Uniforms | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Uniforms

In defense of the designers they were going with something original. Supposedly the numbers are supposed to be like the NYC skyline with their long, narrow numbers. I can see what they were trying to do from an originality standpoint despite probably only 2% of the people watching even have any idea.

So back to the original question for everyone...I am kind of getting the feeling most would like the new uniforms "if" there was an orange set? My only question for that is that we would only really wear those on the road if we were going with the matching tops and bottoms, so people would still be complaining every home game.
Would anyone - anyone at all - save folks on this board, understand the NYC skyline connection? Answer - no one - nada - zippo. In any event, the last time I looked, Syracuse is not close to NYC and they would look stupid even if it was.

Why is this so complicated? Same helmets, same jerseys, ORANGE PANTS. Just like the old days, but modernized.
It would have killed them to at least throw some orange stripes on those pants?

rrlbees said:
If the uniforms looked good, we wouldn't have all these threads about them.
Please. There were at a minimum 30K at the game on Friday. This board has what? 3K followers? I love it, as it's a good source of news and eccentric personalities -- but let's not pretend it's the determinant of what "Orange Nation" thinks. We're a selective group of Orange fans who think are opinions should be in print. As I said before, I could care less what they wore -- "Just win, baby."

In defense of the designers they were going with something original. Supposedly the numbers are supposed to be like the NYC skyline with their long, narrow numbers. I can see what they were trying to do from an originality standpoint despite probably only 2% of the people watching even have any idea..

I'm pretty sure the font they used for the numbers is an art deco inspired font - which is tied to the architectural themes of NYC and cities in upstate NY that had their architectural "booms" in the 1920s-1940s (to match their peak populations). To be honest, I like the number design despite the fact that it is hard to read from a distance.

Ugh. Makes them look like an FCS team with no backing by a big athletic company. Very outdated looking. IMO.

Those were my exact thoughts. They looked like an FCS school who hasn't got the new style of uniforms in past 5 years. From a uniform standpoint you could definitely tell who the big school was.

anomander said:
No matter what we wore not everyone is going to agree with them...ever

We don't have these number if threads every year. Only game we even came close to this much discussion on uni's was when gross went out and got all orange when Grob was here and it was the wrong orange. These uni's elicit so much discussion because they are not only bad but we've adopted all blue as the standard it seems. If they were so good, 99% would like them. Ever see these kind of threads during the McNabb yeas?

We don't have these number if threads every year. Only game we even came close to this much discussion on uni's was when gross went out and got all orange when Grob was here and it was the wrong orange. These uni's elicit so much discussion because they are not only bad but we've adopted all blue as the standard it seems. If they were so good, 99% would like them. Ever see these kind of threads during the McNabb yeas?

I think the only way to really no whether fans like the new uniforms or not is to compare uniform sales. Not sure when that would give a fair comparison from year to year or if the data is even available.

Todd Gack said:
Please. There were at a minimum 30K at the game on Friday. This board has what? 3K followers? I love it, as it's a good source of news and eccentric personalities -- but let's not pretend it's the determinant of what "Orange Nation" thinks. We're a selective group of Orange fans who think are opinions should be in print. As I said before, I could care less what they wore -- "Just win, baby."

Have no idea what that response means to what I posted. And for those at the game? Mostly heard bitching about the numbers, the all blue and comments like clownish and something about crayola crayons. Never heard those kind of comments about other uni's. So I'd say a good portion don't like them. Enough to make them controversial.

Crusty said:
These are Clemson's uniforms and they look more like the orange than we do. I would settle for orange pants or jerseys - NOT all blue.

I detest Clemson's uni and their logo.

McNabb's uniforms were great when he wore them. But just like bell bottoms and turtlenecks, current style left them in the past. Back then, in general, uniforms were far less risque so I can understand why not many people would object. As uniforms have evolved the taste of older men has not. They're usually more conservative and don't like all the different designs. It's not just our uniforms. Seemingly every time a schools new uniforms get posted it's received with an overwhelming negative reaction.

I would love to hear what "new" uniforms people like. Unless their the traditional ones I can't think of anyone's who are universally liked

rrlbees said:
Have no idea what that response means to what I posted. And for those at the game? Mostly heard bitching about the numbers, the all blue and comments like clownish and something about crayola crayons. Never heard those kind of comments about other uni's. So I'd say a good portion don't like them. Enough to make them controversial.
You implied that they must be bad because people talk about them so much -- so there's the answer to your "response" line. I'm a season ticket holder in 328 -- around people who've been there for the last three seasons at least. We bitched about play-calling all game -- throw north! -- but didn't hear a peep about the uniforms.

anomander said:
McNabb's uniforms were great when he wore them. But just like bell bottoms and turtlenecks, current style left them in the past. Back then, in general, uniforms were far less risque so I can understand why not many people would object. As uniforms have evolved the taste of older men has not. They're usually more conservative and don't like all the different designs. It's not just our uniforms. Seemingly every time a schools new uniforms get posted it's received with an overwhelming negative reaction. I would love to hear what "new" uniforms people like. Unless their the traditional ones I can't think of anyone's who are universally liked

Of the games I have seen, ours are the worst. Not just design but the fact we are the orange and don't look it. Design and color combo makes us the worst. We are the Syracuse ORANGE. Respect it.

Toga said:
Would anyone - anyone at all - save folks on this board, understand the NYC skyline connection? Answer - no one - nada - zippo. In any event, the last time I looked, Syracuse is not close to NYC and they would look stupid even if it was.

I'm a special case being a graphic designer. While they don't read "city skyline" - the do read city/urban/tough.

Have been crushing some Taylor Swift -- for fogies like me, this is what the kids are listening to (and I think it's brilliant): http://www.vevo.com/watch/taylor-swift/Shake-It-Off/USCJY1431460 -- so I'm not sure if I raised the Obama and his tan suit argument, but for all the problems in the world I hope you Google "Obama tan suit" and feel silly by the response. I've already dropped one Aaron Sorkin line, but here's another: "We can all be better teachers."

rrlbees said:
Of the games I have seen, ours are the worst. Not just design but the fact we are the orange and don't look it. Design and color combo makes us the worst. We are the Syracuse ORANGE. Respect it.

So you don't see orange in the new uni's?

I've explained this before but you don't need every inch of the uni to be orange just because our name. A highlight color will suffice.

Every time I hear "they just don't look like the orange" - I think that's someone with a lot of history with the program and they are letting it bias their opinion.

To my 5 year old Syracuse has a big S on the helmet and they look like orange metal.

So you don't see orange in the new uni's?

I've explained this before but you don't need every inch of the uni to be orange just because our name. A highlight color will suffice.

Every time I hear "they just don't look like the orange" - I think that's someone with a lot of history with the program and they are letting it bias their opinion.

To my 5 year old Syracuse has a big S on the helmet and they look like orange metal.

Just thank god are name isn't purple

The epitome of college football tradition, Notre Dame, has had a ton of changes. Uniforms. Turf. They don't even have the student managers spray paint helmets anymore. Time to accept that we're not going back to McNabb era uniforms.

Orange is coming for Louisville...just saying. That is my prediction.

TexanMark said:
And may we all feel lesser before then. We are what we wear.

TexanMark said:

Orange has become the one off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colpars13

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom