UNLV QB refuses to play rest of season | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

UNLV QB refuses to play rest of season

No celebration from me

They probably lose this week which means not ranked when we play.

It's easier to sell yourself and convince yourself things are going well if you have two top 25 wins first five games.

Plus

We have no idea how good the new QB ends up being

He may be less of a running threat but a way better passer
You mean if we lose we can use the old “We didn’t have the tape” excuse?

UNLV’s starting QB Matt Sluka announced on his Instagram that he won’t be playing the rest of the season due to NIL issues. He will use his redshirt year and transfer in the offseason.

The UNLV game just got a lot easier for us.

He may have been approached with more money to transfer.

is this the first "portal transfer holdout"?

Did the school or its collective fail or refuse to make a promised payment?

Has there been tampering by another school?

Isn't it a shame that all of this is happening in "college" football?

Best case scenario for us leaving a week before they play us. Let the backup play this week and see how the offense runs with a different QB.
If their back up knew our history with back ups, they’d be salivating.

1727266599855.jpeg

Oof I sure hope not. But he’s a guy that can play now and still get paid a ton more to transfer next year too. Then go to the nfl. Think he’s better off producing big stats this year and getting more in offseason. Schools paying guys not to play (with lots of eligibility left) for other schools would be a messed up development
He can play, but what if he hasn’t received what was promised to him?I wouldn’t play if if you weren’t giving me what you promised.

This to me is the best news of the day. This system has to be broken down to be rebuilt.

Sluka graduated from Holy Cross and it was a priority for him. Once he had his degree in hand, he's effectively an independent contractor playing for a final year of college making 6 figures, living rent free and getting free food and clothing. I do not blame him 1% for doing this. The system created this and he's exploiting if it's a contractual breach (which i assume it is) or the more craven bag from someone else (i don't blame him for this either).

I think this will happen at Syracuse and every other college absent congressional fix here. This is such a stupid idea of being a college student yet not being an employee per se.

I wouldn't go this far until we know all of the details. The guy has to make a decision now if he wants to play again next season. And he sure as hell isn't going pro. If UNLV screwed him over then he's making a business decision, just as they did apparently.
I agree - until we know all the details I don't see how the player is the bad guy here.

Is this binding on him? I mean, what's to stop a disgruntled player from dropping such a mid season threat?

My money is on things working out just fine for him. Assuming he's a great talent.
FWIW he turned down big programs to go to UNLV. So I assume he was offered big money to go to UNLV. I think SEC/ACC level were sniffing around at him.

He would have been our QB had Chesney arrived which is an incredible sliding doors scenario. He was a better version of Garrett and probably closer to Dungey talent wise. The holy roller can really make it happen.

This to me is the best news of the day. This system has to be broken down to be rebuilt.

Sluka graduated from Holy Cross and it was a priority for him. Once he had his degree in hand, he's effectively an independent contractor playing for a final year of college making 6 figures, living rent free and getting free food and clothing. I do not blame him 1% for doing this. The system created this and he's exploiting if it's a contractual breach (which i assume it is) or the more craven bag from someone else (i don't blame him for this either).

I think this will happen at Syracuse and every other college absent congressional fix here. This is such a stupid idea of being a college student yet not being an employee per se.
I agree this will not be the last time this happens and if UNLV fudged their deal I don't blame the player at all. Actually I don't blame the player if he did bail due to a better offer. Make the $ while you can and let's be fair - he is their whole offense. Whatever they were paying him wasn't enough.

I agree this will not be the last time this happens and if UNLV fudged their deal I don't blame the player at all. Actually I don't blame the player if he did bail due to a better offer. Make the $ while you can and let's be fair - he is their whole offense. Whatever they were paying him wasn't enough.

the unintended consequences of blindly paying collegiate athletes are beginning to show up. A school like UNLV where there's zero football culture or fan base it's easier to bolt vs if he did this at a FSU or Clemson where the infastructure would never allow it. They would quietly pass the hat if it was something to fixx.

UNLV’s starting QB Matt Sluka announced on his Instagram that he won’t be playing the rest of the season due to NIL issues. He will use his redshirt year and transfer in the offseason.

The UNLV game just got a lot easier for us.

He may have been approached with more money to transfer.

More likely he was misled/ lied to about NIL to induce him to come.

He can’t transfer again after this so his next team doesn’t have to worry. That being said I can’t see much demand for his style of play. He would need to fit a system. Even then I don’t think he is a P4 player.

I wouldn't go this far until we know all of the details. The guy has to make a decision now if he wants to play again next season. And he sure as hell isn't going pro. If UNLV screwed him over then he's making a business decision, just as they did apparently.

Yeah, that's why I said yikes to it all. Not meeting your commitments? Not good. Are other schools tampering? Which appears to be legal but frowned upon like steroids in MLB in the 90s? Not great.

But it's all just speculation for now.

He can’t transfer again after this so his next team doesn’t have to worry. That being said I can’t see much demand for his style of play. He would need to fit a system. Even then I don’t think he is a P4 player.
i would gather 40-50 schools will line up to get him. We may be one of them if McCord leaves for the NFL. In fact I hope we would be to cover our bases.

the unintended consequences of blindly paying collegiate athletes are beginning to show up. A school like UNLV where there's zero football culture or fan base it's easier to bolt vs if he did this at a FSU or Clemson where the infastructure would never allow it. They would quietly pass the hat if it was something to fixx.
NIL will never work until the system requires a legally binding written
contract which confirms that we are looking at a business where both
parties have a financially invested major interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom