bank on the JG3s and other 3 to barely 4 star players to carry teams now.
If NCAA allows players to profit then the G league will be dead.

Honest question here. Currently is he a verbal commit? Or has he actually signed a letter of intent? Can he even do that at his age?

He’s a verbal commit, he can’t sign yet.

which is what meant as far as...what else can we do at this point? Kid verballed early and has been talking up how he’s going to get others to come too. I’m stumped at why some are negative on it and always hinting that he “might” not actually come here - based on their own speculations.

We used to celebrate getting early verbals from guys like Waiters and MCW.

Tier 1 Recruiting Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, Unc

We should be in that next Tier of Recruiting witch should put us Year in and Year out for kids ranked between 10 and 25 or so. It blows my mind why so many top ten fifteen kids go to same UNC Duke Kentucky then when they are not good enough to be one n done because there is only one basketball and they have to come back to school they get buried and passed by the next class of top recruits. Just from an SU view Quade Green, Jordan Tucker, Alex O'Connell to name a few.

Can you or someone else tell me when SU got more than one 5 star recruit in class? How many tines? How ofen did SU get more than 2 top 50 in a class?
Were Green and Flynn both 5 star? They were both MAA. I believe Coleman was a MAA and Stevie Thompson was a 2nd team Parade AA. I don't know how that would translate to stars now.

The big difference between then and now is that talent got more evenly distributed because elite players stuck around, then the next crop of elite guys didn't want to sit, so they went where they knew they could play immediately. It was a different and better time.

We should def go big Game Hunting more than we do. Offering and Seriously chasing the Best of the Best each year in the Recruiting Class. Not just throwing out the offer like everyother program in the country and hope the recruit sees it. We are Syracuse not Alcorn State.
I am positive they do their due diligence before offering. If a kid says they have no interest in SU, then why offer?

I am positive they do their due diligence before offering. If a kid says they have no interest in SU, then why offer?
That's BS. They should spend the money to change the kid's mind. They are only teenagers afterall. Easily swayed. JB should fly to each kid's house and sit on his front porch until the kid lets him in. Then, all he has to do is use the old JB charm to convince the kid to forget about the money being offered to his family and handlers and coaches. It can't be that hard.

That's BS. They should spend the money to change the kid's mind. They are only teenagers afterall. Easily swayed. JB should fly to each kid's house and sit on his front porch until the kid lets him in. Then, all he has to do is use the old JB charm to convince the kid to forget about the money being offered to his family and handlers and coaches. It can't be that hard.

If that doesn't work, duct tape and zip ties are always helpful.

If that doesn't work, duct tape and zip ties are always helpful.
YES!!!! Our coaches just don't try hard enough. I am sick of them going fishing or just sitting on their hands waiting for these players to knock on their door. They have to go to the kid's house with some duct tape, a shovel and some lime and get the job done. Wait, that is a different job. Forget the shovel and lime.

He’s a verbal commit, he can’t sign yet.

which is what meant as far as...what else can we do at this point? Kid verballed early and has been talking up how he’s going to get others to come too. I’m stumped at why some are negative on it and always hinting that he “might” not actually come here - based on their own speculations.

We used to celebrate getting early verbals from guys like Waiters and MCW.
That was before the g league.

Orange Ray to the Orange courtesy phone please... ;)

Old school -
DC & Stevie.

More recent -
MCW & Rak
Jonny & Donté

Contrary to many fans’ opinions/expectations , we don’t actually successfully recruit a ton of top talent.

Now - many guys we do get turn out better than their rankings, but few come in highly ranked.

And almost never multiple top recruits in a given class
Our recruiting isn’t what it used to be. To deny that is to deny reality. Yes, in the past we rarely got top 10 guys, but we landed guys in the top 50 on the regular almost every year (including multiple top 50 players in some years). We’re not doing that anymore. Other people have provided the stats, and I’m not going to bother repeating them here. The slight downturn in recruiting is real, and it coincides with a somewhat diminished product on the court for 4-5 years now. Of course we’ve always developed lower ranked players but we also landed top 50 talent as well.

Last edited:
Exactly. But Nova and Virginia are now regularly landing top 50 recruits with lower rated guys mixed in. We need to get back to that sweet spot in recruiting, and I think with Dior’s commitment (and hopefully Westry or Zion and Benny Williams and Starling), we will.

Yet parity increases each year imo.

Great coaches
or poor rankings...

I really feel a lot of these "5 star" players are not that great these days.

a bunch of freshman arent usually gonna be dominant...

So...

“We dont recruit good enough players”

“Well, we got Dior.”

“Yeah, but he’s TOO good, he’ll go pro.”
Why can’t we just say he’s committed verbally*?

Exactly. But Nova and Virginia are now regularly landing top 50 recruits with lower rated guys mixed in. We need to get back to that sweet spot in recruiting, and I think with Dior’s commitment (and hopefully Westry or Zion and Benny Williams and Starling), we will.

What’s regularly? UVA has 2 top 50 signees in the last 4 cycles. Since 2014 we have had a higher ranked class than them 4 times.

Villanova's best players weren't even ranked in the top 100. It forced one of their best recruits ever to transfer.

Last edited:
Does anyone else find it odd that The G-league commissioners son is committed to play in college this year?

but so are the "bluebloods"
...its gonna get weird...
or maybe just more like it was in 80/90s...with almost all players staying 4 years even if they average like 11 points one season and feel professional.

if these few 5stars end up beenfittting from the gleague move it will be a tidal wave, imo.

Were Green and Flynn both 5 star? They were both MAA. I believe Coleman was a MAA and Stevie Thompson was a 2nd team Parade AA. I don't know how that would translate to stars now.

The big difference between then and now is that talent got more evenly distributed because elite players stuck around, then the next crop of elite guys didn't want to sit, so they went where they knew they could play immediately. It was a different and better time.
It’s not about having tons of MAA. It’s about landing the guys just below that. Paul Harris was top 15. He was a year ahead of Flynn but essentially a package deal. Flynn and Green were among the top 20. Scoop and Rick Jackson were top 50-60 range. Waiters and Fab were both top 20 and CJ was top 60. MCW and Rak were top 25 kids and Cooney was 50-100. Jerami Grant was in the top 40. Ennis was top 25. CMac was top 15. Gbinije, though a transfer, had been a top 50 guy. Malachi was top 25 and Lydon among the top 75. This is all within a 7-8 year period. We haven’t landed any recruits rated that high since Tyus Battle (until Dior). It’s a downturn anyway you look at it.

What’s regularly? UVA has 2 top 50 signees in the last 4 cycles. Since 2014 we have had a higher ranked class than them 4 times.

Villanova's best players weren't even ranked in the top 100. It forced one of their best recruits ever to transfer.
Wrong. UVA’s national championship team was built with top 50 guys like Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome and top 75 guys like Diakite and Hunter. We haven’t landed any players rated that high since Tyus.

Nova won championships with a slew of top 50 and top 100 recruits like Brunson, Ochefu, Omari Spellman, Josh Hart, Ryan Archie, DiVincenzo, Kris Jenkins, Mikal Bridges, Phil Booth, etc.

Wrong. UVA’s national championship team was built with top 50 guys like Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome and top 75 guys like Diakite and Hunter. We haven’t landed any players rated that high since Tyus.

Nova won championships with a slew of top 50 and top 100 recruits like Brunson, Ochefu, Omari Spellman, Josh Hart, Ryan Archie, DiVincenzo, Kris Jenkins, Mikal Bridges, Phil Booth, etc.

This stuff is real easy to lookup so I am not sure why you are messing with the data and now you moved the goalposts to include top 100.

Diakite was not a top RCSI 100 player. Hunter was 74. Guy and Jerome came in the same year as Battle. They ended up being better players than Tyus. We took Taurean Thompson the year Hunter was recruited. Obviously looking back that was a mistake. I went back to 2017 and their recruiting is very much the same as ours.

You're going back to 2013 with Nova recruiting when our recruiting was very much the same as theirs.
Archidiacano-not top 50
Jenkins=rated lower than Tyler Roberson who we took
Ochefu=We took Jeremi Grant
Hart=Ranked 94(we got Gbinije on a transfer)
Divencenzo- We went after. He was ranked 124 and we passed
Booth=Ranked 84(we took Kaleb Joseph ranked 51)
Bridges=Ranked 96(we took MCDAA Malachi Richardson)
Brunson=We passed(dumb zone decision)

Last year Villanova was lead by Saddiq Bey and Conor Gillespie. They both were ranked outside the top 100. Their McDonalds All American played 16 games and averaged 1 point.
Spellman=ranked 20

It’s not about having tons of MAA. It’s about landing the guys just below that. Paul Harris was top 15. He was a year ahead of Flynn but essentially a package deal. Flynn and Green were among the top 20. Scoop and Rick Jackson were top 50-60 range. Waiters and Fab were both top 20 and CJ was top 60. MCW and Rak were top 25 kids and Cooney was 50-100. Jerami Grant was in the top 40. Ennis was top 25. CMac was top 15. Gbinije, though a transfer, had been a top 50 guy. Malachi was top 25 and Lydon among the top 75. This is all within a 7-8 year period. We haven’t landed any recruits rated that high since Tyus Battle (until Dior). It’s a downturn anyway you look at it.

Jaley Carey was Top 50, IIRC.
#38 in ESPN Top 100.
Just because he didn't work out, does NOT mean he wasn't a highly ranked 'croot.

OSB and QG were each the #1 guy in Canada their respective years.

You were saying?... :rolleyes: