UNC Ruling | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

UNC Ruling

No friggin way. I'll be floored if they get hit with anything significant.
I'm guessing a 1 year ban for their football team and no bowl game this year. Also women's cross country has to give back all of their wins. This is just a guess. It probably won't be that harsh.

I'm guessing a 1 year ban for their football team and no bowl game this year. Also women's cross country has to give back all of their wins. This is just a guess. It probably won't be that harsh.

I agree that it'll be something like that. How the hell can they justify giving football a ban and not hoops?

My prediction:
Football - loss of 10 ships and a 1 year bowl ban.
Women's basketball - loss of a couple ships, post season ban
Men's basketball - nothing.
McCants is going to cost them the 2005 title. Even if they don't get a ban.
I believe UNC's 05 NC team had like 10 kids who were MAJORING in AFAM studies. Although that season is just prior to the period mentioned in the amended NOV, given that there were so many ineligible players and McCant's admitted academic fraud, the enforcement committee would have to do a backflip to let the 2005 NC stand. Anything's possible - it's the NCAA.

Ten members of UNC’s 2005 national championship team, for instance, majored in AFAM. By the 2008-09 academic year, when UNC won its second national championship under coach Roy Williams, men’s basketball players’ enrollments in the suspect AFAM classes had declined considerably.

UNC accused of no new major violations in NCAA’s amended notice of allegations

Last edited:
I think the NCAA in the wake of the FBI raid, would be hesitate to come off as too soft.
I agree, but I don't think they know how to get hard. :confused:

I agree that it'll be something like that. How the hell can they justify giving football a ban and not hoops?
They can't. The NCAA is in the unique position of never having the justify anything they do, or be held responsible or any decisions they make.

They can't. The NCAA is in the unique position of never having the justify anything they do, or be held responsible or any decisions they make.

I know. It was a rhetorical question. That organization is a joke.

Whatever comes down, it'll be interesting to hear what Jay Bilas has to say.

as a few others have surmised:
penalties on other sports besides M-BB will be heavy-handed/harsh - while M-BB will get a wrist slap at most - couple of schollies MAYBE... you're fooling yourself if you think they'll get an actual penalty

On the flip side they could have signed N. Little to fill as many scholarships as possible so the NCAA couldn't take them away immediately (this year or next). This would give them time to fight this in court before the scholarship reductions kick in

On the flip side they could have signed N. Little to fill as many scholarships as possible so the NCAA couldn't take them away immediately (this year or next). This would give them time to fight this in court before the scholarship reductions kick in
But that idea goes out the window if they allow immediate eligibility transfers.

Is it possible that the NCAA planned to give UNC a slap on the wrist, but are revisiting that in light of the FBI stuff?

Honestly, if UNC gets off easy here - the optics for the NCAA are horrible.
I agree that the optics would be horrible - though that hasn't really bothered the NCAA in previous cases. The only hope we have of seeing justice served in this case which is the hoop team getting hit - is if the NCAA got spooked by the FBI stuff. I'm still on the record - hoops gets nothing.

The UNC board believes they asked to hold off the ruling because they are due to announce a University long term 4 billion dollar capital plan that they didn't want it overshadowed by the NCAA news.

Just chiming in to remind the angry mob that Syracuse's sanctions were announced on 6 March...a Friday. Nothing unusual here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom