UNC Postgame Thoughts | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

UNC Postgame Thoughts

Sorry if this waa brought up, too many comments to read. But the most underrated play of the game goes to Gmac. Under 4 left, Judah was about to get 10 seconds if not for Gmac waving his arms saying to get it across. Our team had no awareness of the violation. GMAC saved a TO in a huge spot.

Actually it wasn’t Gmac. It was Peter Corasaniti the director of operations who sits to Reds left.

last 10 minutes of the game UNC was on pace for 96 points

i just hope that the coaches realize that the zone isnt good enough for sustainable success. it really really isnt.
UNC scored a lot at the end because they had a lot of possessions. They had that many possessions in large part because they were fouling quickly at the other end. Extrapolating from those last few minutes is a false approach.

UNC scored a lot at the end because they had a lot of possessions. They had that many possessions in large part because they were fouling quickly at the other end. Extrapolating from those last few minutes is a false approach.
last 10 minutes. UNC had 24 points...

so 24 x 4 - 96 total points

idk...last 10 minutes is a pretty big sample imo...an important one

SU shooting 62% was incredible effort...that was what won the game NOT THE DEFENSE.

i mean yes SU forced UNC to pass to score...but they did so easily...almost all of their shots in the second half were wide open or uncontested.

even SU shooting at 50% or so and they lose this game

normally shooting 50% should be a win

so yeah...not trying to be a wet blanket

just wanna point out the fact that the defense only maybe might seem good bc the offense was excpetionally good. the offense won the game.

if SU had had a 5 or 9 minue drought for scoring like in most games vs good teams this year they lose by 15, imo

the story of this game was the offense.

the defensive scheme was only good enough to win IF the team shoots 62+% from the field

how many more times is that going to happen???

UNC scored approx 24 points the last 10 minutes of the game

approx 100pts/game pace defense is extremely poor.

SU won. that's great.

but that doesnt mean they played good defense. they didnt. they won despite the defense not becuase of it.

those steals by quadir were exceptional. and saved the game from possibly turning into a loss. UNC still managed 7 points in the last minute of the game - which is on pace for 420pts/game, btw.

I get it the roster is short now...so maybe zone is the only option.

but unless that same level of offensive efficiency continues...we are unfortunately going to see losses to inferior teams due to wide open shot after wide open shot from opponents slicing through the zone.

IF the same level of offensive efficiency does continue, though, I think this team can go to the Final Four...bc UNC is one of the best defenses in the country and they couldnt do anything to stop the Orange last night. Gigantic if, though, of course.
You must be an accountant.

If you are correct, I did not check, UNC scored 24 points in the last 10 minutes and 7 of those points in the last minute, one of which was a free basket. That means UNC scored 17 points in the last 9 minutes. If SU held onto the ball and wasn't fouled numerous times by UNC and SU played defense on the last possession, I claim UNC still would have only scored 17 points in the last 10 minutes. If that is the math, UNC was on a pace to only score 68 points over the course of the game, not 96.

I submit they only got to 79 because SU played man defense to start the game and on a few other possessions and thus, they won because of the zone defense.

That said, SU won becuase they shot the lights out and Hubert Davis is not a great coach. He should have fed Bacot every time down the floor until Maliq was in foul trouble and then the game would have been over no matter what defense was played.

By the way, I hate all zone. I am ecstatic that has not been the case this year, but they are short-handed now and I do expect to see a lot of zone for the remainder of the year.

Sorry if this waa brought up, too many comments to read. But the most underrated play of the game goes to Gmac. Under 4 left, Judah was about to get 10 seconds if not for Gmac waving his arms saying to get it across. Our team had no awareness of the violation. GMAC saved a TO in a huge spot.
...seen the Gmac waving his arms . Glad you brought up the reminder. It had slipped y mind with everything else going on!

last 10 minutes. UNC had 24 points...

so 24 x 4 - 96 total points

idk...last 10 minutes is a pretty big sample imo...an important one

SU shooting 62% was incredible effort...that was what won the game NOT THE DEFENSE.

i mean yes SU forced UNC to pass to score...but they did so easily...almost all of their shots in the second half were wide open or uncontested.

even SU shooting at 50% or so and they lose this game

normally shooting 50% should be a win

so yeah...not trying to be a wet blanket

just wanna point out the fact that the defense only maybe might seem good bc the offense was excpetionally good. the offense won the game.

if SU had had a 5 or 9 minue drought for scoring like in most games vs good teams this year they lose by 15, imo

the story of this game was the offense.

the defensive scheme was only good enough to win IF the team shoots 62+% from the field

how many more times is that going to happen???
Ummm…who cares?

We beat the #7 team in the country who is just on the outside of a #1 seed in the Dance. And the team beat us by 36.

Why do we navel gaze on this one?

Ummm…who cares?

We beat the #7 team in the country who is just on the outside of a #1 seed in the Dance. And the team beat us by 36.

Why do we navel gaze on this one?
great win...but lets build off of that ...after the miami win they lost 3 of 4

just trying to point out things that I observe...weka areas that I see...

in my opinion...any smart team will be able to get any shot they want against this zone...and I dont think the same is the case vs the man...I think the man is the better defense

I think almost all of the losses this season are due to long and porlonged scoring droughts and bad decisions on offense.

i think this team is capable of beating anyone and going on a run...but not if they dont make the right move and adjustements in game...like, for example, continuing with zone when or if it is getting shredded. if i am not mistaken UNC also started scoring much more in the 1st half once SU went zone.

some zone will be necessary due to shortened roster...and maybe it will just have to be played

but i think it is a mistake if people think the zone is better than the man just because they beat UNC with it

So many dumb comments on multiplying out minutes and points. Basketball is a game of Runs, It is a fundamental part of the game. If you want to use metrics and efficiency to predict future results ok whatever, but there is not a single efficiency metric that would ever measure results this way.

I can cherrypick some #'s too. Q forced 3 turnovers in the last 3 minutes of game time 1 turnover per minute, If he plays 30 minutes Saturday night he'll force 30 turnovers. Everyone on this forum is dumber for reading those posts.

I know he didn't do much again but I liked the way Taylor moved and tried to drive a few times. I could see him having a decent game at GT (6-10pts).

He's a guy that should try and get an easy one first or get to the line. See the ball go through and then can work out the rest.

If we had 3 or 4 more bodies, our man would be just fine.
We lost guys who were 7-4, 6-11, 6-8 and 6-6 who could have made a much bigger impact than they did. That crippled our man, because most teams could just overpower us inside. That's why Autry had to go back to zone, to at least have bodies in the way for people wanting to get inside.
The issue is always personnel. We don't match up well inside with most teams. Boeheim never liked worrying about matchups which is why he used the zone.

The issue is always personnel. We don't match up well inside with most teams. Boeheim never liked worrying about matchups which is why he used the zone.

And there is certainly some logic in that. When teams used to play man without so much switching, a team could find a mismatch, post that guy up, and score over and over until the defense decided to double team, or switch defenders.

Also, it allowed his star players to stay on the floor longer. Ger a 2ud foul, not coming out. Tired? Nope. The longer your stars stay on the floor, the better you will do. Worked for a long time.

Also, it allowed his star players to stay on the floor longer. Ger a 2ud foul, not coming out. Tired? Nope. The longer your stars stay on the floor, the better you will do. Worked for a long time.

I remember asking JB one time why Brower didn’t play a little more to give DC a blow. His reply was DC at 80% was better than Brower at 100%.

Boeheim rarely had a deep bench.

I know he didn't do much again but I liked the way Taylor moved and tried to drive a few times. I could see him having a decent game at GT (6-10pts).

He's a guy that should try and get an easy one first or get to the line. See the ball go through and then can work out the rest.
I think you and I might be the last holdouts on Taylor lol.

Boeheim rarely played a deep bench. Doesn't mean he didn't have guys that could have played and could have helped.
I knew that argument was coming. Is that you, Igor?

The comments above about Peter Corasaniti the Director of Operations, got me thinking about seeing UNC Director of Recruiting, Pat Sullivan, leading part of a team huddle during a break in play for a replay review with 1:37 left in the game. I remember the NCAA previously had silly rules about “on court” coaches, glad those days are over.

I knew that argument was coming. Is that you, Igor?
I'm not going to sit here and allow you to bash JB and the staff and say that they couldn't recruit good players for 45 years. That is what you are saying, right? That we didn't have players that could get on the floor for us. Even though many of our guys that left started for other schools. One was the A-10 player of the year. Another made the NBA.

I'm not going to sit here and allow you to bash JB and the staff and say that they couldn't recruit good players for 45 years. That is what you are saying, right? That we didn't have players that could get on the floor for us. Even though many of our guys that left started for other schools. One was the A-10 player of the year. Another made the NBA.

Guys who have left during this century generally have not fared well, though.

I think you and I might be the last holdouts on Taylor lol.
Nah he's been terrible. I'm just saying he didn't look completely shellshocked vs UNC. He actually managed what two points?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom