UNC Postmortem | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

UNC Postmortem

I’m unfamiliar with what game everyone is talking about? UNC? I never saw anything. Definitely never saw anything on ESPN either (Really guys this game never happened and we never speak of it again) okay? Cool
Convince the selection committee of that!

A longtime fan of SU basketball/football, but not a fan of college sports
today (for the obvious reasons). Not arguing with those that like the current
scenario. That's their option and they are welcome to it.

My only comment is if the portal and NIL are major factors, you better
know how to evaluate available talent plus know where to spend your
available $$. If Red and staff thought they were getting quality transfers
they were sadly mistaken this year. It looks like the 2 incoming freshmen
have above average credentials, so maybe that will be a start next year.

I still like the relative stability and commitment that existed years ago, but
then again it's a whole new world out there.

While there are definitely issues with roster makeup and talent, the thing that bothers me is that the team does not seem to compete. When they play a good team that punches them in the mouth our guys don’t respond; they curl curl up in a ball and give up rather than fight back. We almost never seem to respond unless it’s against a less talented team (e.g. Colgate but I guess it’s questionable if they are less talented). I want to see some fight from this guys. That was a very embarrassing loss.

While there are definitely issues with roster makeup and talent, the thing that bothers me is that the team does not seem to compete. When they play a good team that punches them in the mouth our guys don’t respond; they curl curl up in a ball and give up rather than fight back. We almost never seem to respond unless it’s against a less talented team (e.g. Colgate but I guess it’s questionable if they are less talented). I want to see some fight from this guys. That was a very embarrassing loss.
Colgate just lost to a 3 win team and are at 500, we’re more talented than them.

JT could make ten shots in a row, but unfortunately he can’t get a shot off.

My fear is does Red have the pedigree to go out and get impact players from the portal? I think he’s a good recruiter but there may not be a lot to sell after this year other than playing time unfortunately. Moore and Freeman are good and should help, but it’s a lot to ask for a couple freshmen to come in and flip a team from borderline NIT to what we want as a fan base. Westry may also help but is such a wild card that it’s hard to get excited until we see proof he can stay healthy and hasn’t lost his form after the injuries.
Getting blown out in the only games we play on national tv and against ranked opponents doesn't help, but I'm holding out hope for recruiting because I think the style of play appeals to high end recruits.

False. The fact we have zero bad losses and a winning record would put us on the bubble. Would we get in today, idk, our signature win was against an injured Oregon team. But we would definitely be in the conversation for an at large bid, even if we don’t look like a tournament team.
That’s not true at all. Nobody has us on the bubble

I've said it few times this year but I'll repeat it this outcome should be not surprise. We have 1 shooter on the roster and despite having 4 schollie centers we have to play a PF there pitnof position. Team is fatally flawed and the roster needs major turnover in the off season which I believe will happen
One of the worst perimeter shooting teams I've ever seen. This team literally has only ONE player who can regularly make an open 3 - in the ACC? And Bell's just not that good at anything else. And the forms on most of these guy's shots range from poor to hideous. How does that happen? How does one team accumulate so many poor perimeter shooters?

It's not the loss...it's NEVER the losses. It's the utter lack of competitiveness that's jarring.
In both football & basketball, SUAD keeps showcasing blowouts to any team with a pulse. We look like we shouldn't be on the same floor/field as some of these programs. We've become the patsy, the cupcake that we once thrived on.
In the 2 major sports, we're simply not on a competitive level with any good program. Thats our reality.

If we want to play with Duke and UNC we need more talented players. Simple as that. The talent disparity is obvious. Red has 2 nice pieces coming in next year. Give him a little time. This thrashing has nothing to do with his in game coaching. BTW, did the NCAA pass something to allow Bacot to play 8 years?
before Fran Brown arrived, I used to say it’s easier to turn over a basketball roster than a football roster. I would give Red the benefit of the doubt this year. It’s obvious he wants to play uptempo which lets Taylor out. Cutting the three centers on the bench loose, bringing in a transfer C and a SF who can shoot threes, Brown and Cuffe would be good 7 and 8 guys off bench, Freeman seems to have an all around game, Moore seems like a scorer, Copeland, Brown, Starling. McCleod as insurance. That makes nine man rotation plus Mccleod

One of the worst perimeter shooting teams I've ever seen. This team literally has only ONE player who can regularly make an open 3 - in the ACC? And Bell's just not that good at anything else. And the forms on most of these guy's shots range from poor to hideous. How does that happen? How does one team accumulate so many poor perimeter shooters?
That was my biggest fear for this year…who was going to score. Pretty much every team in college basketball has 2-3 decent 3pt shooter except us and we replaced our inside presence with a 7’4” mannequin.

If we want to play with Duke and UNC we need more talented players. Simple as that. The talent disparity is obvious. Red has 2 nice pieces coming in next year. Give him a little time. This thrashing has nothing to do with his in game coaching. BTW, did the NCAA pass something to allow Bacot to play 8 years?
I’m not convinced on his in game coaching yet. I always thought they should have done a national search.

That’s not true at all. Nobody has us on the bubble
Not suggesting I agree but Jerry Palm had us in the tourney in his bracketology. So saying “nobody” is incorrect.

Not suggesting I agree but Jerry Palm had us in the tourney in his bracketology. So saying “nobody” is incorrect.
Actually took us out after our win vs Boston College lol. The point is that we are a bubble team atm.

Actually took us out after our win vs Boston College lol. The point is that we are a bubble team atm.
No quad 1 wins, only 3 more opportunities, Jesus Christ could say we’re on the bubble, doesn’t mean it’s true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom