UNC blows... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

UNC blows...

Ugh, get a room already. :p

Sorry, we'll stop now.

If you need to find us, we're going over to the Off Topic board to discuss conspiracy theories and the finer points of assembling a basement arsenal.

Sorry, we'll stop now.

If you need to find us, we're going over to the Off Topic board to discuss conspiracy theories and the finer points of assembling a basement arsenal.

Shhhhh!! Now "THEY" know where we (and our "collector's items") will be!!

Sorry, we'll stop now.

I was just playing, but I was getting a headache too keeping up with who liked what. BTW, in case anyone reads it wrong the first time, it is "liked" not "licked".

Syracusefan.com logic: Roy Williams is a bad coach; his 7 Final Fours are devalued because Carolina brings in great recruits. Jim Boeheim is a great coach; he really has more than 3 Final Fours because one of his centers hurt his knee and another of his centers didn't like to attend class.

No orange-colored glasses around here...

I think Roy is a bad coach because his system is rigid and inflexible. It requires great not good pg play, it can only be played at one speed "fast". When it works and it does a lot he is going to blow your doors off, but when it doesn't work they lose; there is no plan B, no adjustments, no sense of game and clock situations with a lead. It is very Mike D'Antoni-est and if D'Antoni was a college coach he would win a ton of games and NC's too, but that does not make him a good tactician (and Mike is better than Roy) of the game. Good coaching isn't about when you have a good team and things are going well, it about when you have less talent or things are going poorly and how you perform in those situations. Roy Williams has more 15+ point loses in the pass 5 years than JB has had in the pass 20 years.

watched some of game last night (not all) and here's what i saw. UNC was sloppy with the ball.texas was jumping out and disrupting almost very pass in the halfcourt set. secondly UNC just wasn't getting back on D leading to many easy transition buckets.hey i'm not gonna knock roy williams as a coach but the key to 2003 imo was our hustling back on D.
pound for pound tarheels probably had the talent edge last night. but texas had the better game plan.

anyone can look like a good offensive coach when you get the best offensive talent every year without even recruiting.

So wouldn't getting "the best offensive talent every year" and then generally winning a ton of games make you a pretty college basketball coach? And how is he doing that without recruiting? It's fine to feel OK about going head to head with Roy in a game, but the dude has been winning a ton of games for a loooooonnnnnnggggg time. At the end of the day he fits the criteria of "pretty remarkable coach" -- regardless of how he does it.

I think Roy is a bad coach because his system is rigid and inflexible. It requires great not good pg play, it can only be played at one speed "fast". When it works and it does a lot he is going to blow your doors off, but when it doesn't work they lose; there is no plan B, no adjustments, no sense of game and clock situations with a lead. It is very Mike D'Antoni-est and if D'Antoni was a college coach he would win a ton of games and NC's too, but that does not make him a good tactician (and Mike is better than Roy) of the game. Good coaching isn't about when you have a good team and things are going well, it about when you have less talent or things are going poorly and how you perform in those situations. Roy Williams has more 15+ point loses in the pass 5 years than JB has had in the pass 20 years.

THIS is exactly my point. He doesnt show us good coaching when his talent level isnt at its highest. A good coach can coach a team to victories at times when they shouldnt be able to win. I have NEVER seen roy do this.

... and they have this to deal with to top it off...

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...c-scandal-african-american-studies-department

A three-month long investigation into academic fraud at the University of North Carolina revealed that not only student-athletes were given added academic benefits within the school's African and Afro-American Studies department.

Rather, students at large benefited from anomalies specific to the department, such as unauthorized grade changes, forged faculty signatures on grade rolls and limited or no class time.

Syracusefan.com logic: Roy Williams is a bad coach; his 7 Final Fours are devalued because Carolina brings in great recruits. Jim Boeheim is a great coach; he really has more than 3 Final Fours because one of his centers hurt his knee and another of his centers didn't like to attend class.

No orange-colored glasses around here...

JB didnt have the luxury of coaching at two monsters in cbb.

Not to nitpick, but Guthridge was the head coach for three years. They were 80-28 and went to the Final Four twice. He went to the Final Four the first time when he inherited Jamison and Carter, got beat in the first round the next year, and then had a bad regular season in his final year before rallying to take the team to the Final Four again. Not exactly a bomb.

That team also had Ed Cota and Shammond Williams on it. That team was loaded.

THIS is exactly my point. He doesnt show us good coaching when his talent level isnt at its highest. A good coach can coach a team to victories at times when they shouldnt be able to win. I have NEVER seen roy do this.

Give an example of when jb did this, just curious.

Who ever thought roy was actually a good coach? Guy has been lucky to be at schools where he didnt have to recruit hard and lways had top talent. He rode that talent to all his wins. Zero coaching

One of the worst posts in syracusefan.com history. Impressive.

Give an example of when jb did this, just curious.

1996...Getting to the final 4 by beating a Roy Williams coached Kansas team that had Paul Pierce, Raef LaFrentz, Scott Pollard, and Jacque Vaughn. There is a reason JB is 3-1 against Roy Williams.

Roy is overrated, that doesnt mean hes terrible it means jack daniels could of won the same amount of games and nc's as him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1996...Getting to the final 4 by beating a Roy Williams coached Kansas team that had Paul Pierce, Raef LaFrentz, Scott Pollard, and Jacque Vaughn. There is a reason JB is 3-1 against Roy Williams.

Interesting. Speaking of four game sample sizes, what's the reason jb is 0-4 against umass?

He also made the national championship game with Mark Randall and Adonis Jordan leading the way.

Interesting. Speaking of four game sample sizes, what's the reason jb is 0-4 against umass?
Yup the last 2 i remember our teams were a mess chemistry wise and umass has some talented teams some years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im assuming you are an SU student...because you know NOTHING about sports. You probably shake your keys on 3rd downs at football games rather than cheering...oh wait..su students dont go to football games because they arent real fans.

Gold Jerry.

I retract my previous statement about historically bad posts---you've actually out done yourself with this one. Where to start...

JB didnt have the luxury of coaching at two monsters in cbb.
JB created a monster in syracuse... Crybaby roy walked into monsters that just needed to be fed a little

Umass had 3 different coaches during that 4 game sample and I believe 2 of the loses came against a Marcus Camby lead team. The point is Roy had a far better team on paper and got out coached. Point is he his offense cannot be run against a good zone defense and he hasn't made any coaching adjustments in 20yrs, because he runs his system and if it doesn't work he loses. The one game he beat JB was because his team pounded us the boards with a bigger stronger front line. Jeremy Mcneil fouled out and we had to play Billy Celuck at center! (enough said) The zone still caused 20 TOs in that game. There is a reason Roy is not involved in USA basketball they don't want him.