USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

It gets more ridiculous by the moment, I just wonder where we end up in this game of musical chairs. Maybe there is some realignment of smaller private schools, like-minded with Cuse, and we go into a private school conference. Geography and tradition are just throw out the window with all this anarchy.
BC, Wake, SU, Tulane, SMU, Rice, TCU, Army, Navy, Miami(?), Duke(?), Baylor(?), BYU(?). You could have Northwestern, Stanford and Vanderbilt as out of conference scheduling options.

SU has invested over $150 million in updating the Dome and is planning another $150 million in upgrades to Manley. That’s a lot of money to play in a minor conference. Not money well spent.
Then one would have to assume that the people making decisions for the University expect Syracuse to be going to the A league at some point.

BC, Wake, SU, Tulane, SMU, Rice, TCU, Army, Navy, Miami(?), Duke(?), Baylor(?), BYU(?). You could have Northwestern, Stanford and Vanderbilt as out of conference scheduling options.
Wildhack needs to think Gavitt like and figure out how we can land geographically. Work w Father Leahy at BC, UConn, Pitt, WVU, Louisville, Army, Duke, WF combine w the hoops only. Feel like this is our destiny.

How? The Big12 and CUSA just went thru such an event and they added teams and their GOR's held, and their GOR's were close to expiration.
Completely my own point of view….If it’s no longer the NCAA does GOR apply? At the very least, the SEC and Big 10 will hold all power for deciding the playoff format with a few more additions. Clemson and other schools will be begging the ACC to release them

It’s said to be debatable if the GOR can even hold up in courts.

Who owns all of these conferences? Fox and ESPN

the league will stay mostly as is unless a bunch of schools join up to leave. The acc should be trying to make a bicoastal league of the pac 12 schools

The Atlantic-Pacific Coast league. (yeech!)

You don’t think that UCLA volleyball going to Piscataway, NJ or Champagne, IL on a Tuesday for a league game is normal?

I wonder how popular college sports will be on the other side of all of this mess.
Football will continue to be a juggernaut. Everything else “college sports” likely much less.

Count me in the group that is perfectly content with playing in the leftover league. I don't know about you but being tackling dummies for football factories isnt fun. Big deal, Syracuse cashes a 100M TV check, but that doesnt matter when the factories are cashing that same $100M check plus another 100M in donations and other revenue streams.

Put us in a league with the Pitt, BC and ACC leftovers of smaller schools and I'm at peace. It is what it is.

SU, Army, Navy, BC, UCONN, Rutgers, Temple Maryland, Pitt, West Virginia, Cincy, Louisville please.

How this plays out over the next 6-18 months will be REAL interesting, and potentially not in a good way for SU financially. If Wildhack hasn't already been in contact with the B1G, or even SEC, then we are probably in some trouble. ESPN did not care about UCONN so don't expect them to care about SU just because Wildhack has some connections there.

As bad as being left out of the 2 super conferences would be, there is a part of me that really wouldn't mind being in a lesser regional football conference at the expense of not being a "championship" contender for the playoffs. Ideally we get a life raft to the B1G or SEC, but I'll still cheer for Syracuse regardless (my interest elsewhere in CFB would wane though). I'd like to think the biggest football program in NY has value but who knows at this point.

There is also a legitimate possibility the NCAA goes down in flames where all of this shuffling becomes moot. I don't see it as a positive for the sport as a whole though. Riches for the haves and pennies for the have nots.
To me it proves that the programs breaking off really didn’t ever want the NCAA to be a true guardian for amateur collegiate sports. It’s all about money, control and power. Will the playoffs and the old March Madness still be sponsored by the NCAA? Format? How inclusive will it be?

Good luck recruiting in this conference.
If we do that, it's like we have dropped out of the arms race and as a lifelong SU fan, alumnus and donor I am perfectly good with that. Like somebody said, I don’t want to be a tackling dummy for the football factories. Sooner or later you have to admit and realize who you are. Short of dropping down to FCS in football and going back to the Big East for basketball, being part of a lesser conference where we are competitive is good enough for me.

Last edited:
SO what is ESPN doing behind the scenes right now? Their prize is the SEC. Are they now pulling strings to rip apart the best aspects of the ACC to the SEC to make that the better asset as opposed to the Big/Fox?

To me it proves that the programs breaking off really didn’t ever want the NCAA to be a true guardian for amateur collegiate sports. It’s all about money, control and power. Will the playoffs and the old March Madness still be sponsored by the NCAA? Format? How inclusive will it be?
I do wonder where antitrust comes into this. There would seem to be a host of potential plaintiffs among the jilted.

SO what is ESPN doing behind the scenes right now? Their prize is the SEC. Are they now pulling strings to rip apart the best aspects of the ACC to the SEC to make that the better asset as opposed to the Big/Fox?
That's the thing if teams decide to walk away the SEC and Big 10 have enough money to keep the courts from enforcing a GOR forever.
The ACC doesn't have the money to try to enforce it.

I mean those schools didn't win much in that conference. I really don't think the other P12 schools want to travel cross country for all their athletic games. They will regret this and likely pull everything but FB and BB out of that conference.

San Diego State and UNLV/Nevada(Reno) can fill in fine.

Odd for USC to do this when their program was about to peak and be back at its glory days in terms of recruiting for football. Enfield has them as good as they have ever been in hoops as well.

Does espn want 2 leagues it controls or 1 super league. Pac 12 schools being nugged to join the bigten sounds like a fox play to me and a makeup for texas and Oklahoma to the sec

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom