Unacceptable. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Unacceptable.

This was supposed to be a team that was at the top of the acc possible elite 8 team. Another bubble year is not acceptable.

If I’m Wildhack I don’t let this continue for three more years. I know that JB is a legend and wants to go out “on his own terms”, but what will it take to show that perhaps results will dictate whether or not he gets that choice?

This whole team has regressed, if that's even somehow possible. Howard is hurt, Battle and Brisett think they're NBA players, Chukwu shouldn't even be playing basketball and Marek is MIA since last year's tournament. Part of the blame here has to be on the coaching staff.

I am ridliciously positive when it goes to Dino Babers because the guy gives confidence and shows he will work on our weakness. The secondary year one was bad he has recruited like crazy for our secondary.
He gets it. Now Dino makes mistakes but I know he won’t be stagnant. Thus I really am positive on football.
When it comes to basketball our coach doesn’t change and it’s maddening. We have been medicore for far too long. Thank goodness for the postseason runs but even then our brand of basketball sucks to watch.
It’s insane that watching our games is so hard. Our coach is passive aggressive and doesn’t show a willingness to change.
It’s so frustrating.
He did change. A little bit.
That light two-man pressure thing, to shrink the shot clock—that's new, isn't it?
In the last game, and even in parts of this one—we move the ball around much quicker, no? Not that most of it is 'effective' movement, but it's something...

Why is it all or nothing with some people? My solution would be for him to stop being so stubborn and switch up his offense. It’s so predictable at this point and it’s not working.
At other underperforming college programs, if the coach stays at least the assistants get switched out.

Not saying you, but it wasn’t too long ago that 1/2 this board didn’t want anything to do with Hop as our HC.
Which half, though?
Half the country v... Whoops. Wrong Board...

Last edited:
If I’m Wildhack I don’t let this continue for three more years. I know that JB is a legend and wants to go out “on his own terms”, but what will it take to show that perhaps results will dictate whether or not he gets that choice?

This whole scenario is Wildhack’s doing! Hopkins should be coaching this team. Instead he’s winning with the 2-3 and a better offense while we are living with isolation and mediocre defense.

The sanctions are why JB is still coaching. I don’t blame JB for not wanting to let the POS corrupt NCAA drive him out.
If we don’t get the sanctions I think JB retires.
Now we are stuck thru atleast Buddy graduating with the status quo.
The successor to JB can not be Gerry McNamara that will break the fanbase in half.

So, lemme axe y'all this:

We've had heated 'discussion' in the past about whether our All Zone scheme hurts or doesn't hurt our players in terms of their NBA prospects and subsequent play on Defense. But, at some point in the last decade, we supposedly changed from a team that practiced Man most of the time, while playing Zone in games, to a team that only practices Zone. So, does it have an effect on our Offensive skills to only be faced with Zone in practice?

If, in the past, our guys were running offense against the types of Defenses they were most likely to see, might that have better prepared them? Are we seeing stunted, clueless offense now because they are forced to develop 'differently' now? Something is different. We have th same assistants/staff for the most part.

Here's the other thing—our zone fans always seem to remind us that 'the defense is great, but the offense sucks.' But, ODom played better defense than we did, apparently. With a bunch of non-4/5 star kids, on our floor. No one mentioned their D. So, really, how good could ours have been? I'm kinda sick of seeing someone respond with a cherry-picked stat. At some point, you have to actually look at what's happening on the floor, not on the page.
When they practice defense, they practice only zone. When you practice offense, you have to (should) practice sets, which vary against a zone or man. You have to work on both, because you don't control what the opponent will employ and most teams will use some of both. So, I don't think our zone makes our offense worse, except for the fact that I don't think we really work on a structured offense. JBs teams used to run different sets at different points in games. I haven't seen evidence of this in several years.

The sanctions are why JB is still coaching. I don’t blame JB for not wanting to let the POS corrupt NCAA drive him out.
The successor to JB can not be Gerry McNamara that will break the fanbase in half.

No one is owed a job. Not even James Arthur Boeheim.

I took a couple of hours off to let this one settle in. Confused how a team that got to the sweet 16 last year can return all of its players, add Hughes and Carey but still be less than last year at the end? Is it the players or the coaches, I just do not know? Maybe a bit of each. We can not will our under performing centers to be better. That may come only with better plays and practice. But we just had one entire week to get ready for this fiasco. No excuses for missing so many free throws, no excuse for the seemingly continuous lack of effort, even "don't worry, we have this" attitude throughout the game. Then to give ODU credit for a great defense is a laugh. Five senior citizens from an adult center using walkers can stop our offense that loves to throw it back and forth outside at the top. We keep passing until we get a missed pass or tipped pass and lose possession. For some unknown reason this team was not prepared to play today. Just have to erase this game from my head and hope they can get their collective heads screwed on straight before the next game. At this point I would prefer to see Dolezaj at center, Battle & Hughes at forward and Frank with Carey at the guards. Let Chewy and OB sit a bit and figure out how they could help us get better. If needed, move Sidibie to center and Dolezaj to forward to put Frank or Carey on the bench if they are not performing. Next person off bench...Braswell. At least he can jump.

There always exceptions to the rule.
JB earned the right to call his own exit barring something really illegal.
None of the chit the NCAA used against us was legitimate.
That is why JB wasn’t letting them push him out.
He won’t embrace change though and I am sorry but he doesn’t get to choose his successor now after Hopkins left. I will go crazy if the next head coach is Gerry McNamara and I get I am loud but it will be beyond stupid if the next HC is on the staff now and it’s not Red Autry.

There always exceptions to the rule.
JB earned the right to call his own exit barring something really illegal.
None of the chit the NCAA used against us was legitimate.
That is why JB wasn’t letting them push him out.
He won’t embrace change though and I am sorry but he doesn’t get to choose his successor now after Hopkins left. I will go crazy if the next head coach is Gerry McNamara and I get I am loud but it will be beyond stupid if the next HC is on the staff now and it’s not Red Autry.

If any of the three deserves the job it’s Red. It’s not Gerry, that’s for damn sure.

When they practice defense, they practice only zone. When you practice offense, you have to (should) practice sets, which vary against a zone or man. You have to work on both, because you don't control what the opponent will employ and most teams will use some of both. So, I don't think our zone makes our offense worse, except for the fact that I don't think we really work on a structured offense. JBs teams used to run different sets at different points in games. I haven't seen evidence of this in several years.
I'll buy some of that. But, to take an oft-cited example, and to make an exaggerated, very simpleminded version of it: James Harden sucked against our zone. And yet, he's one of the best offensive players against man. I have to believe there are consequences for our offense to only practice against our zone defense, and then turn around and have to try to execute the same sets against man. It's just not an ideal or logical scenario. And now it reminds me of our Centers and how we have Allen Griffin(?) coaching them. Not ideal or logical. If someone were going in for a job interview, the guy doing the hiring would ostensibly be looking for an applicant with the most practical experience, not someone who is just a 'hire from within' guy who could then learn the skills later. Not ideal. That kind of perspective assumes there's just not that much difference between 'things,' when there really is enough difference to make a difference. It's not a binary thing, where you either suck or you're perfect. If something is 5% less than it needs to be, 5% can translate into a loss like we saw today. And over the long haul, a loss today and a loss two weeks ago, and a loss next week add up to another bubble, which leads to another better recruit looking elsewhere, and then it's rinse, repeat, and we're in the same position all over again.

Spot on. If JB had his 100 wins back he’d be happily retired by now. Btw Gerry for HC would get <5% support; no way Wildhack ever considers that seriously.

Splitting hairs here, but even i say JB is as close to 'being owed a job' as any coach ever. His off-court work, his bringing Juli to us, and his 'settling' for less than market value for so long... The question is 'for how long is he owed a job.' I was happy when he announced the first retirement. Now i'm resigned to having him finish with Buddy, and i'm so glad Buddy doesn't seem inclined to Redshirt... : )

Seriously, though— what's the AD going to do? He can't possibly fire JB.

Splitting hairs here, but even i say JB is as close to 'being owed a job' as any coach ever. His off-court work, his bringing Juli to us, and his 'settling' for less than market value for so long... The question is 'for how long is he owed a job.' I was happy when he announced the first retirement. Now i'm resigned to having him finish with Buddy, and i'm so glad Buddy doesn't seem inclined to Redshirt... : )

Seriously, though— what's the AD going to do? He can't possibly fire JB.

Wildhack created this situation. He needs to set a retirement date and be done with it. Who know, maybe he and JB have already done so.

By all rights, JB should of retired last year. Sanctions be damned.

If any of the three deserves the job it’s Red. It’s not Gerry, that’s for damn sure.
Gmac is my all time fave cuse player but he's simply.not getting the job.done right now.

Lack of effort is as much on yhe coaches as players. Players just like throwing up 3 pointers. To hard to drive lane for these players today.
Opponents don't have to worry about our centers so they can clog the lane to stop the drivers. So you get more 3 point attempts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom