USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 86 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

Looks like Miami hasn't been contacted per this reporter who is tied in with the South Florida Market
No way on Florida State. They don’t have the academic profile that the Big10 requires.

Looks like Miami hasn't been contacted per this reporter who is tied in with the South Florida Market
No, it will be impossible financially. ACC schools literally bring no value to the Big10 or SEC because the grant of rights gives all their TV revenue over to the ACC until 2036.

Duke adds nothing. Just like Kansas adds nothing. These moves are about TV markets.

And UCLA isn’t just a basketball school.

UCLA hasn't been a relevant program in FB since the 80s. That being said I was exaggerating that point.

The moves were about TV markets for conference networks. That has shifted to brands and fan bases. That makes Kansas valuable. Pay attention.

Duke as I said will only make it if UNC uses leverage to have them tag along. They would never make it on their own. Even with the great brand, their fanbase and market are too small.

Last edited:
No way on Florida State. They don’t have the academic profile that the Big10 requires.

IMO the B1G would take FSU to get a stronger foothold into Florida. That more than makes up for the so so academics. And FSU is FSU. It isn't like they are adding WV football.

IMO the B1G would take FSU to get a stronger foothold into Florida. That more than makes up for the so so academics. And FSU is FSU. It isn't like they are adding WV football.
fsu hasnt been fsu for a number of years despite them still beating us almost every year

BE football had it's warts but it was our wart infested mess. We were an insider in the league. After a decade we are still an outsider in the ACC.
Right and every moment in big east was rumors
Of it falling apart. It was never stable. At some point we need to come to grips w the fact we aren’t a needle mover with football or location. Is tethering to nyc is a bit BS marketing.

I hope our port in the storm is geographically based. That’s my entire point. I’m ok w losing this war if it means our peers do too

I know a lot of us live in the past, but absent the AAU membership (which Miami and Nebraska don't have either), FSU actually has a pretty competitive academic program these days. The B1G is going to have to break into the Sunbelt somehow and Florida is the grand prize from a growth/value standpoint. No reason to think FSU isn't a viable candidate.

Last edited:
I know a lot of us live in the past, but absent the AAU membership (which Miami and Nebraska don't have either), they actually have a pretty competitive academic program these days. The B1G is going to have to break into the Sunbelt somehow and Florida is the grand prize from a growth/value standpoint. No reason to think FSU isn't a viable candidate.
Miami and or FSU are on the move. The ultimate free agents will get their prize. UM is a much better academic school than SU at this point too. We are close to 70% admission rate. That’s worse than Louisville.

We screwed up our academics so much and never got better in football. Such a strange era for the university

Right and every moment in big east was rumors
Of it falling apart. It was never stable. At some point we need to come to grips w the fact we aren’t a needle mover with football or location. Is tethering to nyc is a bit BS marketing.

I hope our port in the storm is geographically based. That’s my entire point. I’m ok w losing this war if it means our peers do too

Moving to the ACC was by no means wrong. The problem is simply that most of the ACC schools, and particularly those in the Northeast, are supported by alumni and fans that tend to care about things other than college football.

The trends have been plain to see since nearly the time we joined. The ACC had to go out and get Notre Dame to commit and Texas in order to be viable. When the SEC moved its footprint into Texas, that was the beginning of the end for the ACC. The GOR stays the execution, but its coming (assuming college football even exists by then).

Moving to the ACC was by no means wrong. The problem is simply that most of the ACC schools, and particularly those in the Northeast, are supported by alumni and fans that tend to care about things other than college football.

The trends have been plain to see since nearly the time we joined. The ACC had to go out and get Notre Dame to commit and Texas in order to be viable. When the SEC moved its footprint into Texas, that was the beginning of the end for the ACC. The GOR stays the execution, but its coming (assuming college football even exists by then).
Agreed and ND is helping w the stay as well. They do nothing and it may stem the tide for us. But our days as a major conf player in football are over at some point. Only possible wildcard is Congress and senate and not sure Liz warren or gildebrand will go to the mattress for college football

Never was wrong. It was the only financial decision we could make. As I’ve said ad nauseum, decisions based purely on money tend to not work very long term.

Agreed and ND is helping w the stay as well. They do nothing and it may stem the tide for us. But our days as a major conf player in football are over at some point. Only possible wildcard is Congress and senate and not sure Liz warren or gildebrand will go to the mattress for college football

Never was wrong. It was the only financial decision we could make. As I’ve said ad nauseum, decisions based purely on money tend to not work very long term.
It depends on whos decisions you're talking about. Decisions based on money have worked out pretty well for the SEC and B1G. Sometimes it's about taking advantage of what situation your in or decision you've made. With the way football has fallen flat on its face and more recently basketball, we haven't taken advantage.

Miami and or FSU are on the move. The ultimate free agents will get their prize. UM is a much better academic school than SU at this point too. We are close to 70% admission rate. That’s worse than Louisville.

We screwed up our academics so much and never got better in football. Such a strange era for the university

44% acceptance rate.

It depends on whos decisions you're talking about. Decisions based on money have worked out pretty well for the SEC and B1G. Sometimes it's about taking advantage of what situation your in or decision you've made. With the way football has fallen flat on its face and more recently basketball, we haven't taken advantage.
Of course it’s working out for the SEC and B1G. There’s no one looking out for what’s best for CFB, so they looked out for themselves. As with all things naked capitalism, they might be kings of something they destroyed.

I think the Big10 really wants the University of Florida, which is academically superior and the state flagship. Not sure if they can pry them away from the SEC but I think they’ll try.

Last edited:
SU, Vandy, Duke, BC, Kansas, Wake and the like eventually end up in a football/hoops conference together when the decision is made they can't/won't be part of the big boys football club.

SU, Vandy, Duke, BC, Kansas, Wake and the like eventually end up in a football/hoops conference together when the decision is made they can't/won't be part of the big boys football club.
Isn’t Vandy already in the promised land? Would they be booted?

UCLA hasn't been a relevant program in FB since the 80s. That being said I was exaggerating that point.

The moves were about TV markets for conference networks. That has shifted to brands and fan bases. That makes Kansas valuable. Pay attention.

Duke as I said will only make it if UNC uses leverage to have them tag along. They would never make it on their own. Even with the great brand, their fanbase and market are too small.
You’re still exaggerating about UCLA.

Oh, I am paying attention. Not sure you are and not sure what you’re talking about regarding a shift to brands and fan bases. You think the B1G added USC and UCLA for the fan bases? What? They added them for the LA market.

Kansas adds no value. If you attempt to compare them to Texas and Oklahoma in your reply, rest assured I will no longer take you seriously.

You’re still exaggerating about UCLA.

Oh, I am paying attention. Not sure you are and not sure what you’re talking about regarding a shift to brands and fan bases. You think the B1G added USC and UCLA for the fan bases? What? They added them for the LA market.

Kansas adds no value. If you attempt to compare them to Texas and Oklahoma in your reply, rest assured I will no longer take you seriously.

Kansas isn't valuable, at least they weren't before the USC / UCLA move. Put that in ink.

i stand corrected. it was 69% in 2021. Thx Bees. I just saw that. Good uptick for SU.
Jeez Louise that sounds so bad, but is this the trend nationwide? Way less college aged kids and schools needing to stay afloat, no?

44% acceptance rate.

This isn’t a gotcha thing, but when I applied and got in my senior year of HS (97/98), I could have sworn we were ranked 38th, basically tied with BC (believe BU was around that same ranking). When I started the next year I think we were 41st.

Any shot you know the general acceptance rate back then?

VPI isn't even close to being similar. For example, Oregon State football is dead. There is no saving it. What Oregon politician would block Oregon from jumping onto a life boat? That would be political suicide. What politician would want to be known as the one blocking Oregon and causing their program to die as well? Good luck getting reelected on that.

You think someone is going to lose an election b/c of PAC 10 football lol. That conference is worse than the ACC, their two biggest teams just left and the conference as a whole is barely watched. Nobody is losing an election over this.

This isn’t a gotcha thing, but when I applied and got in my senior year of HS (97/98), I could have sworn we were ranked 38th, basically tied with BC (believe BU was around that same ranking). When I started the next year I think we were 41st.

Any shot you know the general acceptance rate back then?

97/98? I think it was 99.9%. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom