USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 90 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

Agree. They might be concerned the ACC is going to grab them, strengthen into the solid third best conference and block their ability to expand further west should ND give them the cold shoulder.

ND, please give them the cold shoulder. ;)

It comes down to what ESPN wants to do. If they provide the money to make adding some of the P12 teams into the ACC make sense financially for the current ACC schools and the P12 schools joining, it will happen.

I don't think there is any way this is happening unless the ACC schools get a significant increase in revenue for doing it.

Could ESPN do this at least in part to just screw with the B1G?

Yes, I think so.
We need to hope that Wildhack has some incriminating pictures of the current ESPN leadership

It's kind of old now (July 6), but I saw an interview where one of the ACC insiders (Tony Siracusa) said there is a competitive revenue clause in the GOR that could be an out for some of the schools.
Sounds like the Cleveland lease in Major League that Rachel Phelps was trying to exploit

Seems like they miscalculated. And a 20 year deal is a long long time. If they didn’t think there would be changes over 20 years, I don’t know what to say.
a 20 year deal seemed a little stupid then and has proven to be so now.

although, i dont think anyone saw the b1g taking usc & ucla.

i always figured it would be 4 x something, not just the 16 you preach, and it would be the bevo that would be divvied up.

annexing LA, changed the game.

I think it's reasonable to assume the majority can do as they please.
I can't believe that. The GOR was put in for a reason. To save the league. It was done by professionals. ESPN just wrote that schools have had their lawyers looking at it to see if there is any way to break it. So far, no one has left the league.

I think it's reasonable to assume the majority can do as they please.
Not always. Just ask any Democrat in congress or the senate.
Actually most major corporations use a two thirds for major moves

In this era, I don't think anyone cares about the academic angle.

But Northwestern pulls its own weight on the football field, much moreso than Vandy.

They've been competitive, invested in their program, and found the perfect coach for life, assuming he doesn't get an NFL itch that someone wants to scratch.
I thought Marrone was going to be our Fitzgerald. I was just a wee bit off on that one

I can't believe that. The GOR was put in for a reason. To save the league. It was done by professionals. ESPN just wrote that schools have had their lawyers looking at it to see if there is any way to break it. So far, no one has left the league.
Not always. Just ask any Democrat in congress or the senate.
Actually most major corporations use a two thirds for major moves
Just going by things I've read. It doesn't seem to be deterring the B1G commissioner from making leading comments, which I don't think he would be making with no basis.

it was a professional job all right.

1 party of 1, has the other party of 14 over a barrel...while they try to figure out how to make themselves even stronger as they stand by the GOR while theyre destroying the party of 14 by potentially moving them around like valuable chess pieces as the pawns are sacrificed.

love me some GOR.

it was a professional job all right.

1 party of 1, has the other party of 14 over a barrel...while they try to figure out how to make themselves even stronger as they stand by the GOR while theyre destroying the party of 14 by potentially moving them around like valuable chess pieces as the pawns are sacrificed.

love me some GOR.
You must have missed the espn article on this. Or that no one has left. And what 14 have been destroyed?

UEO I understand that you don't like the GOR but without it how do you think SU would make out?

It isn't a lifetime thing. We will end up where we end up. Delaying the inevitable for 10 years does nothing for SU long term.

It isn't a lifetime thing. We will end up where we end up. Delaying the inevitable for 10 years does nothing for SU long term.
I think the GOR expires in 2036, so actually 14 years. Hopefully we’ll be better in both football and basketball by then. We aren’t living up to our potential in either sport right now.

If 8 schools have an invite to leave, they can vote the GOR is null and void.

I think a 3/4 vote is actually needed to dissolve the ACC, so 12 out of 15 schools. (Or 11 out of 14 schools if Notre Dame doesn’t have a vote.)

Last edited:
Well it gives teams like SU a chance to start winning again.

Sure it does, what’s the opportunity cost of 14 years of increased conference payouts as opposed to being in the American conference or independent. Go ask UConn if they would trade places with us knowing that it implodes when the GOR ends in 14 years. They would take it in a heartbeat.

Sure it does, what’s the opportunity cost of 14 years of increased conference payouts as opposed to being in the American conference or independent. Go ask UConn if they would trade places with us knowing that it implodes when the GOR ends in 14 years. They would take it in a heartbeat.

Long term we will be no better off. 25 years from now we will be where we will be. Short term we are better off from the GOR, assuming we get left out of the B1G or SEC.

If we are to be left behind, I rather see SU get $200M today and $12M per year over the next 12 years than get $30M a year over the next 12 years.

I think the GOR expires in 2036, so actually 14 years. Hopefully we’ll be better in both football and basketball by then. We aren’t living up to our potential in either sport right now.

It’s a stay of execution. Be funny if 2036 results in East Indies reformed, a smaller ACC Carolina centric and SEC and BIG dominating as usual.

Money will be an issue but it’s always been an issue if you follow the bags.

It’s a stay of execution. Be funny if 2036 results in East Indies reformed, a smaller ACC Carolina centric and SEC and BIG dominating as usual.

Money will be an issue but it’s always been an issue if you follow the bags.

I agree that the ACC will almost certainly get devoured in 2036. But I’m saying that Syracuse will hopefully be better in the two major sports by then.

Do you seriously think that people would be worried about Syracuse’s conference fate if our football and basketball programs were as strong as they were in 2001?

I agree that the ACC will almost certainly get devoured in 2036. But I’m saying that Syracuse will hopefully be better in the two major sports by then.

Do you seriously think that people would be worried about Syracuse’s conference fate if our football and basketball programs were as strong as they were in 2001?
Well that's part of the flaw in the discussion - people talk as if today is how things will be in perpetuity.

I think a 3/4 vote is actually needed to dissolve the ACC, so 12 out of 15 schools. (Or 11 out of 14 schools if Notre Dame doesn’t have a vote.)
I'm not sure of the league rules. I'm not saying the vote is to dissolve the league, I'm saying the vote would be to rescind the GOR. I could see the SEC offering Miami, FSU, GTECH, Clemson, UNC, Duke, UVA and VTech. That would be almost all the old ACC save Wake and NCST. It would lock up their region permanently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom