Urban Meyer Knew of Abuse Allegations Against Ohio State Coach in 2015 | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Urban Meyer Knew of Abuse Allegations Against Ohio State Coach in 2015

From my source in Columbus... he gone. They are freaking out. He thinks UM would have been ok if he hadn’t of talked about the situation last week. They are going to can him for lying about it

1. Title IX applies to on campus
2. The police investigated. Was Meyer supposed to go to the FBI since the police did nothing?

Title IX doesn’t apply to an incident just “on campus”. Reporting needs to happen regardless of where an incident takes place. Clery Act reporting is tied more firmly to property owned, leased, or controlled by the university.

They are going to face a significant Title IX lawsuit.
They are going to cut bait. Obviously they want to keep Meyer but the PR is going to be insane if they keep him.
He is done and all because he was loyal to Earl Bruce’s grandson.

And you know what, yes, he, i believe in his heart was trying to do the right thing. He gave the kid a break bc he loved his grandfather. Thing is she never went to authorities, confided in urbans wife and other coaches wives in the circle. Urban prob knew and talked to his coach. All THAT considered...is it his responsibility to be tje whistle blower with this? How many of us would step in and butt in with a co-workers personal home life? This isnta systemic scandal but he is going to go down like pitino, briles, paterno, etc.

These guys are fb coaches, not administrative suits. Most dont read or care about title 9.

Title IX doesn’t apply to an incident just “on campus”. Reporting needs to happen regardless of where an incident takes place. Clery Act reporting is tied more firmly to property owned, leased, or controlled by the university.

I dont see how title ix applies here. What duty did the University have to Ms. Smith? She was not an employee or a student and thus couldnt be denied a benefit.

My wife works for the State. If she kicks the poo out of me, and i tell someone else who works for the State, and they dont report it, surely the State is not liable to me for the actions of my wife.

I dont see how title ix applies here. What duty did the University have to Ms. Smith? She was not an employee or a student and thus couldnt be denied a benefit.

My wife works for the State. If she kicks the poo out of me, and i tell someone else who works for the State, and they dont report it, surely the State is not liable to me for the actions of my wife.
From an article I read.
"If any responsible employee, as that role is defined under Title IX, knows of intimate partner violence or other forms of sex or gender-based discrimination occurring within a federally-funded educational program, that employee would be obligated to promptly notify the school's Title IX coordinator of what they know”
Since Smith is a coach he could have been a threat to the campus. Thus, Meyer is bound to protect the community about Smith’s threat and report the violence.

I agree. I don't know how Title IX applies here. If I find out about a sexual misconduct incident involving a student or employee (employee on employee or student on employee), I am obligated to report it to the Title IX Officer. If I find out one of my employees is abusing their spouse, I don't have a duty to report the employee to the Title IX Officer (completely out of the university's purview). Do I have an obligation to report it to the police? No, it is not illegal to sit on the information. However, it's the right thing to do. And, if I work at a public institution and am the highest paid employee in the state, you better believe that I need to do the right thing and report the alleged abuse to the correct authorities (see Penn State for textbook example).

Last edited:
From an article I read.
"If any responsible employee, as that role is defined under Title IX, knows of intimate partner violence or other forms of s e x or gender-based discrimination occurring within a federally-funded educational program, that employee would be obligated to promptly notify the school's Title IX coordinator of what they know”
Since Smith is a coach he could have been a threat to the campus. Thus, Meyer is bound to protect the community about Smith’s threat and report the violence.

Oh that's a bunch of B.S.. protect the community? If she went to the authorities it would gave been nipped in the bud.

That’s just internet group think that has taken off as fact.

“It's not clear that what Courtney Smith is alleging would amount to a Title IX violation. A judge in Colorado dismissed a lawsuit about a similar case earlier this year. In that instance, the judge said University of Colorado officials were not legally obligated to act when they learned about a domestic abuse situation between an assistant football coach and his significant other. Courtney Smith is not an Ohio State employee, and the alleged incidents did not occur on campus.”

Ohio St. places Meyer on administrative leave

I don’t think it’s simply the interwebz pushing this.

The former ESPN employee (can’t remember the name) that is the investigative reporter on this was on the David Glenn Show (Raleigh) yesterday. He and Glenn were insinuating that Title IX was violated here.

I don’t know the nuance here, and you may very well be correct. But this angle is coming directly from the journalist breaking the story and not internet randoms.

From my source in Columbus... he gone. They are freaking out. He thinks UM would have been ok if he hadn’t of talked about the situation last week. They are going to can him for lying about it

they have to.

And you know what, yes, he, i believe in his heart was trying to do the right thing. He gave the kid a break bc he loved his grandfather. Thing is she never went to authorities, confided in urbans wife and other coaches wives in the circle. Urban prob knew and talked to his coach. All THAT considered...is it his responsibility to be tje whistle blower with this? How many of us would step in and butt in with a co-workers personal home life? This isnta systemic scandal but he is going to go down like pitino, briles, paterno, etc.

These guys are fb coaches, not administrative suits. Most dont read or care about title 9.

On ESPNU radio they mentioned his reworked contract specifically mentioned he was responsible for these types of issues. And even if he wasn't, if he knew about it (which I believe he did), no school nor employer is going to stand behind the Head Coach/CEO for doing nothing.

I don’t think it’s simply the interwebz pushing this.

The former ESPN employee (can’t remember the name) that is the investigative reporter on this was on the David Glenn Show (Raleigh) yesterday. He and Glenn were insinuating that Title IX was violated here.

I don’t know the nuance here, and you may very well be correct. But this angle is coming directly from the journalist breaking the story and not internet randoms.

What sells more views/clicks? Media isn’t genuine.

Oh that's a bunch of B.S.. protect the community? If she went to the authorities it would gave been nipped in the bud.

So this is all the victim's fault? Why not go further and say, she made him hit, push and choke her? She made him send threatening texts to her after they got a divorce. So maybe I was wrong in the first question...she is not the victim...the ex-husband, Urban Meyer and anyone who knew are the victims.

I think your post may have made the Top 10 for dumbest posts...congrats!

I still think this is different because Urban stood up there on media day and denied having any knowledge. Maybe his wife will back him on that (she has about 7.6M reasons per year to do so), but no one is going to buy it.

If he keeps his job it's because Ohio State sits on this and relies on the attention span of America. We'll be onto our next scandal in no time. He'd be back by the Penn State game when they've "concluded their internal investigation and found no wrongdoing". He'd be running things from behind the scenes, like a baseball manager in the tunnel after being ejected.
that is a great point regarding media and how they choose to cover. Les Moonves held a conference call yesterday and didn't get asked one question about harassment allegations surfacing against him. Not one.

So this is all the victim's fault? Why not go further and say, she made him hit, push and choke her? She made him send threatening texts to her after they got a divorce. So maybe I was wrong in the first question...she is not the victim...the ex-husband, Urban Meyer and anyone who knew are the victims.

I think your post may have made the Top 10 for dumbest posts...congrats!

She is the victim and the ex husband was at fault for making her life miserable. Not sure anyone would disagree w that. Because I do believe in due process, I want to hear what Urban has to say before we hang him to dry completely. I think Ohio St has handled this (post McMurphy story) as well as they can.

She is the victim and the ex husband was at fault for making her life miserable. Not sure anyone would disagree w that. Because I do believe in due process, I want to hear what Urban has to say before we hang him to dry completely. I think Ohio St has handled this (post McMurphy story) as well as they can.

He's already said he didn't know...but, he did.

I completely agree...however when someone posts something like what I replied to, it makes me wonder if the poster understands who the victim is...

Whether Title IX is involved or not, whether Urban is the busiest most focused football coach in the world, whether he read his contract re-write or not, whether he led the couple in a counseling or bible study session...I don't give a rat's arse. He's a husband with 2 daughters and he protected, ignored, or turned a blind eye to a situation that -unless you live in a cave and truly care only about yourself - is front and center in every walk of life. That is despicable and OSU should send him packing. That said OSU athletics is a cesspool (wrestling, diving, Urban) and they don't care. about optics, just cash. Sports - college, pro and even youth operates under Greed is good. It saddens me and gets worse every day.

It isn’t like Meyer commuted the abuse. Meyer decided to not fire the guy three years ago, who was not charged by police. Meyer was under no obligation to fire the guy.

Meyer gives tOSU the best shot at winning a title. The school, boosters, fans all know this and will do everything possible to ride the storm. People will forget about this by the start of the B1G schedule.

Yep Urban waited until Smith's grandfather died and Smith conveniently violated a retraining order to pounce. BTW, for people saying why would Urban stick his career on the line for an assistant coach. His career is already on the line with his assistant coaches...i believe Smith was an excellent recruiter. Also, consider the fact that Urban's career began because the dude's grandfather gave Urban a break makes it much more of a challenge to fire him.

He's already said he didn't know...but, he did.

So he lied to media, that happens all the time. If Meyer’s story is the following, why would he be held accountable?

1. The WR coach and his wife were separated in 2015.
2. Police investigated
3. She told the wives
4. Meyer confronted him (as per her story) and he denied it to Meyer
5. Meyer knew about the police investigation

Since they were separated she wasn’t in immediate danger. Since the coach denied it there is a he said she said situation. Since the police investigated, it was already reported. So what else was Meyer to do? Sure he could have fired the coach but at the same time that likely puts her in more danger.

So he lied to media, that happens all the time. If Meyer’s story is the following, why would he be held accountable?

2. Police investigated
3. She told the wives

Since they were separated she wasn’t in immediate danger. Since the coach denied it there is a he said she said situation. Since the police investigated, it was already reported. So what else was Meyer to do? Sure he could have fired the coach but at the same time that likely puts her in more danger.

So, he was protecting her by keeping him on the staff? come on.

2. Police investigated
3. She told the wives

Agree with the point highlighted above. Hardly a fireable offense.

This will be more complex than it first appeared. It is also hard to hold somebody accountable for actions several years ago, by evolving standards that are more focused upon today. I think it would be totally different if Urban were directly responsible for something, rather than just oblivious to something occurring outside of his program. But then again, Jim Tressell got fired over something he was indirectly "responsible" for, so who knows.

Agree with the point highlighted above. Hardly a fireable offense.

This will be more complex than it first appeared. It is also hard to hold somebody accountable for actions several years ago, by evolving standards that are more focused upon today. I think it would be totally different if Urban were directly responsible for something, rather than just oblivious to something occurring outside of his program. But then again, Jim Tressell got fired over something he was indirectly "responsible" for, so who knows.

it's an electable thing these days too! I care less if he lied to the media. I'm really gunshy about the mob mentality these days with stuff like this before we have a real account from Urban on what they were doing behind the scenes regarding this situation. I would think it was a sensitive situation that they were not gonna play out in the media to make matters worse. Again, we're just speculating on 100 things.

It's a terrible situation for Ms. Smith. She's the victim. To just fire hose Urban Meyer without knowing really anything more than her account and no response from Urban's wife either.

Liken this to the Boeheim situation w Fine. If we went on the initial story, before hearing from Jim, we would have immediately had him fired for not doing more to stop Bernie Fine, the supposed sexual predator.