USA Lax Mag Preseason Poll | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

USA Lax Mag Preseason Poll

The word "terrific" is not really synonymous with "very good", thus you can lead people to misunderstand what you are posting.
the last restaurant , theater and vacation Ive enjoyed were all terrific . Very pleased and impressed, will return to all . Thank you

Delaware is legit. All kinds of talent on offense, plus Grant who is a takeaway machine on defense and Kilkeary who is very solid in goal. Faceoffs are a question mark but if they get enough possessions, they are going to win a ton of games. CAA isn't exactly great in the FO department so they might be ok there. Could see them not only winning the CAA but also being in the discussion for an at-large bid, provided the RPI is within the rage of consideration. Looking at their schedule, I think they go 10-4 or 11-3.

Delaware is legit. All kinds of talent on offense, plus Grant who is a takeaway machine on defense and Kilkeary who is very solid in goal. Faceoffs are a question mark but if they get enough possessions, they are going to win a ton of games. CAA isn't exactly great in the FO department so they might be ok there. Could see them not only winning the CAA but also being in the discussion for an at-large bid, provided the RPI is within the rage of consideration. Looking at their schedule, I think they go 10-4 or 11-3.
I get that everyone has fun doing rankings and it is great to see tier 2 and tier 3 divisions 1 teams improving. What I have difficulty with is ranking teams and ranking individual and team stats for teams with significantly weaker conferences and schedules. Despite Cuse's coaching and defensive woes last year, they never lost to a "weak" team - Holy Cross, Vermont, Stony Brook, Albany etc. - those games were really not competitive although the defense made them closer than they should have been.

Once you get beyond the ACC, BIG10, Patriot and Ivy, there is a big drop off in overall talent. To pretend that statistics are comparable is simply dishonest.

Always wonder with sport write-ups if these unnamed coaches/scouts/opponent comments are actually from a actual someone or just created by author from what is generally known or believed.

Same with news and anonymous sources . Know there are suppose to be journalistic principles to follow.

Anyway,

Deluca is well thought of coach by the Cornellians I know.
Gait will problably attract more box and Canadian players

They list Jared Fernandez as the top newcomer even though he transferred in last year. They acknowledge this but also the paragraph on Fernandez ends mid-sentence. Curious why they didn't choose Russell Maher?

They list Jared Fernandez as the top newcomer even though he transferred in last year. They acknowledge this but also the paragraph on Fernandez ends mid-sentence. Curious why they didn't choose Russell Maher?

Maher was hurt in the fall per FanLax and may not have had much practice time

Fernandez meanwhile is going to be one of their top 2 LSMs so probably more of a sure thing than Maher to contribute in 2022

Not sure Maher sees the field that much even if he is healthy. He's more of a 2023 guy at this point.

Hops an interesting team, hard to know what to make of them with that killer schedule. Almost all of the offense is back but Williams may end up being a bigger loss then I would have thought. 2nd on points and he was drawing a lot of attention which I think opened things up for Desimone. Now teams might put their #1 cover guy on Desimone and make Epstein prove he's all the way back healthy to his frosh year. He was better last year then he was in the abbreviated 2020 but he doesn't have that burst he had when he was a frosh.

Grimes is playing midfield these days so interesting to see what he does in his Soph year. Degnon is probably the top middie and the guy who could be the biggest issue for opposing D's outside of the 1-2 combo at attack.

Hop's biggest issues are really the same as SU's right now. Not a ton of depth offensively so an injury or 2 would be a total crusher and the schedule could easily snowball on them if there not careful. For example they could start our 2-0 and then be 2-4 3 weeks later. These unforgiving schedules can get away from a team quickly if your not careful.

Hops an interesting team, hard to know what to make of them with that killer schedule. Almost all of the offense is back but Williams may end up being a bigger loss then I would have thought. 2nd on points and he was drawing a lot of attention which I think opened things up for Desimone. Now teams might put their #1 cover guy on Desimone and make Epstein prove he's all the way back healthy to his frosh year. He was better last year then he was in the abbreviated 2020 but he doesn't have that burst he had when he was a frosh.

Grimes is playing midfield these days so interesting to see what he does in his Soph year. Degnon is probably the top middie and the guy who could be the biggest issue for opposing D's outside of the 1-2 combo at attack.

Hop's biggest issues are really the same as SU's right now. Not a ton of depth offensively so an injury or 2 would be a total crusher and the schedule could easily snowball on them if there not careful. For example they could start our 2-0 and then be 2-4 3 weeks later. These unforgiving schedules can get away from a team quickly if your not careful.

Good analysis. Only thing is, teams were already putting their #1 defenders on DeSimone for pretty much the entire second half of the season once it became clear he was the guy. But he still will have more attention on him without Williams so that point is spot on. A lot will depend on Epstein. If he can get back in the 50+ point range, they won't miss Williams much.

I guess I thought of Maher because of Williams and Grimes. Hopkins has a hole in their left handed attack spot, and with Grimes being kept at midfield, I figured that meant Maher was meant for that spot on the attack. Of course if he was out for fall, its impossible to tell. I don't remember who they had at that spot for fall ball and I am not up to sifting through FanLax to find it.

They could also have chosen the 5-star incoming freshman defenseman JoJo Todaro.

I thought that article seemed a little thin as preview.
Both Degnon (25 points) and Angulus (24 points) return at the midfield. Probably, Grimes will have to give attack another try, as they don't have that many notable lefties. Peshko really started coming on towards the end of the year, with his 10 points coming in their last 6 game. Actually, their other 5 star recruit Casey McDemott started to show some promise also, scoring his 7 points, in Hopkins last 5 games.

As for the defense, they say little. Hopkins did lose their top 2 GB guys in Delaney and Reinson. I thought Marcille looked decent in goal at the end of the year.

I thought that article seemed a little thin as preview.
Both Degnon (25 points) and Angulus (24 points) return at the midfield. Probably, Grimes will have to give attack another try, as they don't have that many notable lefties. Peshko really started coming on towards the end of the year, with his 10 points coming in their last 6 game. Actually, their other 5 star recruit Casey McDemott started to show some promise also, scoring his 7 points, in Hopkins last 5 games.

As for the defense, they say little. Hopkins did lose their top 2 GB guys in Delaney and Reinson. I thought Marcille looked decent in goal at the end of the year.

These previews lack a lot, but they are all we have right now. It’s probably one or two writers trying to compile a lot of information on twenty different teams. So there is definitely stuff missing. The quotes from coaches I think are usually the biggest takeaways.

The Syracuse one is due to tomorrow. I imagine Gavin will be named top newcomer Maybe Caccomo? Have to think Dordevic, Curry and Hiltz will get the most mentions. Obviously there are a lot of storylines for the Orange.

Hopkins, Merrimack, Colgate, Marist and BU are chosen as the schools to improve the most from last year to this. Beginning to feel like Hopkins is so underrated they have become overrated at this point.

Hopkins, Merrimack, Colgate, Marist and BU are chosen as the schools to improve the most from last year to this. Beginning to feel like Hopkins is so underrated they have become overrated at this point.

Yeah they are getting all of the under the radar love so far. I could see them being improved and yet not have much of a better record than last year based on that schedule.

The only thing holding Hop back from having a top ten rank is their 2021 record.
Many view their play in the last few weeks of last season has as a harbinger of what they will be in 2022.

There is also some belief that b10 was underrated, the NCAA performances of Maryland and Rutgers did lend credibility to that view and Hopkins did fare well agaisnt both down the stretch as noted

Hop plays tough schedule as does Cuse , finish over .500 should lead to tourney selection for either

Not sure where they get adjusted EMO %

Cuse incurred nearly twenty minutes more in penalty minutes than opponent

Cuse man upOpp
Power Plays: G-OPP14-3227-55
Power Plays: Percentage.438.491

Pretty thin rundown of the Orange from US Lax. Yesterday's Hop preview was pretty lacking as well. Kind of odd considering they are the two most interested fan bases in the sport. You'd think they'd try to add a little bit more info in each (nothing about Dordevic's possible move to attack and the implications of that, for instance) but then again I'm sure they are strapped for resources so I'm just glad the sport is getting any coverage at all.

Pretty thin rundown of the Orange from US Lax. Yesterday's Hop preview was pretty lacking as well. Kind of odd considering they are the two most interested fan bases in the sport. You'd think they'd try to add a little bit more info in each (nothing about Dordevic's possible move to attack and the implications of that, for instance) but then again I'm sure they are strapped for resources so I'm just glad the sport is getting any coverage at all.

No surprising given the Hopkins writeup yesterday, but still dissapointing. I think the writers just get on the phone with the head coach and have a quick conversation, look up some stats from last year and write the story. Frustrating to have that sort of access but not really take advantage of it, especially given that there are so many angles for this years team. I learned nothing from this. Some questions I might have asked -

1. What is the development of Jakob Phaup look like? Given his up and down performances last year, how did he look in the offseason, did he do anything different to prepare?
2. There are lots of faces on defense with starting experience (Hapney, Horan, Kennedy, DiPietro and Murphy all have experience for SU playing close), who stood out in the fall? Any word on where Brett Kennedy might play given the rumors of him going back to close?
3. What will the offense look like, and how will it differ from last year? Are there young players who have stood out that might get a shot at playing time?

On another note, the regular season starts one month from tomorrow, so I'm guessing if it is not today (not looking like it so far), tomorrow will be media day and the first day of practice.

No surprising given the Hopkins writeup yesterday, but still dissapointing. I think the writers just get on the phone with the head coach and have a quick conversation, look up some stats from last year and write the story. Frustrating to have that sort of access but not really take advantage of it, especially given that there are so many angles for this years team. I learned nothing from this. Some questions I might have asked -

1. What is the development of Jakob Phaup look like? Given his up and down performances last year, how did he look in the offseason, did he do anything different to prepare?
2. There are lots of faces on defense with starting experience (Hapney, Horan, Kennedy, DiPietro and Murphy all have experience for SU playing close), who stood out in the fall? Any word on where Brett Kennedy might play given the rumors of him going back to close?
3. What will the offense look like, and how will it differ from last year? Are there young players who have stood out that might get a shot at playing time?

On another note, the regular season starts one month from tomorrow, so I'm guessing if it is not today (not looking like it so far), tomorrow will be media day and the first day of practice.

I believe its tomorrow

i can get the last 5 winners with uva, umd, unc and yale. decent return on hoos and terps, better than 50% on unc, and a windfall with yale.

not a ton of risk on anyone but duke and maybe loyola, imo. the others to me would be outliers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom