Updated Bowl Projections | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Updated Bowl Projections

I think the Florida destination this time of year has a lot to do with it than Nashville where it may not be much warmer than say, southern Ohio. Although, obviously Nashville is a cool city, no pun intended.

It's our best location for selling tickets and fan support as we have a large fan base in FL and it's an easier travel destination than the others. The more tickets we sell, the more $ for SU. A good showing also helps not getting passed over in the future because of poor attendance.

Brett McMurphy, former ESPNer, Yahoo and now Stadium has us vs. Michigan St. in Pinstripe. He has good sources (he broke the Zach Smith story) and is Florida-based, where the CW Bowl is. Might be back to the the House That George Built.

If that happens I'm not surprised. I'd bet Swofford personally lobbied for good ole boy NC St. His attitude towards Yankee teams is take your check and shut up

Location: Orlando, Florida - much more appeal for the fan base and the team. Average high in the 72-73 range for that time of year.

Payout: (Correct me if I’m wrong) Split amongst all ACC teams. So that’s really a non factor.

Payout is shared equally amongst all of the teams in the conference (you’re right). The two caveats are:
1. Travel costs (netted against conference travel reimbursements)
2. Ticket allocations (unsold tickets cost the school money - sold out allocations make money)

It’s more a matter of prestige, exposure, proximity to recruits, and fun/ease of travel for fans, players, and families of players (I agree with what you wrote)

Last edited:
This could easily be wrong, but ...

I had always heard that, after expenses, the money from a particular bowl was divided into 16 shares: 1 went to ACC HQ in Greensboro, 1 went to the team that played in the bowl, and the other 14 shares went to each school. That works out to the participating school's receiving 2 shares (1/8) of the money from the bowl, 1 share (1/16) as the participant and the standard 1 share (1/16) as a conference member.

If that happens I'm not surprised. I'd bet Swofford personally lobbied for good ole boy NC St. His attitude towards Yankee teams is take your check and shut up
This conference is a joke.

This conference is a joke.

This would have NC State fans ROFLTheirAO. They're convinced that Swofford hates them and would do anything and everything to sabotage their program. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if there are a least a couple of posts on PackPride alleging Swofford is doing everything he can to keep them from the bowl they want. Greensboro doesn't care. They're getting their money regardless of who goes where. One thing they're very good at is finding a bowl slot for a team when the conference has more eligible teams than bowl slots committed to ACC teams, because, again, it means more $$$$$$ for the conference.

Look, it's fine. We get it. Will make our winning the conference next year all the more sweet.

Can any one help me understand this? So, I haven't paid much attention to bowls in my life, because Syracuse hasn't been in very many of them (since I was old enough to remember, outside the Pinstripe). Can someone explain to me why we want the camping world bowl so bad? As opposed to the music city bowl, where the pay out is higher, and geographically it may make more sense?
payout means nothing as all bowl money is split evenly, with a chance the playoff money goes to the school in the playoff

Wikdhack needs to step up and get us into a good bowl.

Why do you always get yourself so worked up before anything is decided? You do this in the game threads all the time! Just breathe and wait it out.

Sure the Pinstripe would be a disappointment but hey, we're going to a damn bowl! That hasn't happened often this century.

So in a normal year we'd be going to the Orange Bowl but this year we're going to the Pinstripe? Not buying it.

Or what? Maybe he and swofford are in cahoots to keep us out of a good bowl.
Or nothing it would look bad on him. Going 9 and 3 playing in the Bronx would be a disaster.

yes because his goal is not to place Syracuse in the best bowl possible, pretty sure Wildhack understands the job description.
I'm not saying that he is suppose be a mover and shaker with connections lets see it.

Or nothing it would look bad on him. Going 9 and 3 playing in the Bronx would be a disaster.

That would be a "disaster"?

101507_rutgers.jpg

an 8-4 Notre Dame team (let's face it, an 8-4 Notre Dame team has WAY more clout than a 9-3 SU team) played in the Pinstripe, and last i checked their program seems to still be intact. We get it, we all want a warm weather game, hopefully in the bowl that gets the 1st selection after the NY6. but the Pinstripe is hardly a disaster.

I used to prefer the name Alice. But use that for a single person.

At least in golf, the origin of this expression is when Peter Alliss the English professional golfer missed a very short putt to win the 1963 Ryder Cup. “Nice putt Alliss” came into being as a derogatory put down said to anyone who left a putt short or made a bad putt. It’s come to be used in even broader meanings outside golf as well. This concludes our etymology 101 session. :)

Last edited:
the pinstripe in a yr we didnt already play in the bronx would be fine if we arent in the playoffs or ny 6, that is the main reason along with the players and coaches wanting a new experience is why i am hoping we avoid pinstripe