Unacceptable. | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Unacceptable.

Second half of Georgetown on tape proves this is a weak ass take

Did you watch that 2nd half replay? You’d see you are wrong.

And what is weak about today’s take? We scored 1 basket in the second half with Jalen on the court during his 4 min run. Don’t know why but it’s what happened.

This whole scenario is Wildhack’s doing! Hopkins should be coaching this team. Instead he’s winning with the 2-3 and a better offense while we are living with isolation and mediocre defense.
Are you kidding? Hopkins is barely winning and will do no better than cuse this year with similar top 25 preseason team. Hops a good guy but nothing to point to as a better coach

Are you kidding? Hopkins is barely winning and will do no better than cuse this year with similar top 25 preseason team. Hops a good guy but nothing to point to as a better coach

he took a 7 win team who lost the number 1 pick in the draft and made them a 20 win team.

he has lost to a very good Va Tech team and the number 1 team at the time Gonzaga this year.

Need me to point out more? We can talking about talent and recruiting advantages well.

he took a 7 win team who lost the number 1 pick in the draft and made them a 20 win team.

he has lost to a very good Va Tech team and the number 1 team at the time Gonzaga this year.

Need me to point out more? We can talking about talent and recruiting advantages well.
Also has a top 25 team with everyone back and not beating anyone. Can’t have it both ways. If he made last years team good then he is disappointing this year. Two ears and two NiT’s is same as always for Washington

Finally getting a chance to watch this game. It's becoming increasingly tiring to have to watch Dolezaj used at the center position because Chukwu and Sidibe cannot handle their position. Thought we looked best at the end of the first half with Hughes and Dolezaj on the wings.

Also has a top 25 team with everyone back and not beating anyone. Can’t have it both ways. If he made last years team good then he is disappointing this year. Two ears and two NiT’s is same as always for Washington

They lost 2 games against top 15 teams and the number 1 team this year and a pretty solid Minnesota team. Stop...

Also one more observation...at the under 13 and the timeout at just over one minute to go in the cut shots it showed ODU's bench completely locked in to their head coach. In both shots for Cuse, side conversations going on between Cuse players and coaches.

32D7E03A-103F-4EEF-9A9D-1FC08258C1CE.gif

I'm not insisting anything. I am simply stating as fact that we have gone to two final fours in 6 years.

While also simultaneously pushing your agenda that our recent success in March renders our continued struggles in the regular season irrelevant.

In my opinion, regular season conference wins is the best metric for judging the true strength of a P5 program. Miraculous conference and NCAA runs are what make headlines, but whether you can grind it out over the course of 2.5 months/18-20 games and win games, half of which are on the road, against your peer schools is the true testament of how good you are. I will consider Syracuse to be "back" when we are winning 2/3rds of our games in conference again as opposed to going 8-10 or 9-9.

The better regular season conference record you have means a better NCAA tourney seed, which is directly correlated with how far you go in the tourney.

And how many rebounds would SU get with a front line of Dolezaj, Battle and Hughes? Dolezaj is a stopgap at center and gets pushed around by anyone with size. Hughes is not a rebounder. Neither is Battle.
Good point and one I considered as a weakness of this lineup. All I am trying to do is get players on the floor that seem to want to win. As far as not getting rebounds, we are not getting them now. I think we need to go with the players that can move the ball and have a knack for scoring. All we have to pick from is the players we have this year. I hesitate to throw the towel in on Chukwu and Brissett but they need to sit a bit and think about how they can help this team win. One step at a time. We know they can do it, just like the NCAAs last year.

and yet in the past 6 years we have been to two final fours and a sweet 16
the 2012 - 2013 team was a solid team, well rounded. The run to the final four in 2015 - 16 was a nice run but the team had a very average regular season and was never really in the game vs UNC in the final four. The team took advantage of a first round upset of the 2 seed and had a couple of breaks in the round of 16 & 8 games, again congrats to them.

overall, since the 12-13 team the level of basketball has been on a decline. The sweet sixteen was a decent run but overall the season was pretty bad. We will see where this season goes but without drastic change we are an NIT team which would mean 3 years of NIT or no tournament in the last 5 (and please don't say one was self imposed, they were going nowhere that year regardless).

Do you see any development this year in any of our returning players (Brissett, Battle, Dolejaz, Chukwu)? Do you see the team being better next year? Please tell me ODU and Buffalo did not get pretty much what they wanted offensively the last 10 minutes of each game while we pretty much went one and one and launched horrible shots. When was the last time Syracuse took the ball out of the net after the opposing team scored and ran a fast break? We play slow, beyond slow and that is coaching. The game has sped up and left us to play 50 - 60 point rock fights on a nightly basis although we are "Tall and Long" for what that is worth.

the 2012 - 2013 team was a solid team, well rounded. The run to the final four in 2015 - 16 was a nice run but the team had a very average regular season and was never really in the game vs UNC in the final four. The team took advantage of a first round upset of the 2 seed and had a couple of breaks in the round of 16 & 8 games, again congrats to them.

overall, since the 12-13 team the level of basketball has been on a decline. The sweet sixteen was a decent run but overall the season was pretty bad. We will see where this season goes but without drastic change we are an NIT team which would mean 3 years of NIT or no tournament in the last 5 (and please don't say one was self imposed, they were going nowhere that year regardless).

Do you see any development this year in any of our returning players (Brissett, Battle, Dolejaz, Chukwu)? Do you see the team being better next year? Please tell me ODU and Buffalo did not get pretty much what they wanted offensively the last 10 minutes of each game while we pretty much went one and one and launched horrible shots. When was the last time Syracuse took the ball out of the net after the opposing team scored and ran a fast break? We play slow, beyond slow and that is coaching. The game has sped up and left us to play 50 - 60 point rock fights on a nightly basis although we are "Tall and Long" for what that is worth.
I always laugh when I hear the old team took advantage of the #2 seed losing argument. You mean the team we beat just last year? The team that the team that beat them, we smoked. Make your argument without that nonsense. there is a case to be made. But it's not made by trying to take away from what the 2016 team did. They did beat the #1 seed on the way to the final four.

At other underperforming college programs, if the coach stays at least the assistants get switched out.
That’s exactly what JB did when we were in our 2 most recent NIT slumps. Ditched Orr for Weaver. Then later it was Murphy and Hop took command.

The all alum staff just reminds me of Coach P’s eastern Connecticut fraternity during his final years. No outside thinking and nobody will challenge the status quo. If they were elite recruiters then we’d all be more forgiving of these issues, but at best we’re getting mid ACC level talents. The last golden era was largely on the backs of elite McDs talent or pretty darn close to it.

It’s on the staff to win with the players they sign. Rosters change but the staff is the only constant in the last 5 years.

I always laugh when I hear the old team took advantage of the #2 seed losing argument. You mean the team we beat just last year? The team that the team that beat them, we smoked. Make your argument without that nonsense. there is a case to be made. But it's not made by trying to take away from what the 2016 team did. They did beat the #1 seed on the way to the final four.
I agree with your comment, I am saying your argument that a sweet sixteen and final four run are reasons to say the program is not in decline do not support the overall picture.

Do you disagree there is a real possibility barring a major turnaround this year, that we will miss the NCAA tournament for the 3rd time in 5 years? Do you not think we play at a very slow pace while the game has changed? (how many times does Frank Howard dribble for the first 13 - 15 seconds of the shot clock, many times going east/west, then we try a pick and roll with a center who is an absolute zero offensive threat)Do you disagree that the returning players on the team this year have shown little to no improvement from last year? Do you see the program improving next year (I know there are some unknowns)?

The arguement that we have a final four and sweet sixteen in the last 5 years masks some pretty average at best seasons.

This is such a poor demand and argument.

I agree with your comment, I am saying your argument that a sweet sixteen and final four run are reasons to say the program is not in decline do not support the overall picture.

Do you disagree there is a real possibility barring a major turnaround this year, that we will miss the NCAA tournament for the 3rd time in 5 years? Do you not think we play at a very slow pace while the game has changed? (how many times does Frank Howard dribble for the first 13 - 15 seconds of the shot clock, many times going east/west, then we try a pick and roll with a center who is an absolute zero offensive threat)Do you disagree that the returning players on the team this year have shown little to no improvement from last year? Do you see the program improving next year (I know there are some unknowns)?

The arguement that we have a final four and sweet sixteen in the last 5 years masks some pretty average at best seasons.
Maybe you missed the part in my post that said there is a case to be made for what you are saying. It just isn't that we were lucky in 2016. We weren't. I will also add that I have no idea how we will finish this year. Basketball is a funny game and I still believe that there is a good team in there somewhere. hopefully, JB can figure out how to get it.

This is such a poor demand and argument.
Really? How so? Did we not make the final four in 2016? Did we not beat the #1 seed to get there? I asked that he make his argument without saying that 2016 was luck. That seems reasonable to me.

Goal posts are moving
I'm sure if you went back to Boeheim interviews from the early 1990s, after a couple of early NCAA exits, he would have said regular season matters. I'm glad the team went on a couple of recent runs. It was awesome to watch, and they gelled at the right time. Regular season matters more over the long term. Even perpetual choker Jay Wright finally got his titles because he kept the team in the 1/2 seed territory

Really? How so? Did we not make the final four in 2016? Did we not beat the #1 seed to get there? I asked that he make his argument without saying that 2016 was luck. That seems reasonable to me.

It was luck. MSU looked past Middle Tennessee. No way they ever would have looked past us. And we didn't look past MTSU after what they did to MSU.

That's reasonable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom