UNC Ruling | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

UNC Ruling

Is it possible that the NCAA planned to give UNC a slap on the wrist, but are revisiting that in light of the FBI stuff?

Honestly, if UNC gets off easy here - the optics for the NCAA are horrible.
That was my first thought as well. With the FBI stuff, the NCAA has to come down with something with some teeth to it. That said, I am still guessing a slap on the wrist.

Just chiming in to remind the angry mob that Syracuse's sanctions were announced on 6 March...a Friday. Nothing unusual here.

It's the Friday news dump that's annoying but it's a moot point now.

Last edited:
Penalties will be serious. Skeptics refer to the 'wheelhouse' comment. It is factually correct that they have no jurisdiction regarding course validity. However, now that the courses have been decertified the outcome is a foregone conclusion. A lot of people are going to be surprised.

Penalties will be serious. Skeptics refer to the 'wheelhouse' comment. It is factually correct that they have no jurisdiction regarding course validity. However, now that the courses have been decertified the outcome is a foregone conclusion. A lot of people are going to be surprised.
They do if the SU case is any indication. With SU, they deemed excessive academic assistance (footnotes) to be an extra benefit (it was supposedly used to keep a player eligible). If that's the standard, they certainly have jurisdiction in cases where whole courses are given away to keep athletes eligible.

Last edited:
Also a holiday weekend for some - does anyone still get Columbus day off - could drop over the long weekend and minimize the buzz for UNC, NCAA or both. Clearly the NCAA wants this thing to go away.

They do if the SU case is any indication. With SU, they interpreted excessive academic assistance (footnotes) as an extra benefit (it was supposedly used to keep a player eligible). If that's the standard, they certainly have jurisdiction in cases where whole courses are given away to keep athletes eligible.

Past precedents mean nothing. And nothing is weighted the same. That's my concern. Plus, it's UNC.

Also a holiday weekend for some - does anyone still get Columbus day off - could drop over the long weekend and minimize the buzz for UNC, NCAA or both. Clearly the NCAA wants this thing to go away.

It's not coming out tomorrow.

Past precedents mean nothing. And nothing is weighted the same. That's my concern. Plus, it's UNC.
If adding footnotes to a paper constitutes an impermissible benefit, but giving away an entire major doesn't ... I got nuthin.

the-manneken-pis-brussels-belgium-c2e67j.jpg

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

The NCAA has handed down its list of violations to The University of No Classes:

- vacate all football and basketball losses

- awarded the 2007 NCAA Men's Basketball Championship and previously vacated (by GT) 2009 ACC Football Championship

- all scholarship athletes (even those Golfers) credit requirements, to graduate, reduced by 25%

- awarded 10 more scholarships, per 4-year cycle, for football and 2 more for basketball

- "Carolina Blue" banned for use by teams NOT from the State of North Carolina and, last but not least...

- hookers and blow for all coaches, staff, admin, and non-scholarship athletes (gotta throw these guys and gals a bone, uhm, too!) for no less than the greater of 5 years or 2 kilos

They certainly deserve a harsher penalty than what we got! So if not Friday, has anyone heard when the announcement will be?

Some UNC guys I talked to Richmond this week are not worried at all ... Almost cocky and arrogant in their confidence. Said maybe 4 schollies total (2 1 1) a big fine, and thats it

The NCAA will write a stern and scolding letter to UNC. No ban, no loss of scholarships, no forfeiture of wins or banners, but UNC should feel bad for what they did.

The ncaa cannot go light here and they won't. If they do it's over. They are prepared to hammer UNC and fight about it in court.
This is an existential credibility test, I agree. They can't hammer SU and other programs for comparatively minor academic infractions and then overlook UNC's multi-year scheme without having a line of Chancellors show up at the front door with torches.

Last edited:
The NCAA is in a pickle. If UNC gets what amounts to a wrist slap in the current environment (FBI investigation, precedents set in other cases) I guarantee you there will be people out there (like Pitino) that will make holy hell for the NCAA. For this reason, I don't think UNC gets off light. MBB will get hit with something, as will Williams. Might not be a lot, but I don't think they skate. The ruling could surprise everyone. I think McCants' admissions will carry more weight than people think. Also, can you imagine all the bogus majors popping up around the country if the NCAA doesn't take a stance?

As far as SU or JB suing over the lost wins, I am of the belief that he will get them back at some point, just like PED State did. I don't think it's worth it to JB to fight that fight right now. He has 5 years left and wants to coach Buddy in relative peace and quiet. You can only go through that NCAA pressure cooker for so long. Besides, he knows who won those games.

The NCAA is in a pickle. If UNC gets what amounts to a wrist slap in the current environment (FBI investigation, precedents set in other cases) I guarantee you there will be people out there (like Pitino) that will make holy hell for the NCAA. For this reason, I don't think UNC gets off light. MBB will get hit with something, as will Williams. Might not be a lot, but I don't think they skate. The ruling could surprise everyone. I think McCants' admissions will carry more weight than people think. Also, can you imagine all the bogus majors popping up around the country if the NCAA doesn't take a stance?

As far as SU or JB suing over the lost wins, I am of the belief that he will get them back at some point, just like PED State did. I don't think it's worth it to JB to fight that fight right now. He has 5 years left and wants to coach Buddy in relative peace and quiet. You can only go through that NCAA pressure cooker for so long. Besides, he knows who won those games.
If they get off easy, they will have wrote the book on how to properly cheat the Academics of college sports...been my view for a while now

If they get off easy, they will have wrote the book on how to properly cheat the Academics of college sports...been my view for a while now
Sorry, but...
Written, published and now a national best seller

Could this be a sign? I click on the North Carolina fan board up above and it says this
Welcome to the end of the internet!

I read two different Tar Heel boards. About 20% of them think they are innocent and there will be no meaningful penalties. The majority expect to be hammered. Why 5 star Little signed is beyond me. Chew on this; they now have the number one rated class. I should add that they all feel certain that they will go to court and win.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom