Uniform of the day for NC State | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Uniform of the day for NC State

Personally, If they're going to mix up the looks, let them go crazy. I'd just like one official game per year with the "traditional" look. I'd like that day to be Homecoming.

The lack of orange is a head scratcher, though. Perhaps they're doing it this way because we're not important enough to have multiple pattern styles of uniforms. Just changing the colors is an easy alternative. Maybe that'll change if we start winning. I feel like Baylor might be a good reference for that. They seem to have a lot of different looks since they started winning.

We have so many of these uniform discussions that it'd be nice if the AD could give us a little insight into what the game plan (if any) is. I'm curious how the whole thing works. Like, could we say "Hey, Nike. We'd really like some more looks besides different colorways. Adidas called us the other day, sooooo..."

I figured we'd give the unis a pass this week because of the military appreciation game. Seven pages later... I guess not.

The worst thing about our unis is how they make our guys look so much smaller and slower than the opposition.

raw.gif

They look like the ND army uniforms.

While I agree that they didn't throw away their "tradition" like you feel that we have.

What did the SU fans say when we got rid of the OD green and Pink? Same thing you are saying now.
What did the Oregon fans say when they got rid of their historical Uni's?

The only thing that is guaranteed is that things change and they will continue to change in life and in sports. Trying to be a rock in the stream, A - doesn't work and B - makes the person sound like a curmudgeon.

20 years from now do you really think everyone's uniforms are going to look like they do today? Simple answer - No.

By the way the Oregon example is a good one.

Before Nike began its financing efforts, Oregon had no football identity - no football brand at all.

Nobody became upset by the funky uniforms precisely because there was no traditional Oregon Football uniform.

The constantly changing uniform became the Oregon Brand.

We have a brand. We have a proud football history that is symbolized by the classic football uniform - the orange helmet, the orange pants - the blue and white jerseys - the uniform of Freeney, Harrison, McNabb, Conley, Gedney, Johnston et. al.

We don't need to do what Oregon did to establish a football identity.

And, now that so many other low level programs have tried to replicate what Oregon did, the "change the look every week brand" is no longer unique.

All of the lousy programs do it from Kansas, to Illinois to every MAC team.

I feel we should do the same that Alabama, Auburn, Texas, USC, Michigan, Penn State have done - keep and promote our classic brand.

Last edited:
By the way the Oregon example is a good one.

Before Nike began its financing efforts, Oregon had no football identity - no football brand at all.

Nobody became upset by the funky uniforms precisely because there was no traditional Oregon Football uniform.

The constantly changing uniform became the Oregon Brand.

We have a brand. We have a proud football history that is symbolized by the classic football uniform - the orange helmet, the orange pants - the blue and white jerseys - the uniform of Freeney, Harrison, McNabb, Conley, Gedney, Johnston et. al.

We don't need to do what Oregon did to establish a football identity.

And, now that so many other low level programs have tried to replicate what Oregon did, the "change the look every week brand" is no longer unique.

All of the lousy programs do it from Kansas, to Illinois to every MAC team.

I feel we should do the same that Alabama, Auburn, Texas, USC, Michigan, Penn State have done - keep and promote our classic brand.
But we are a lousy program so what you are saying literally doesn't mean anything. We don't have a brand to be proud of right now. We just have history to look back at, and the kids we are recruiting now weren't even born the last time we were genuinely a good program.

But we are a lousy program so what you are saying literally doesn't mean anything. We don't have a brand to be proud of right now. We just have history to look back at, and the kids we are recruiting now weren't even born the last time we were genuinely a good program.
Pretty much what I said, history doesn't automatically give you a brand.

People have written that Dino Babers is stubbornly using his (offense and defense) to show it off for recruits so they will want to come here and be part of that. Doesn't 'brand' work the same way? Wouldn't wearing our traditional uniforms connect people to our history and suggest to recruits that they might want to be a part of this? What do ugly uniforms that keep changing and aren't in any way distinctive say to recruits?

People have written that Dino Babers is stubbornly using his (offense and defense) to show it off for recruits so they will want to come here and be part of that. Doesn't 'brand' work the same way? Wouldn't wearing our traditional uniforms connect people to our history and suggest to recruits that they might want to be a part of this? What do ugly uniforms that keep changing and aren't in any way distinctive say to recruits?
Maybe by using these uniforms, we are not connecting our real brand to crappy football?

Maybe the recruits think those uniforms aren't ugly and actually like that they keep changing and they can keep it fresh. People need to have more of an open mind and think outside the box.

Just because the same 10 people keep bitching about the jerseys doesn't mean everyone agrees with you.

Agree 100% and Orange Pa isn't 100% accurate, Oregon had their history as well, ( Ahmand Rashad, Dan Fouts, etc, rose bowls from the dinosaur era) obviously not as much as Syracuse but nobody really cared outside of Oregon just like nobody cares outside of Syracuse. I lived in Eugene, when they started putting big money in their athletic programs ,the fans didn't care about any of it once they started winning. They do care about the traditional duck mascot

again, two guys from the muppet show screaming about uniforms, we are wake forest in football now, nobody cares about 50 years ago. All I here the past 15 years is how we use to be good, BFD. nobody cares, we need to build a new brand bot live off of one from 40 years ago

Disclaimer ...Newhouse Guy and former Advertising Professional,Older Cuse grad as well ...Navy and Grey dominant Syracuse Orange was awful from a marketing standpoint.The uniform changes and color alterations are fool's gold and marketing stupidity.Most top level national branding experts would overwhelmingly agree. OrangePA has it right Michigan,Penn State,Texas,USC and many others clearly understand, here's how it works you new age fans.You establish a brand through repetition and familiarity not by pandering to the superficial comments of 16-17 year olds,who know nothing about the "University of Syracuse" or the chance to visit New York City because Syracuse is right around the corner.
One thing they do know is we're losers in football.

Before very long they also know we are the school with"44" Brown,Davis,Little,plus Csonka,Moose,Morris, plus Marvin Harrison,Donovan McNabb, Tim Green,I could go on, when you are fifth in NFL Hall of Famer's that's what you sell.

You sell tradition and excellence.
Corporate America does it and Big 10 and SEC programs do it and crappy MAC programs don't...got it?

Need examples? Coke, Red/White logo,Pepsi,Red,White& Blue,Apple=Apple w/ a bite,IBM= Big Blue, McDonalds=Golden Arches,Cowboys,Steelers,Packers,Bears! Corvette,Ferarri,Mercedes Benz same logos for 30 years plus.
Familiarity sells, and gives comfort to your most loyal fans.

We are the Orange and the Orangemen! and a highly respected basketball brand. Embrace the brand.

Pretty much what I said, history doesn't automatically give you a brand.
If you remove the word "automatically" All can clearly see how wrong you are.History does give you a brand,absolutely.

If you remove the word "automatically" All can clearly see how wrong you are.History does give you a brand,absolutely.

So our brand is "Great History, Shlitty Currently"?

If not, tell me what our brand is, please.

I know this is page 7 of this thread and i am piling on, but those unis in person were actually worse than advertised . no contrast , no orange, no style, and i am tired of the kids like them argument . the kids have a bunch of poor options with this nike line. cant pair the grey with blue pants . atrocious. i sat 3 rows behind the ncst bench. their unis were simple , stated, and sharp. use your predominant school color on white with bold #'s. we looked like a high school team in terms of size relative to ncst. yes, we are small anyways, but its exacerbated when we wear dark, drab unis like those. go back to all white , all white with orange lid or from the head down : blue/orange/blue or orange/blue/orange. god we need to represent better. its getting embarrassing .

Texas, Alabama, USC, Penn State, Auburn, LSU have programs in a far different stratosphere than Syracuse University. Your distaste for change is inflexible; success is not mutually exclusive of change and for a program focusing on slogans like "Orange is the New Fast" - something that would NEVER be uttered under Ben, by Czonka or Moose - passion for the program does not have to include a chokehold against any evolution that is somewhat reflective of society.
What is the first word in that catchy slogan?

Maybe the recruits think those uniforms aren't ugly and actually like that they keep changing and they can keep it fresh. People need to have more of an open mind and think outside the box.

Just because the same 10 people keep bitching about the jerseys doesn't mean everyone agrees with you.

That would be great if we were recruiting for an AAU pickup team.

In this case these athletes represent Syracuse University, so there are bigger issues than what they find "fresh" or "smooth" at a particular moment.

That would be great if we were recruiting for an AAU pickup team.

In this case these athletes represent Syracuse University, so there are bigger issues than what they find "fresh" or "smooth" at a particular moment.
What does that even mean?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom