USA East Coast Basketball trip with Benny Williams | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

USA East Coast Basketball trip with Benny Williams

6 SU players have shot over 40% from 3 in a season in the last 34 seasons and he's one of them.
Yes, and the other 5 played on teams that had winning records.

Any conversation with the words "Joe Girard" and "defense" is completely pointless. That he was
the best defensive guard on last year's team, at least who played more than 15 mins a game, is a
joke, as who he beat was equally as bad. There was no guard who they have played over the last
few years who has said, "Oh, thank heavens they're playing zone, because I wouldn't know what to
do if Girard or Buddy was covering me." They both stink/stank/stunk at defense, and that might
have something to do with the record over the last four years having the most losses in a season
by JB and (twice) the third most. He used to value defense; shockingly, that changed with the
arrival of Buddy, at least as far as the guards went, because he still called out the Fs and Cs for
not playing enough D, not getting to the shooters, etc.

I think if he gives the same leeway to others as he's excused for Joe/Buddy, I think guys like
Benny could have good seasons. But if he's going to give carte blanche to Joe and only Joe,
there will be many who aren't pleased.

Kev

Joe gets steals because he gambles a lot in the passing lanes. He doesn’t stop the ball from going into the middle and he doesn’t affect shooters on closeouts.

Just think how bad the others were behind him who graded worse on defense.

Yes, and the other 5 played on teams that had winning records.

Any conversation with the words "Joe Girard" and "defense" is completely pointless. That he was
the best defensive guard on last year's team, at least who played more than 15 mins a game, is a
joke, as who he beat was equally as bad. There was no guard who they have played over the last
few years who has said, "Oh, thank heavens they're playing zone, because I wouldn't know what to
do if Girard or Buddy was covering me." They both stink/stank/stunk at defense, and that might
have something to do with the record over the last four years having the most losses in a season
by JB and (twice) the third most. He used to value defense; shockingly, that changed with the
arrival of Buddy, at least as far as the guards went, because he still called out the Fs and Cs for
not playing enough D, not getting to the shooters, etc.

I think if he gives the same leeway to others as he's excused for Joe/Buddy, I think guys like
Benny could have good seasons. But if he's going to give carte blanche to Joe and only Joe,
there will be many who aren't pleased.

Kev
You're moving the goalposts. I said nothing about anything you posted. I responded to KCSU about Girard's shooting which is significantly above average for Syracuse standards.

You're moving the goalposts. I said nothing about anything you posted. I responded to KCSU about Girard's shooting which is significantly above average for Syracuse standards.
It was a response to more than just yours, but yours sure provided a good lead in.

I'm not going to rag more on Joe, or Buddy, I think they are both decent supporting players. They are
good-to-great shooters with flaws, and you can hide them if the team is built correctly, but last year,
coach tried to hide them with three other guys with the same skillset. I don't believe they are the type of
alpha you need to be competitive in high level hoops. They are probably fine as an alpha in a lower tier
conference. I think the impression we got going into last season is that maybe Benny could be that player,
didn't work out. Hope he gets there this year, or hope it's Mintz, or whomever, but be someone who you
can roll out who doesn't necessarily have to shoot 7-11 from deep to overcome their flaws.

KF

It was a response to more than just yours, but yours sure provided a good lead in.

I'm not going to rag more on Joe, or Buddy, I think they are both decent supporting players. They are
good-to-great shooters with flaws, and you can hide them if the team is built correctly, but last year,
coach tried to hide them with three other guys with the same skillset. I don't believe they are the type of
alpha you need to be competitive in high level hoops. They are probably fine as an alpha in a lower tier
conference. I think the impression we got going into last season is that maybe Benny could be that player,
didn't work out. Hope he gets there this year, or hope it's Mintz, or whomever, but be someone who you
can roll out who doesn't necessarily have to shoot 7-11 from deep to overcome their flaws.

KF
We will need Girard this year. He's our best shooter and I imagine no worse than our 3rd or 4th best player. I'm of the opinion that I think our 4 best guys include Symir too. It's the forwards I am most concerned about.

We will need Girard this year. He's our best shooter and I imagine no worse than our 3rd or 4th best player. I'm of the opinion that I think our 4 best guys include Symir too. It's the forwards I am most concerned about.

I think if he gives players a chance to play through mistakes - since they ALL are young - it will help the team grow and develop. We could be a pretty good team by the end of the year, trending upward for what comes next.

If he's pissed off all the time, yanking guys out at the first mistake and then burying them on the bench for the rest of the game, well, we're probably going to be terrible. Because they're mostly like that - inexperienced and mistake-prone.

I think if he gives players a chance to play through mistakes - since they ALL are young - it will help the team grow and develop. We could be a pretty good team by the end of the year, trending upward for what comes next.

If he's pissed off all the time, yanking guys out at the first mistake and then burying them on the bench for the rest of the game, well, we're probably going to be terrible. Because they're mostly like that - inexperienced and mistake-prone.
The old man isn’t going to change. It will be a 7 man rotation. I expect Bunch, Benny and Taylor to take turns being JB’s whipping boys. Hima will play behind Edwards. Mintz, Girard and Edwards(barring foul trouble) will play big minutes all year. Don’t be surprised if we see Symir play the back line of the zone. It’s going to be a small team outside of Edwards. I’m not joking.

The old man isn’t going to change. It will be a 7 man rotation. I expect Bunch, Benny and Taylor to take turns being JB’s whipping boys. Hima will play behind Edwards. Mintz, Girard and Edwards(barring foul trouble) will play big minutes all year. Don’t be surprised if we see Symir play the back line of the zone. It’s going to be a small team outside of Edwards. I’m not joking.

My hope is that there were a few whispers that this will be his last year. He has all these new guys, it's like he's tee'ing up the roster for the next coach. If he DOESN"T play all these guys, then it's a crime, and it's short-sighted, because the half of them who don't play will leave. Why bring in 7 freshman if you're only going to play 3 of them?

My hope is that there were a few whispers that this will be his last year. He has all these new guys, it's like he's tee'ing up the roster for the next coach. If he DOESN"T play all these guys, then it's a crime, and it's short-sighted, because the half of them who don't play will leave. Why bring in 7 freshman if you're only going to play 3 of them?

Because not every freshman pans out. JB isn’t playing 11 guys.

I think it’s most likely an uphill battle for Carey, Copeland, and Brown to get much PT this year. We just need to hope they are willing to wait a year or two like Jesse did. I expect at least 2 guys to transfer next year. One of Brown or Carey and one of the young perimeter players. It’s feels Copeland is the last option there this year.

I think it’s most likely an uphill battle for Carey, Copeland, and Brown to get much PT this year. We just need to hope they are willing to wait a year or two like Jesse did. I expect at least 2 guys to transfer next year. One of Brown or Carey and one of the young perimeter players. It’s feels Copeland is the last option there this year.
If Brown can hit an open three, his ability to rebound and compete physically might get him into the rotation, particularly if Taylor and Bunch aren't hitting at a high rate.

Girard and Symir gone after this year and if Mintz is ready as many say - who knows?

Would be good for Copeland to stay if he’s the only returning guard. Also would be nice if he can get some kind of role this year so that we have some kind of returning experience at guard in 2024.

Only thing I'll disagree with is that I don't think we see Symir, or any other guard, play much back line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom