Uniforms | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Uniforms

I wasn't sure how I'd like the uniforms in person, but I found them to be better than I expected. I actually feel that the orange pops more with this uni than the ones worn last year. I can't disagree that I'd like to see a bit more orange (pants), but I really don't think that the orange color is hidden either. There's always room for improvement, but they are pretty nice (IMHO.)

Oh, and for what it's worth, where I sat most of the complaining was about the play on the field, rather than the uniforms.

Of the games I have seen, ours are the worst. Not just design but the fact we are the orange and don't look it. Design and color combo makes us the worst. We are the Syracuse ORANGE. Respect it.

Wasn't it Nike that made the push for "Orange" for branding purposes? I'm not a marketing guy but i think the "Orange" brand would be better served by designing a uniform that is predominantly orange in color.

No one bitched about the McNabb jerseys because they were status quo for at least 20 years (can only speak for my lifetime). Every iteration since then has drawn more scorn then praise. I think the current unis are fine- appropriate for the time (if less so for the place). Love the helmets. I'd lose the block S (always "SU" to me anyway).

A modern take on the Brown's jersey employing SU colors seems like a good prototype to develop.

Have been crushing some Taylor Swift ."

610_900.jpg

I haven't read anything south -- but I'd put money that what I think is what it means: Taylor Swift is the and we're all trying to keep up.

So you don't see orange in the new uni's?

I've explained this before but you don't need every inch of the uni to be orange just because our name. A highlight color will suffice.

Every time I hear "they just don't look like the orange" - I think that's someone with a lot of history with the program and they are letting it bias their opinion.

To my 5 year old Syracuse has a big S on the helmet and they look like orange metal.

Clemson are the Tigers, maybe they should staple actual tigers all over their uniforms to prove they are the Tigers. I think Ohio State's helmet should actually be made of Buckeyes, screw safety they need to prove they are who they say they are.

That is the type of attitude our fans have.

If you look at the Miami ones, they have the alternate color on both sleeves. I think it SU had orange sleeves and plain orange numbers with white outline on the blues, it would make a big difference.

I watched Miami on TV against Louisville, I didn't particularly care for their uniform they wore. They were OK, I liked ours a lot better.

JSOrange97 said:
Oh, and for what it's worth, where I sat most of the complaining was about the play on the field, rather than the uniforms.

Uni comments were pre-game during warm ups except for some about seeing the numbers during the game.

CuseOnly said:
Clemson are the Tigers, maybe they should staple actual tigers all over their uniforms to prove they are the Tigers. I think Ohio State's helmet should actually be made of Buckeyes, screw safety they need to prove they are who they say they are. That is the type of attitude our fans have.

Those are things. Orange is a color. Think you've gone a little extreme.

I don't know, but I think these uniforms look pretty damn sweet in this picture right here.

090314_S_33hodge_SamMaller_SP.jpg

Question for those who don't like the uniforms. Do you dislike them because there isn't enough orange, or is it the design? Because that picture above makes them look pretty good imo.
  1. Needs more orange (not all orange, just more; pants, maybe)
  2. A non-ridiculous-looking font for the numbers - Comic Sans, maybe?

What I love the most about our new uniforms is that with 50+ combinations of helmet, jersey and pants we can have this thread every week for the next 3 seasons. :)

Agreed, that was kind of the point.

When you hear the same thing over and over and over and over from the same people, it kind of seems pretty extreme to me. It is very much like a 3 year old saying "I want an orange popsicle." over and over and over and over while you are on the phone trying to have a conversation. A few times isn't really extreme, but after hearing it 50 times, it is extreme and excessive.

If you are set in your ways, fine. If you really really like the older style of uniforms, that is fine too. Expressing one's opinion is fine as well, especially here because I have some of my own. Just know that it probably won't change the uniform style and you will be expressing your opinion ad nauseam with no results or very little results. You would also be ignoring progress, a matter of opinion I guess.

I do hope that they introduce the new orange pants and possibly jerseys at the ND game in MetLife this year though. Long before the Louisville game as Texanmark suggested might be the case.

I haven't read anything south -- but I'd put money that what I think is what it means: Taylor Swift is the and we're all trying to keep up.
scary world we live in if Taylor Swift is considered a music Icon.. next thing you know people will be wanting uniforms of one color

rrlbees said:

Orange is a thing too.

I don't know, but I think these uniforms look pretty damn sweet in this picture right here.

090314_S_33hodge_SamMaller_SP.jpg

Question for those who don't like the uniforms. Do you dislike them because there isn't enough orange, or is it the design? Because that picture above makes them look pretty good imo.

They do look better in that photo (a closeup, from the waist up), and that highlights my gripes:

1. The numbers are very difficult to read from a distance. Dark-on-dark - no good.

2. I think there isn't enough orange in the total uniform; the symmetry of the previous several uniforms was perfect: orange-blue-orange. Single-color uniforms strike me as very Conference USA. Further, this makes the brand more difficult to identify. Add orange pants and it would look a lot better.

The typeface is actually pretty cool. If it were legible from a distance with a white (or brighter orange) outline, I'd be happy to defend it. When the function of the numerals (to identify the player) is lost, though, something is wrong.

To me, the matched tops and bottoms make the unis look like kids' pajamas. Maybe the players had favorite super hero PJs and these uniforms make them feel good. If that's "hip" and "what the players like," I suppose it's fine. As long as they don't sleep through any more games ...

They do look better in that photo (a closeup, from the waist up), and that highlights my gripes:

1. The numbers are very difficult to read from a distance. Dark-on-dark - no good.

2. I think there isn't enough orange in the total uniform; the symmetry of the previous several uniforms was perfect: orange-blue-orange. Single-color uniforms strike me as very Conference USA. Further, this makes the brand more difficult to identify. Add orange pants and it would look a lot better.

The typeface is actually pretty cool. If it were legible from a distance with a white (or brighter orange) outline, I'd be happy to defend it. When the function of the numerals (to identify the player) is lost, though, something is wrong.
agree - monochrome uniforms are what I used to see in CUSA and SWAC highlights and think man that looks minor league

I think I'll like these better when they start mixing up some of the combos

If we really want to be edgy, I would have love to see a football uniform like the ones hoops wore out in San Diego. Not for a standard uniform, but something worn for a Military Day at the Dome. The orange camo with the 44 axes could really make for an interesting look.

I also wish more was done with the axes. I've seen the t-shirts, are there hats with that logo yet? I wish that it was more than just the collar label, like if those were on the shoulders that might look good.

The all blue look with that hard to read font for the numbers is awful in my book. Need orange jerseys with blue or white numerals in a bold readable font to fix it. The helmet is kinda cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom