UNLV QB refuses to play rest of season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UNLV QB refuses to play rest of season

No celebration from me

They probably lose this week which means not ranked when we play.

It's easier to sell yourself and convince yourself things are going well if you have two top 25 wins first five games.

Plus

We have no idea how good the new QB ends up being

He may be less of a running threat but a way better passer

It’s incredible how quickly the proverbial pendulum swung from the NCAA having all the power to the athletes having all the power.
I love that the athletes have power, but this is really gross. He would hope no other team will take him in the future, but we all know that’s not true. Generally don’t actively rude against college kids, but I would make an exception for him. What a scumbag.

I love that the athletes have power, but this is really gross. He would hope no other team will take him in the future, but we all know that’s not true. Generally don’t actively rude against college kids, but I would make an exception for him. What a scumbag.
I wouldn't go this far until we know all of the details. The guy has to make a decision now if he wants to play again next season. And he sure as hell isn't going pro. If UNLV screwed him over then he's making a business decision, just as they did apparently.

Lot of shadiness in NIL deals. Promises are not often met by collective. Players and schools will be better off when they’re paying directly next year. Honestly surprised this doesn’t happen more.

Schools paying should at least create a contractual obligation to the school, but NIL isn’t going away just because the schools will pay as well. NIL is a constitutional right according to the Supreme Court. Can’t just waive that off.

I wouldn't go this far until we know all of the details. The guy has to make a decision now if he wants to play again next season. And he sure as hell isn't going pro. If UNLV screwed him over then he's making a business decision, just as they did apparently.

Fair enough. But UNLV allegedly has some big money behind it for UNLV.

According to a Reddit post quoting a UNLV insider (Joe Arrigo according to the post), he went to Odom‘s office and demanded another $300,000 to stay. There are rumors that another school will pay him more to quit on UNLV this year and redshirt and join them next year.

It’s the internet, so who knows.

If he was promised certain compensation, and he didn’t receive it, the other party or parties are in breach. He’s not an NFL prospect, he’s apparently well aware of that, and he has one shot at a payday, which he thought this was. He keeps playing, he loses that opportunity completely.

The party in the wrong seems to be the side that made a commitment to the player that they either can’t or had no intention of meeting.

The alternative is that he was approached with a better deal for next year and is preserving his eligibility to collect that.

If he was promised certain compensation, and he didn’t receive it, the other party or parties are in breach. He’s not an NFL prospect, he’s apparently well aware of that, and he has one shot at a payday, which he thought this was. He keeps playing, he loses that opportunity completely.

The party in the wrong seems to be the side that made a commitment to the player that they either can’t or had no intention of meeting.

The alternative is that he was approached with a better deal for next year and is preserving his eligibility to collect that.

That’s not the story coming out of Vegas. But there are two sides and I’m not sure that we’ll ever get the full story. But the Vegas side is that he came in and demanded an extra $300,000.

According to a Reddit post quoting a UNLV insider (Joe Arrigo according to the post), he went to Odom‘s office and demanded another $300,000 to stay. There are rumors that another school will pay him more to quit on UNLV this year and redshirt and join them next year.

This is exactly why sunshine would be the best disinfectant for the scummy world of college sports. The whole system sucks and the schools are entirely to blame.

FWIW, if people *know* that another school has offered this guy money for next season, then UNLV should make that public.

I'm so sick of all these coaches and university officials suggesting/leaking shady things and then refusing to speak about it (happens in CBB constantly).

This is exactly why sunshine would be the best disinfectant for the scummy world of college sports. The whole system sucks and the schools are entirely to blame.
A lot of this could be solved by tightening up transfer and redshirt rules. You quit on a season in the middle without an injury, you should have to truly justify your redshirt with all financial and contractual disclosures.

This is horrible for UNLV. I feel awful for their fans. And it sucks for us, because I think we were going to beat them.

Also, if things went a little bit differently last December, he would’ve been our quarterback. Or there would be a very good chance he’d be our quarterback. Would he have done this to us too?

FWIW, if people *know* that another school has offered this guy money for next season, then UNLV should make that public.

I'm so sick of all these coaches and university officials suggesting/leaking shady things and then refusing to speak about it (happens in CBB constantly).
There’s going to be a lot of scrutiny over the next school he attends. And there could be just enough plausible deniability, but this is an ugly episode whether it’s UNLV boosters not keeping their promise, or this kid just abandoning his team midseason during the best season in school history.

Who knows is right.

Is he really worth it for another school to do that? Kind of calling BS on that, especially since there’s no way to enforce that agreement. It’s a lot more plausible that the collective wasn’t following through on an agreement. Lot of these deals are made but they still need to raise money to pay the players. If they weren’t raising as much, they’re in a tough spot.

The coach or official may know something but likely doesn't have all the info/numbers. If Odom comes out and says so and so was tampering...first rebuttal will be 'name your sources'.

Aside: I think that the 4 game redshirt rule is a good way to develop depth and get 3-star types adjusted to the college game. But doing away with it is the best way to stop this mid-season tampering.

It crossed my mind that zeeds personal problem may be related to nil
Oof I sure hope not. But he’s a guy that can play now and still get paid a ton more to transfer next year too. Then go to the nfl. Think he’s better off producing big stats this year and getting more in offseason. Schools paying guys not to play (with lots of eligibility left) for other schools would be a messed up development

Then as a coach i would say thats what happened. We offered this and he accepted and in middle third of season wanted more and i did not agree to it.

Who knows is right.

Is he really worth it for another school to do that? Kind of calling BS on that, especially since there’s no way to enforce that agreement. It’s a lot more plausible that the collective wasn’t following through on an agreement. Lot of these deals are made but they still need to raise money to pay the players. If they weren’t raising as much, they’re in a tough spot.
Plus, we're talking about Sluka. The guy is a good runner and mediocre-at-best passer. Seems strange that another school would offer him sooooo much money for next season that he'd be willing to quit on his team now.

I'm an Occam's Razor adherent and it seems most likely that promise(s) were made to Sluka that haven't been kept. That's a pretty common occurrence, and now players have leverage to counter it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom