Unacceptable. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Unacceptable.

Leaders?
What leaders?
Is this serious? The one who hit a last possession shot to beat georgetown last week and a senior point guard who helped get a bad team to the sweet 16.

Hughes is playing solid as well

This whole program just has a stale feel to it. No energy. No excitement. Just boring brand of basketball. Pretty depressing.

This is my problem. I can handle bad losses if there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Hoping to win half our conference games to sneak into the tournament and maybe go on another run, is not a light at the end of the tunnel for me.

marek played 21 min and took 2 shots?????????he needs to shoot more outside

This is my problem. I can handle bad losses if there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Hoping to win half our conference games to sneak into the tournament and maybe go on another run, is not a light at the end of the tunnel for me.

somebody posted a video of the Cleveland st game the other day, I remember that loss and kinda laughed it off when it happened and wasn't even upset in the slightest. With the current direction we're heading or have been heading it's been very frustrating.

So, lemme axe y'all this:

We've had heated 'discussion' in the past about whether our All Zone scheme hurts or doesn't hurt our players in terms of their NBA prospects and subsequent play on Defense. But, at some point in the last decade, we supposedly changed from a team that practiced Man most of the time, while playing Zone in games, to a team that only practices Zone. So, does it have an effect on our Offensive skills to only be faced with Zone in practice?

If, in the past, our guys were running offense against the types of Defenses they were most likely to see, might that have better prepared them? Are we seeing stunted, clueless offense now because they are forced to develop 'differently' now? Something is different. We have th same assistants/staff for the most part.

Here's the other thing—our zone fans always seem to remind us that 'the defense is great, but the offense sucks.' But, ODom played better defense than we did, apparently. With a bunch of non-4/5 star kids, on our floor. No one mentioned their D. So, really, how good could ours have been? I'm kinda sick of seeing someone respond with a cherry-picked stat. At some point, you have to actually look at what's happening on the floor, not on the page.

Gotta roll the dice with Marek at the 5 in a lineup that also has Hughes and Carey. Both Hughes and Carey crash the defensive boards well which leads to opportunities for run outs.

It’s pretty clear to me that something’s still up with Frank and I have no idea what’s going on with Oshae. He’s off on an island somewhere. Complete regression from last year.

As others have said, Marek when he’s in, is often the lynchpin that takes our offense up a notch. I saw a great play where he ran a give and go to a baseline cutting Hughes. I can’t remember if Hughes made the layup, but the point is that MD makes plays when he’s in the game and has the ball.

IMO our best offensive lineup is

Carey
Battle
Hughes
Oshae
Dolezaj

and it’s not particularly close, either.

Gotta roll the dice with Marek at the 5 in a lineup that also has Hughes and Carey. Both Hughes and Carey crash the defensive boards well which leads to opportunities for run outs.

It’s pretty clear to me that something’s still up with Frank and I have no idea what’s going on with Oshae. He’s off on an island somewhere. Complete regression from last year.

As others have said, Marek when he’s in, is often the lynchpin that takes our offense up a notch. I saw a great play where he ran a give and go to a baseline cutting Hughes. I can’t remember if Hughes made the layup, but the point is that MD makes plays when he’s in the game and has the ball.

IMO our best offensive lineup is

Carey
Battle
Hughes
Oshae
Dolezaj

and it’s not particularly close, either.

That group struggled to score at all today. Both our dry spells in each half had that group (maybe chewy for some of the minutes).

More Marek, less Hughes.

Marek was the key to our run last year!

Sweet 12 foot jumper, hustles, great court vision.

Did you even watch the game? Marek was as mediocre as everyone else today. He may be an improvement over the other centers, but if you think the offense is bad now then wait until you see it with two non scorers on the court.

Did you even watch the game? Marek was as mediocre as everyone else today. He may be an improvement over the other centers, but if you think the offense is bad now then wait until you see it with two non scorers on the court.

He is a troll. I can’t believe more haven’t caught on. Literally nothing he posts is genuine.

Marek is not a “non-scorer.” I’ll fight that to the death with anyone on this board.

Win lose doesn’t matter - it’s been 5 years of unwatchable offense and there’s no accountability in this forum, in the media, or by the coaches.

Just cannot create good shots.

Marek outside of a few games in his career is exactly how you'd describe a non scorer.

Sure. He was the key to our run in March and has shown more offensive capability than Chukwu or Sidibe ever have.

How many guys on our team can knock down a mid-range jumper in the corner on the baseline like he did today?

I’ll wait.

That answer isn't acceptable. He is what he is. He isn't going to change. Not after 43 years. When he just rolls his eyes at you when you suggest he change, what do you suggest we do?
I think we can all agree there is and has been offensive problems for a number of years. I think it was 3 years ago JB started Coleman, Roberson and Howard, 3 guys who would shoot a combined 35percent from 5 feet and in. I really wonder if JB watches practice. He recruits for defense but the game has become much more offensive oriented. We are watching Woody Hayes part 2, the game has changed but not the coach. How many times down the stretch did ODU get exactly what they wanted on offense. We are the easiest team to game plan for in D1. Watch off the ball and tell me there is any player movement. It is non existent.

I think we can all agree there is and has been offensive problems for a number of years. I think it was 3 years ago JB started Coleman, Roberson and Howard, 3 guys who would shoot a combined 35percent from 5 feet and in. I really wonder if JB watches practice. He recruits for defense but the game has become much more offensive oriented. We are watching Woody Hayes part 2, the game has changed but not the coach. How many times down the stretch did ODU get exactly what they wanted on offense. We are the easiest team to game plan for in D1. Watch off the ball and tell me there is any player movement. It is non existent.
and yet in the past 6 years we have been to two final fours and a sweet 16

and yet in the past 6 years we have been to two final fours and a sweet 16

Oh dear god. Here we go again with the “but 5% of our games, you know, the ones that truly matter and should cloud the other 95% as irrelevant, we did really well!” Argument.

From a naive perspective, JB has been a lazy coach for some time.
Adopt the zone and apply it to all situations, so you don't have to scout or scheme for individual opponent players.
'Fix it at the half,' so you don't have to scout or scheme for individual opponent players.
Run Iso offense, so you don't have to create or teach offensive plays or scheme or scout for individual opponent mismatches or exploitation opportunities.
Explain that 'we just didn't make shots' so that you don't have to to teach/develop shooting/ball skills, or scheme to get players easier shots at more advantageous places on the court and/or within the shot clock.
Don't play away games unless absolutely required.
Don't recruit outside of a 2 hour flight region.
Don't hire non-alums, so you don't need to be challenged by outside thinking.

Unfortunately, sometimes the naive have valid and accurate perspectives.

This post will likely lead to some rabid responses, but i find it odd that some of us are so quick to defend the coach, but have no problem ripping the kids. Our players do the best they can with what they're given. We really need better talent in order to obviate our issues.

And what about the 'we don't need a different big man coach' thing? We need to both Get and Develop talented bigs. Who was the last center we had in the NBA? If the response is that the trend is away from the traditional post-up center, that's fine, but you have five players on the court, and we can't thrive with one of them being borderline incompetent. We aren't even getting good defense from them.

Adopt the zone and apply it to all situations, so you don't have to scout or scheme for individual opponent players.
'Fix it at the half,' so you don't have to scout or scheme for individual opponent players.
Run Iso offense, so you don't have to create or teach offensive plays or scheme or scout for individual opponent mismatches or exploitation opportunities.
Explain that 'we just didn't make shots' so that you don't have to to teach/develop shooting/ball skills, or scheme to get players easier shots at more advantageous places on the court and/or within the shot clock.

This post will likely lead to some rabid responses, but i find it odd that some of us are so quick to defend the coach, but have no problem ripping the kids. Our players do the best they can with what they're given. We really need better talent in order to obviate our issues.

And what about the 'we don't need a different big man coach' thing? We need to both Get and Develop talented bigs. Who was the last center we had in the NBA? If the response is that the trend is away from the traditional post-up center, that's fine, but you have five players on the court, and we can't thrive with one of them being borderline incompetent. We aren't even getting good defense from them.

One of the best posts I’ve read on here in years. Well done, sir.

I am ridliciously positive when it goes to Dino Babers because the guy gives confidence and shows he will work on our weakness. The secondary year one was bad he has recruited like crazy for our secondary.
He gets it. Now Dino makes mistakes but I know he won’t be stagnant. Thus I really am positive on football.
When it comes to basketball our coach doesn’t change and it’s maddening. We have been medicore for far too long. Thank goodness for the postseason runs but even then our brand of basketball sucks to watch.
It’s insane that watching our games is so hard. Our coach is passive aggressive and doesn’t show a willingness to change.
It’s so frustrating.

This was supposed to be a team that was at the top of the acc possible elite 8 team. Another bubble year is not acceptable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom