Uniform of the day for NC State | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Uniform of the day for NC State

1126606146-Statlerandwaldorf.jpg

That's me on the left.

Will help some seniors get invited to the Blue Gray game.

Except it really hasn't improved - especially last year - even before it appeared that Scott Shafer would be gone.

And the schools that have maintained their brands - Texas, Alabama, USC, Penn State, Auburn, LSU etc - are recruiting very well - better than ever in most instances.

So, I think it's the program/coaches/infrastructure and success on the field that improves recruiting - not the goofy uniforms that nearly all of the mediocre programs in the US are wearing these days - the entire MAC Conference and teams like NC State, Illinois, Texas Tech, UConn, etc.

Texas, Alabama, USC, Penn State, Auburn, LSU have programs in a far different stratosphere than Syracuse University. Your distaste for change is inflexible; success is not mutually exclusive of change and for a program focusing on slogans like "Orange is the New Fast" - something that would NEVER be uttered under Ben, by Czonka or Moose - passion for the program does not have to include a chokehold against any evolution that is somewhat reflective of society.

Except it really hasn't improved - especially last year - even before it appeared that Scott Shafer would be gone.

And the schools that have maintained their brands - Texas, Alabama, USC, Penn State, Auburn, LSU etc - are recruiting very well - better than ever in most instances.

So, I think it's the program/coaches/infrastructure and success on the field that improves recruiting - not the goofy uniforms that nearly all of the mediocre programs in the US are wearing these days - the entire MAC Conference and teams like NC State, Illinois, Texas Tech, UConn, etc.
Did ya see Notre Dame's uniforms today???

Did ya see Notre Dame's uniforms today???

I did.

They were green.

For years ND has broken out green jerseys for isolated games. The Irish actually wore green jerseys in the 1950s and early 1960s.

They weren't grey or black and they didn't look like what half the Big XII or the MAC Conference and other lower profile teams wear.

And, if you have read me you know I don't mind the isolated throw back. What I don't like is the elimination of the traditional brand uni and the use of the weekly monstrosity that we and so many other lower profile programs wear.

We have dumped completely our traditional brand - we are unrecognizable. ND has not done what we have done.

I did.

They were green.

For years ND has broken out green jerseys for isolated games. The Irish actually wore green jerseys in the 1950s and early 1960s.

They weren't grey or black and they didn't look like what half the Big XII or the MAC Conference and other lower profile teams wear.

And, if you have read me you know I don't mind the isolated throw back. What I don't like is the elimination of the traditional brand uni and the use of the weekly monstrosity that we and so many other lower profile programs wear.

We have dumped completely our traditional brand - we are unrecognizable. ND has not done what we have done.
LOL, they were barely green, if that wasn't dumping on Irish tradition, I don't know what is. Do these uniforms and helmets look anything like what ND traditionally wears? Absolutely not.

Just like people on here bitch that we are unrecognizable, I turned on the game and if the guide on FIOS didn't say ND, I would have had no idea who was playing.

Notre+Dame+Shamrock+Series+2016+7.jpg

I fail to see why we can't simply have a throwback uniform like every other school. I get the fancy non orange uniforms are here and not leaving but a 1992 version, 1959 version etc would be great.

School obviously has the budget for multiple combos.

LOL, they were barely green, if that wasn't dumping on Irish tradition, I don't know what is. Do these uniforms and helmets look anything like what ND traditionally wears? Absolutely not.

Just like people on here bitch that we are unrecognizable, I turned on the game and if the guide on FIOS didn't say ND, I would have had no idea who was playing.

Guess you didn't read a word OrangePA said

I watched the game on a television with pretty decent color. The jerseys were green. And the helmets and pants were gold.

I'm not sure how much you watch ND football but the traditional helmet color is gold and the traditional pants are gold.

Plus, guys like Paul Hourning wore green jerseys back in the late 1950s.

I knew immediately who I was watching yesterday when I watched the ND highlights.

ND - Gold helmets - traditionally based. SU - Black helmets - not orange helmets - not traditionally based.

ND - Gold pants - traditionally based. SU - Blue pants - not orange pants - not traditionally based.

