USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 92 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

A couple of questions…
How is everyone so on-board with a 12-team playoff all of a sudden? Wasn’t the reason against a playoff that kids needed the school time, and the demands of an extended playoff would take away from their academic commitments?

Also, wasn’t the whole idea of NIL to create the opportunity for players to share in the wealth of CFB and CBB because the schools were making so much? How did that turn into fans and supporters forking over ever more money?

Anecdotal, but the SEC is not worried about realignment. You barely here is as a topic of conversation down here.

And the SEC has the south locked up. Who are you proposing they add?
No one heard about Texas and Oklahoma going to the SEC until it happened either, they like stealth, it's southern SOP. The other aspect of this is Miami, FSU and Clemson as well as several other ACC teams would be invited into the B1G or the SEC if the GOR wasn't stopping them. If you think they are going to lose a BILLION dollars over the next decade because of that and hobble their programs, you would be wrong. Without those programs ACC football and the ACC doesn't exist. They will do whatever they have to. It will get messy.

I believe the B1G schools each own 1/15 of the B1G (less the 50% stake Fox owns). Those shares are worth a lot of money and are a road block that would make it expensive to boot a school out of the conference.

Except for Rutgers, who has borrowed so much money against its stake that it would be no problem to kick them out. They would still owe money in that situation. Rutgers is a very special school.
research, research, 14.5% of budget is listed as federal research and sponsored grants. trying to review the budget reports it appears that may be in the neighborhood 480m. the total research expenditures are 700m from all sources including the state . this info is on the rutgers budget site .
it is some what hard to interpret ,needless to say .
i only point this out for two reasons 1. that would be a major consideration for admission to the big 10, or dismissal from the big 10.
2. to emphasize the need for us to grow in the area of research/ in this day and age . we need to grow in the direction research as we are stagnate.and not growing. i no longer care about acc, big 10 or any other sports designation as , for me, college sports is defined by the smaller conferences.
sorry for being so long winded. i would like su to be a major player and not just for sports.

No one heard about Texas and Oklahoma going to the SEC until it happened either, they like stealth, it's southern SOP. The other aspect of this is Miami, FSU and Clemson as well as several other ACC teams would be invited into the B1G or the SEC if the GOR wasn't stopping them. If you think they are going to lose a BILLION dollars over the next decade because of that and hobble their programs, you would be wrong. Without those programs ACC football and the ACC doesn't exist. They will do whatever they have to. It will get messy.
I could be wrong, but it seems like the obvious first step is Notre Dame. ND publicly came out and said they’re looking for $75M of value per year. I imagine the SEC (among other conferences/schools) are reaching out to see if they can hash out an agreement (probably similar to NDs agreement with the ACC) as ND likely can’t get their with their current scheduling arrangement with the ACC alone

Last edited:
The B1G is forcing the action. The B1G went out and took USC/UCLA effectively destroying the PAC. The B1G are the ones who said they're not done and threw out Miami and FSU as options. Do you think the SEC is going to allow the B1G to infringe on their territory? The SEC wants the south all to themselves, and what I'm saying is that could really work in SU's favor and would almost guarantee them a spot in the B1G. I hope.
The Bigten has said there done for now unless ND is joining so unless ND wants to change nothing is going to happen for a bit at least

The Bigten has said there done for now unless ND is joining so unless ND wants to change nothing is going to happen for a bit at least
Warren just said they are looking. They can't have USC/UCLA hanging out there, they need to complete their west coast division or UCLA might get bullied back into the PAC.

Do we know this is true? Or an urban legend?
The vote would be to disband the league and I am fairly certain it is more than a simple majority that is needed. Immediately after the announcement of the B1G expansion into LA there was significant concern about the immeidate future of the ACC. Once the GOR was reviewed in detail by legal teams that concern dissipated, at least in the near term. It will be very difficult for any team to but a financial case together that supports leaving the conference before early next decade.

Long term we will be no better off. 25 years from now we will be where we will be. Short term we are better off from the GOR, assuming we get left out of the B1G or SEC.

If we are to be left behind, I rather see SU get $200M today and $12M per year over the next 12 years than get $30M a year over the next 12 years.
For men of a certain age, 10 years is most certainly long term. And keep in mind GOR and broadcast contracts are two separate deals. There will be opportunities to renegotiate broadcast contracts (say streaming) without impacting GOR.

Warren just said they are looking. They can't have USC/UCLA hanging out there, they need to complete their west coast division or UCLA might get bullied back into the PAC.
looking doesnt mean acting , they have until 2024 to get the western division teams added

the \horse is out of the barn there is no chance ucla is forced back to the pac 10

Off topic but ucla and jordan brand agree to six year deal worth 46.5 million. Not sure if anyone has seen that but I would give anything to be a jordan school at cuse. I know I have stated it before, but the impact on kids and recruiting and brand recognition is monumental. Can’t believe Melo hasnt pushed for this...

Brand with Luka and Zion isn’t a bad bet.

For men of a certain age, 10 years is most certainly long term. And keep in mind GOR and broadcast contracts are two separate deals. There will be opportunities to renegotiate broadcast contracts (say streaming) without impacting GOR.
For those of us who don’t buy green bananas, 10 years is a lifetime.

For those of us who don’t buy green bananas, 10 years is a lifetime.
Old Lady Reaction GIF

The B1G is forcing the action. The B1G went out and took USC/UCLA effectively destroying the PAC. The B1G are the ones who said they're not done and threw out Miami and FSU as options. Do you think the SEC is going to allow the B1G to infringe on their territory? The SEC wants the south all to themselves, and what I'm saying is that could really work in SU's favor and would almost guarantee them a spot in the B1G. I hope.
I don’t ever see the Big Ten expanding to the northeast. I don’t think they need to with Penn State and Notre Dame domining viewers in that region. If the big 10 expands I think it’ll be more PAC schools like Colorado Arizona Utah Oregon Washington Stanford

I don’t ever see the Big Ten expanding to the northeast. I don’t think they need to with Penn State and Notre Dame domining viewers in that region. If the big 10 expands I think it’ll be more PAC schools like Colorado Arizona Utah Oregon Washington Stanford
They can now, nothing is stopping them. Do they just want to see the PAC teams squirm and grovel for a while after they destroyed their conference?

keep your eye on pitt and bc.. nd would be big 10 all the way. you make a very good point

Re: B1G designs on the PAC:

Grabbing USC and UCLA has already crippled that league. If the remaining schools do not add to the bottom line, why add them?

Long term we will be no better off. 25 years from now we will be where we will be. Short term we are better off from the GOR, assuming we get left out of the B1G or SEC.

If we are to be left behind, I rather see SU get $200M today and $12M per year over the next 12 years than get $30M a year over the next 12 years.
Where does this $200M come from?

I'm not sure of the league rules. I'm not saying the vote is to dissolve the league, I'm saying the vote would be to rescind the GOR. I could see the SEC offering Miami, FSU, GTECH, Clemson, UNC, Duke, UVA and VTech. That would be almost all the old ACC save Wake and NCST. It would lock up their region permanently.
The problem with (say) 8 teams leaving the ACC at the same time. What if the SEC wants only 2 or 4 of them? What happens to the left-behinds?

Would the SEC have secretly promised a slot for all 8? I'm no lawyer, but I can't imagine such a deal standing up in court. It's one thing for a couple of teams--UCLA/USC or SU/Pitt--to break away. Quite another for a mass exit to destroy a whole conference. "Tortious interference"?

Several media outlets have examined this assertion and found it to be false.
If 8 schools have an invite to leave, they can vote the GOR is null and void.

Our goose is probably cooked, just a matter of when and not if
The Big10 and SEC want no part of a GOR legal battle. They’ve said as much. They’ll just wait it out and plan to announce an expansion in another 10-12 years when the GOR is nearing expiration.

Off topic but ucla and jordan brand agree to six year deal worth 46.5 million. Not sure if anyone has seen that but I would give anything to be a jordan school at cuse. I know I have stated it before, but the impact on kids and recruiting and brand recognition is monumental. Can’t believe Melo hasnt pushed for this...
The Jordan brand deal came after Under Armour voided their blockbuster $280 million deal and UCLA athletic department started bleeding red ink. The Jordan brand deal is less than half of what they were getting with UA. It created a huge hole in their athletic department budget, they were gonna be forced to cut lots of Olympic sports, and is part of what spurred them to pursue membership in the Big 10.

Last edited:
Then what will end up being the status quo in the ACC is that the teams that founded the conference, who are almost all desired candidates to go to the SEC or the B1G, will be trapped in the ACC and have to watch their programs get surpassed and become irrelevant over the next 10 years. That's going to make for a highly contentious situation. There is upwards of a billion dollars at stake for those schools over that time period, there must be a slew of high priced lawyers hatching schemes right now..

Then what will end up being the status quo in the ACC is that the teams that founded the conference, who are almost all desired candidates to go to the SEC or the B1G, will be trapped in the ACC and have to watch their programs get surpassed and become irrelevant over the next 10 years. That's going to make for a highly contentious situation. There is upwards of a billion dollars at stake for those schools over that time period, there must be a slew of high priced lawyers hatching schemes right now..
This will be determined later most likely after the Big ten and Pac deals are inked