Urban Meyer Knew of Abuse Allegations Against Ohio State Coach in 2015 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Urban Meyer Knew of Abuse Allegations Against Ohio State Coach in 2015

A few things (i admittedly have not deep-dived this, nor than i intend too):

1. Did Meyer do a coverup, or did he just not report what Smith's saying occurred (or what he and his wife knew/believed to have occurred)?

2. Did Meyer/his wife even have a legal duty to report? Assuming Smith's wife was not an employee of OSU, she has no recourse under Title IX, which pertains to employees and students. Lots of parents/spouses/family members of public employers are subject to bad things and are in no way covered under Title IX.

3. Without condoning it, domestic violence situations are really tricky. I am not in law enforcement, but their is a reason police officers can usually act as complainants for domestic violence charges - the victim often doesnt cooperate or want the offender prosecuted. While nobody should certainly condone violence, its difficult to turn around and fire someone from their job when that is their means of financial supporting their family and even the person they have victimized.

4. Did Ms. Smith ever go to law enforcement? Is this a case where on one hand she was opening up about the trauma she endured, while on the other simply going along with it (for whatever reason)?

While in the end, it wouldnt bother me if Meyer got his walking papers, because as a man, i dont know how you can't look at another man and say "you're a scumbag, there is no place for your BS or you on this team working with kids," and then fire the guy, this strikes me as very different than PSU, Baylor, or MSU.

I think Urban painted himself in a corner at the media day by addressing the question and saying he never knew anything about it so definitively. He should have said that's not a topic for today, and we're looking into it.

The text pictures will come out, the court of public opinion will take over, and he's done. If he wants to get into a he said/she said with either his own wife or Ms. Smith, I'm guessing that's not going to end well.

He's going to lose his job. Ohio State is already in PR mode, based on the fact that neither Schiano nor Wilson (both of whom have P5 head coaching experience...and baggage) weren't named interim.

I'm glad Syracuse is very tough on domestic violence. Oh wait, we're in the genuflecting department as well!

-f8b1a45eee2a8111.jpg

She is not genuflecting, she is trying to read the plaque on the side of the base of the statue...

I think Urban painted himself in a corner at the media day by addressing the question and saying he never knew anything about it so definitively. He should have said that's not a topic for today, and we're looking into it.

The text pictures will come out, the court of public opinion will take over, and he's done. If he wants to get into a he said/she said with either his own wife or Ms. Smith, I'm guessing that's not going to end well.

He's going to lose his job. Ohio State is already in PR mode, based on the fact that neither Schiano nor Wilson (both of whom have P5 head coaching experience...and baggage) weren't named interim.
They won’t give it to Schiano.
They will leave the guy they named as interim HC and then hope to pry Tom Herman from Texas after the year.

If Les Miles wasn’t a Michigan man he could have been a possible 1 year caretaker.

They won’t give it to Schiano.
They will leave the guy they named as interim HC and then hope to pry Tom Herman from Texas after the year.

If Les Miles wasn’t a Michigan man he could have been a possible 1 year caretaker.

Will Tom Herman have the stain of this on him? (or will it matter). He was on staff when all of this went down right?

Will Tom Herman have the stain of this on him? (or will it matter). He was on staff when all of this went down right?
When it started in 2009 Herman was at Iowa State.
When the 2015 incident happened he was the HC at Houston.

He is clean. He will be their target and if Texas doesn’t have a leap this year he will jump before the heat gets on him.
Then of course Texas will throw everything at Nick Saban.

Dino goes to Ohio State. Who says no?

I hate Ohio State with the fire of 10,000 suns. Still, if they offered me a head coaching job, I’d take it in a heartbeat. I wouldn’t blame Dino for an instant if he left for OSU. Regardless, the chances of that happening approach zero.

Boeheim to Ohio State.
While we ponder scenarios that will never happen.

If we have a season that results in Dino moving on to a better job I will drive him to the airport.

He is clean. He will be their target and if Texas doesn’t have a leap this year he will jump before the heat gets on him.

Thanks, didn't realize he wasn't there for either.

I think Texas would go after a Brohm or Campbell type. Saban turns 67 on Halloween, don't know that they want to try to play the long game with him. I don't think Brohm or Campbell have any dream jobs. Brohm isn't going to leave Texas for Louisville. Campbell is from Ohio, but that job in theory would be locked up for awhile.

I'm off topic, but the topic is upsetting, so forgive me.

2. Did Meyer/his wife even have a legal duty to report? Assuming Smith's wife was not an employee of OSU, she has no recourse under Title IX, which pertains to employees and students. Lots of parents/spouses/family members of public employers are subject to bad things and are in no way covered under Title IX.

Meyer, Shelley | College of Nursing

If Dino was ever approached to coach tOSU it would mean he had a couple of stellar years w/SU. Though I'd be loathe to lose him, I might take that bargain - especially if it meant he left the cupboard full.

If Dino was ever approached to coach tOSU it would mean he had a couple of stellar years w/SU. Though I'd be loathe to lose him, I might take that bargain - especially if it meant he left the cupboard full.

tOSU would view Dino as gimmicky, I would think. They get the best athletes and roll, not sure a million offensive possessions is something they think they need.

What would be dirty is if Shelley Meyer was the one who talked the victim out of filing a complaint with the police.

There is not a doubt in mind though Urban was aware of this stuff and because this kid was the grandson of his mentor Earl Bruce legendary Ohio State coach he didn’t want to cut him loose.
McMurphy getting him on record last week denying any knowledge is his death blow.
Another example of the Coverup always is worse than the crime.

tOSU would view Dino as gimmicky, I would think. They get the best athletes and roll, not sure a million offensive possessions is something they think they need.
Dino’s age is why a school like Ohio State wouldn’t want him either. He wouldn’t be there long term.

They will look at Herman from Texas or Campbell from Iowa State.
Guys who are younger and give them stability.

Boeheim to Ohio State.
While we ponder scenarios that will never happen.

If we have a season that results in Dino moving on to a better job I will drive him to the airport.

In 1986 Boeheim was offered the head coaching job at Ohio State but turned it down to stay at Syracuse.

I was just having fun w the Dino aspect of this. I would be more concerned with Dino if Ohio st poaches a coach at another school and a funnel of coaches moving happens.

People complain about Calipari, SEC football coaches, etc. This guy is WAY dirtier than all those. He gets off too easily in the public eye. Hopefully that is over.

Why does anyone think Herman would leave UT for anywhere? UT has all the resources in the world and have an easier path to the BCS playoff in the big 12 then any in the big 10 where they have to play Ped St, Michigan, Michigan St, etc... He's getting the UT recruiting machine going as well.

If Herman flames out at UT he's going to a lesser job not an equal job.

Chris Ash all the way.

You guys haven’t been paying attention to the miracles he’s performing in Jersey.

So much so that the taint (not THAT taint, Chip) from being Urban’s co-DC doesn’t diminish how brightly he shines.

I would be surprised if he is let go. I can see a year's suspension, a tearful ' I'm sorry/I messed up big time/I learned my lesson/It won't happen again/How about 'dem Buckeyes?!?!'

Cue the media stories next summer about how Urban did some soul searching...and Voila!!!

I think that Penn State provided the template for how to re-hab the scandal and OSU is going to follow it...