UK, Duke and UNC each has 6 top recruits coming in | Syracusefan.com

UK, Duke and UNC each has 6 top recruits coming in

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
Including 11 out of the 29 five star players. It's criminal. https://n./team_rankings/2020/all-teams/basketball
Need to insert r i v a l s

We have 1 top recruit who might come here in 3 years... if we’re lucky. I guess those of us who want something more must not be real fans, right?

We have 1 top recruit who might come here in 3 years... if we’re lucky. I guess those of us who want something more must not be realistic fans, right?
FIFY. We don’t get the players they do, because we don’t recruit like they do. Even if we wanted to, the NCAA would give us the death penalty.

FIFY. We don’t get the players they do, because we don’t recruit like they do. Even if we wanted to, the NCAA would give us the death penalty.
We used to recruit at a high level for decades.

Can you or someone else tell me when SU got more than one 5 star recruit in class? How many tines? How ofen did SU get more than 2 top 50 in a class?

Can you or someone else tell me when SU got more than one 5 star recruit in class? How many tines? How ofen did SU get more than 2 top 50 in a class?

Orange Ray to the Orange courtesy phone please... ;)

Old school -
DC & Stevie.

More recent -
MCW & Rak
Jonny & Donté

Contrary to many fans’ opinions/expectations , we don’t actually successfully recruit a ton of top talent.

Now - many guys we do get turn out better than their rankings, but few come in highly ranked.

And almost never multiple top recruits in a given class

A quick look did bring up this tidbit. According to Athlon from 2000 to 2013, SU had 3 of the top 25 recruiting classes. #20; 2007 with Flynn, Green, Jackson and Jardine. #19; 2010 with Fair, Melo, Waiters and Keita. #3; 2002 with Melo, Edlin, Gorman and McNamara.

This ranking is based more on production/results than on individual recruit ranking. I did see inin another story how the Fab Melo class was highly touted but 2 of the players (Kzrlton Hines and Winfred Walton) never played a game for SU

A quick look did bring up this tidbit. According to Athlon from 2000 to 2013, SU had 3 of the top 25 recruiting classes. #20; 2007 with Flynn, Green, Jackson and Jardine. #19; 2010 with Fair, Melo, Waiters and Keita. #3; 2002 with Melo, Edlin, Gorman and McNamara.

This ranking is based more on production/results than on individual recruit ranking. I did see inin another story how the Fab Melo class was highly touted but 2 of the players (Kzrlton Hines and Winfred Walton) never played a game for SU
Fab Melo's class had Dion Waiters, CJ Fair and Keita. That was a very productive class overall. Karlton Hines and Winfred Walton were back in the 1990's.

Fab Melo's class had Dion Waiters, CJ Fair and Keita. That was a very productive class overall.
Karlton Hines and Winfred Walton were back in the 1990's.

Agreed 144%!
Fab & Dion were the headliners, but clearly CJ (coming off an injury) and Baye ended up playing much better than their rankings.

This is pretty much the best-case scenario for Cuse 'crootin' -
1-2 studs* who are 1 or 2-and-done, and 1-2 great program guys who help us for 4 years.

* for Syracuse, 'stud' doesn't often mean a 5*, it's usually a very good 4* kid.
Guys like Jerami, Ennis, Mali, Tyus, Rico, etc. fit the bill here.

Found this link

What the article doesn't say (I think) about the Owens class is it also included Mike Hopins who red shirted his freshman year.

Misread the other article (I have sn eye infection hindering my reading) which I thought implierd tha Hines and Walton were in Fan Melo's recruiting class. Thanks for the correction orangefog.

Last edited:
Missing the point that our recruiting has nosedived the last 5 years. Everyone has a short memory I guess.

That was before the one and done went crazy. When 5 star's stayed at their schools for more than a couple of years, kids would go to Syracuse, UConn, etc because they could get immediate playing time. For the most part, even the 5 stars we got, we didn't beat out Kentucky or Duke for. Now that kids leave after a year, Kentucky and Duke and the other true elite recruiters have room for the next years 5 stars. It really isn't any more complicated than that. Some guys like Hop and Weaver have a magic touch. But even still, our best teams in 2010 and 2012 were not made up of 5 star guys.

That was before the one and done went crazy. When 5 star's stayed at their schools for more than a couple of years, kids would go to Syracuse, UConn, etc because they could get immediate playing time. For the most part, even the 5 stars we got, we didn't beat out Kentucky or Duke for. Now that kids leave after a year, Kentucky and Duke and the other true elite recruiters have room for the next years 5 stars. It really isn't any more complicated than that. Some guys like Hop and Weaver have a magic touch. But even still, our best teams in 2010 and 2012 were not made up of 5 star guys.

I'm not sure why this is soo hard for some to understand.

Including 11 out of the 29 five star players. It's criminal. https://n./team_rankings/2020/all-teams/basketball
Need to insert r i v a l s

We should def go big Game Hunting more than we do. Offering and Seriously chasing the Best of the Best each year in the Recruiting Class. Not just throwing out the offer like everyother program in the country and hope the recruit sees it. We are Syracuse not Alcorn State.

When the NCAA allows players earn money from their likeness, then only the rich teams will get the best players.

Schools and athletes in bigger markets will also benefit more from the new rule.

We should def go big Game Hunting more than we do. Offering and Seriously chasing the Best of the Best each year in the Recruiting Class. Not just throwing out the offer like everyother program in the country and hope the recruit sees it. We are Syracuse not Alcorn State.

Ah, another of the “just recruit HARDER” camp. :rolleyes:

Just like dating, right?
If the hottie doesn’t want you, just TRY HARDER!! ;)

You clearly don’t follow our recruiting very closely.
We always go after at least a handful of top recruits pretty much every year.
But - when it becomes apparent that it’s not meant to be -
we move on to the “girl next door”.

Ah, another of the “just recruit HARDER” camp. :rolleyes:

Just like dating, right?
If the hottie doesn’t want you, just TRY HARDER!! ;)

You clearly don’t follow our recruiting very closely.
We always go after at least a handful of top recruits pretty much every year.
But - when it becomes apparent that it’s not meant to be -
we move on to the “girl next door”.

They all can't go to Kentucky, Duke, and UNC.

Sometimes its okay to date the goodlooking president of the student council with a six pack, instead of the Hot Captain of the Football Team with the 12 pack.

Some of you seem to like playing this “Dior MIGHT come here” card a little too much.

Kid is an SU commit. What else do you want at this point?
Honest question here. Currently is he a verbal commit? Or has he actually signed a letter of intent? Can he even do that at his age?