ND - Green jerseys - traditionally based. SU - Grey jerseys - not blue or white or orange - not traditionally based.

ND - 80% of games in traditional gold, white, blue look - the look of Parseghian, Devine, Holts.

SU - 0% of games in traditional orange, blue, white look - the look of Schwartz, Mac, P and Marrone.

Sorry but I don't think your "LOL" works in this instance.

They look like the ND army uniforms.

While I agree that they didn't throw away their "tradition" like you feel that we have.

What did the SU fans say when we got rid of the OD green and Pink? Same thing you are saying now.
What did the Oregon fans say when they got rid of their historical Uni's?

The only thing that is guaranteed is that things change and they will continue to change in life and in sports. Trying to be a rock in the stream, A - doesn't work and B - makes the person sound like a curmudgeon.

20 years from now do you really think everyone's uniforms are going to look like they do today? Simple answer - No.

They look like the ND army uniforms.

While I agree that they didn't throw away their "tradition" like you feel that we have.

What did the SU fans say when we got rid of the OD green and Pink? Same thing you are saying now.
What did the Oregon fans say when they got rid of their historical Uni's?

The only thing that is guaranteed is that things change and they will continue to change in life and in sports. Trying to be a rock in the stream, A - doesn't work and B - makes the person sound like a curmudgeon.

20 years from now do you really think everyone's uniforms are going to look like they do today? Simple answer - No.

I don't think you get it.

ND plays nearly all of its games in its traditional uniform - it's brand.

So do USC, Texas, Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Auburn, FSU, Penn State and Michigan.

They are not rocks in a stream. They are applying sound business principles. Branding.

And the goofy uniforms are no longer unique. Nearly all the lower profile programs use them and they all pretty much look the same.

Looking like everybody else is not positive change. It's rote marketing.

While the great programs promote their brand the low level programs search for one.

We don't have to search.

So do USC, Texas, Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Auburn, FSU, Penn State and Michigan.

They are not rocks in a stream. They are applying sound business principles. Branding.

And the goofy uniforms are no longer unique. Nearly all the lower profile programs use them and they all pretty much look the same.

While the great programs promote their brand the low level programs search for one.

We don't have to search.
Tell me what Syracuse's "brand" is because I would like to know.

Is it the 15 years of awful football, is it basketball, is it the 30 or so years or mediocre to decent football or is it good football all the way back to our 1959 Championship?

If our "brand" was tied to our uniforms, our phenomenal basketball team wouldn't change them every 5 years like they do.

If you are relying on and worrying about what people are saying about your uniforms as it relates to your "brand" then you don't have one.

Tell me what Syracuse's "brand" is because I would like to know.

Is it the 15 years of awful football, is it basketball, is it the 30 or so years or mediocre to decent football or is it good football all the way back to our 1959 Championship?

If our "brand" was tied to our uniforms, our phenomenal basketball team wouldn't change them every 5 years like they do.

If you are relying on and worrying about what people are saying about your uniforms as it relates to your "brand" then you don't have one.
Read the bottom of any one of Tomcat's posts, and you might get it. Probably not though

We don't have to search.
Curious to know what you thought of Louisville's uniforms last night. They certainly weren't Cardinal Red and they weren't throwback but they sure were ugly.

Read the bottom of any one of Tomcat's posts, and you might get it. Probably not though

History doesn't mean that is our brand, that is stuff that we die hards and old-timers know and invoke when someone says we suck.

Go ahead and ask the average person about Syracuse or even the average CFB fan, that is what our brand is, not what die-hards know. You will hear that we are crappy in football but we have great basketball.

Nobody gives 2 craps about our uniforms because all we have been regardless of what we wear is that we are a crappy football team that was once good a trillion years ago.

You probably don't get that though.

When your 5 year old starts humming the McDonald's song, that's a brand. When your 10 year old hears the word Arby's and shouts "we have the meats!!", that's a brand.

When the average fan hears Syracuse is playing, what do they say?? That we are awful and who cares what they are wearing, change the channel to another game.

Even when we get good, regardless of what we wear, that will be our "Brand" for a while until we win consistently. Then the casual CFB fan might give 2 flyin F's about what we wear.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom