UNC Ruling | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

UNC Ruling

They know where their bread is buttered.
Good luck getting fan donations with that crap.
I am not a whale but damn won’t be giving the school anything beyond football season tickets.

People should close their wallets. Wildhack and Syverrud got a ton of hype.

I was one of the ones who were convinced. I have this nagging problem thinking that the right thing will be done. :bat:
thinking that the right thing will be done by the NCAA??

This was a massive failure by the NCAA in enforcing its current rules. If it was a jurisdictional issue why did they waste everybody's time.

That being said the issue still remains that there is too much money in the NCAA to make the current compensation and academic framework work. The NCAA should not be focused on changing the way it tracks and rules on corruption (which I am sure they will not anyway), but it should look at a different framework that takes away incentives to cheat.

I am not a whale but damn won’t be giving the school anything beyond football season tickets.

I can’t blame anyone for feeling this way.

New SU major. Hey dork kid over there, get in here, we need you and a friend to enroll in this major.
th

I know this is just a joke. But I have seen many people today say create easy courses as a serious solution.

How does help the student. How does that make his "Scholarship" worth anything? In the desire to win and make money, too many kids are forced to find the easiest way out academically. Why would it be so bad to offer these kids a "life skills" based program for 4 years instead that is not a university degree... one they can learn from, one they can possibly pass, one they can excel at because of interest. The current system does not work because universities and their fans, expect their coaches to go after these type of players.

I honestly thought that with the FBI investigation looming and the bad look that gives the NCAA, that they would HAVE to issue some kind of punishment. I mean, from an optics standpoint this just looks CRAZY BAD.

This is institutional nepotism.

There is literally no point to having the NCAA oversee anything anymore.
A TV network can organize a new tournament, recruit the institutions, and say "screw you" to the NCAA and kill their cash cow.

I'll admit I haven't followed the details of this case closely, but wasn't there a trail of e-mails between people in the athletics department and the AFAM department about the courses, that included discussions of free tickets for the department chair? If so, I don't know how you possibly conclude there wasn't a lack of institutional control. That's always their vague fallback charge, so if they wanted to punish UNC they could have used that to do it.

Remember when UConn got a tourney ban for their APR score?

That stupid metric is completely useless now.

Makes any of that APR stuff a joke. Guess the NCAA only cares if the athletes get a decent grade regardless if the course is real or not. This ruling just gives credibility for continuing and expanding the obvious cheating.

In a high school I know of, athletes on a certain team were given first shot at registering for a class the teacher/coach taught and the rest of the remaining openings were for ‘regular’ students. No team members would fail /not do well. Bet the UNC classes were formed like that using ‘favored’ professors.

There is literally no point to having the NCAA oversee anything anymore.
A TV network can organize a new tournament, recruit the institutions, and say "screw you" to the NCAA and kill their cash cow.
The NCAA is plantation.

The people there are making money on the backs of kids earning it from TV and sponsorships.

Such a waste to pay these bureaucrats.

We shall see. The NCAA doesn't have to be the sole governing body of major d1 college sports. As of right now they have zero credibility. Nothing will be done overnight, but I'd think there are thoughts to having certain p5 schools separate altogether and find a way to possibly increase their cash cow being governed by another body. At least we can hope.

I think that Congress will get involved.

Not sure how that helps the University that is Syracuse. Just my $.02, but it's along the lines of cutting off one's nose to spite their face mentality.

I think that Congress will get involved.

And add wins to UNC's record, as well as seek damages from the NCAA to UNC for pain and suffering.

And they will demand that all Cleveland State athletics programs be shut down immediately to prevent further shenanigans.

If I am understanding this (I definitely could be missing something but), with this new ruling shouldn't every P5 program want to create a handful of similar classes as long as they meet all the academic regulating body's (what ever national organization oversees the academic side of things) requirements? Why wouldn't colleges and universities just allow players to take these classes to keep them in good academic standing, while minimizing the amount of work and, maybe just as importantly, reducing the scholarship costs to the university's by paying an adjunct or TA to run the course? You would have full classes at a reduced cost with athletes doing minimal work, getting good grades, and staying eligible?

I have to be missing something here?

When UNC visits the dome on Feb 21st here is my sign.....

Notice to UNC players: Cat =
cat-adult-landing-hero.ashx

If I am understanding this (I definitely could be missing something but), with this new ruling shouldn't every P5 program want to create a handful of similar classes as long as they meet all the academic regulating body's (what ever national organization oversees the academic side of things) requirements? Why wouldn't colleges and universities just allow players to take these classes to keep them in good academic standing, while minimizing the amount of work and, maybe just as importantly, reducing the scholarship costs to the university's by paying an adjunct or TA to run the course? You would have full classes at a reduced cost with athletes doing minimal work, getting good grades, and staying eligible?

I have to be missing something here?
You're missing nothing. UNC and NCAA just showed the allowable framework for never losing a player to academics.

Not sure how that helps the University that is Syracuse. Just my $.02, but it's along the lines of cutting off one's nose to spite their face mentality.
I want a commitment from the school that its not all about the money.

It’s business I get it but Syracuse leaders come off so bad in this affair.
We got charged for felonies when we committed at most misdemeanors.

The school wants money for the Dome renovation. I got to say this AD and chancellor aren’t showing the commitment to warrant that support.

smh
two people brought it on SU - Bernie Fine and Oliver Luck

I want a commitment from the school that its not all about the money.

It’s business I get it but Syracuse leaders come off so bad in this affair.
We got charged for felonies when we committed at most misdemeanors.

The school wants money for the Dome renovation. I got to say this AD and chancellor aren’t showing the commitment to warrant that support.

I don't see how this foreseen NCAA ruling "FOR" UNC is causally related in any way "AGAINST" Syracuse's. Other than more of the same randomness in which NCAA chooses to penalize its members. As many here have mentioned, as well as in the mainstream media, the NCAA has a significant credibility issue based opon its passed rulings/behavior. I guess if you're referring to the SU brass and how it basically laid down and played dead after the ruling against us, then I can see where you may be coming from.

This is an easy problem to solve. In the future, we need to offer our basketball staff up for the general student population. They can add footnotes to everyone's essays, and we'll be in the clear. So simple. Thanks NCAA!

I don't see how this foreseen NCAA ruling "FOR" UNC is causally related in any way "AGAINST" Syracuse's. Other than more of the same randomness in which NCAA chooses to penalize its members. As many here have mentioned, the NCAA has a significant credibility issue based on its passed rulings/behavior. I guess if you're referring to the SU brass and how it basically laid down and played dead after the ruling against us, then I can see where you may be coming from.
That is it exactly.

After the penalties were handed out we didn’t fight back as much as we should have.
How a Fab Melo paper, 2 YMCA athletes being paid, drug test violations lost Syracuse 12 bleeping scholarships and a postseason ban is beyond punitive.

Our administration didn’t fight this chit.

For Hookers violation Louisville lost less scholarships than we did.

The NCAA hammered us for misdemeanors.

Shame on the fact we didn’t fight back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom