USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 99 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

This from Chris Vannini, a writer for The Athletic:

"Anyway, the real issue tearing apart college sports isn't NIL or transfers. It's the rich wanting to get richer and the consultants telling them to leave everyone else behind. Same as it is in every business."

Cuts right to the quick.
College football doesn’t exist without a north east or the other lesser ran schools. College football will become the movie industry…full of marvel and Star Wars crap only.

It isn’t a sustainable path. Of course that is what is happening

The US owners are buying into the EPL b/c that NFL delta will continue to shrink. If the US can somehow figure out a way to tie the MLS into the English soccer league I feel like the unlock could happen quicker. On its own the Premier League is catching up quickly. Reason why Boehly bought Chelsea so aggressively.

The top leagues have always been cyclical the EPL just has the benefit of shared common language with the USA. EPL is on a good run relative to other Euro leagues but its not a given the best teams are English.

MLS poses no threats because CONCACAF is boring and that is all the international club matches we get. If there was a equivalent to the Champions League with South American teams and if there was a North/South American equivalent to the Euros I think it would rapidly gain popularity. USA hosted it once and Giants Stadium was sold out. But we get force fed garbage and the same boring matchups against El Salvador, Mexico, CR etc with club games worse. They just have to tie it into South America not Europe.

Promotion and relegation and having to qualify for Europe isn't going anywhere they can't have farm clubs in the US. They wanted that and tried with the Super League but it blew up in their face. Even if a big club went down they'd end up bouncing back.

The B1G is in a bit of a fix. They thought that if they procured USC, Notre Dame was sure to join. That doesn't appear to be very likely, which throws a big wrench into their plan. In addition to that problem, the Cal BOR is going to make it impossible for UCLA to join the B1G unless Berkeley gets in too. I can't imagine the B1G wanted Berkeley as their sports brand is almost nonexistent. So now if they take Berkeley they will have to have 6 west coast teams which makes it impossible to have reasonable divisions. I don't think their plan is going very smoothly.

The Cal BOR can't do anything. As I understand it, the Cal BOR does not have oversight of the athletic departments.

Cal and Stanford will really bring the level of play down in the Big Ten.

Its like adding BC and having to take Umass. Noone cares about CFB in the Bay Area. USC and UCLA have more fans than those two.

The Cal BOR can't do anything. As I understand it, the Cal BOR does not have oversight of the athletic departments.
How are monies disbursed in the California system? Berkeley is very powerful politically in California.

College football doesn’t exist without a north east or the other lesser ran schools. College football will become the movie industry…full of marvel and Star Wars crap only.

Yea but the hilarious thing is that there has to be a loser if there’s gonna be a winner , these fanbases needa think of what they are wishing for because those 10 win seasons for a lot of those teams are gonna dwindle quick.

Yea but the hilarious thing is that there has to be a loser if there’s gonna be a winner , these fanbases needa think of what they are wishing for because those 10 win seasons for a lot of those teams are gonna dwindle quick.
Right. Ultimately as I’ve said 100x the wrong school gets left out with the right senator or congressman who can make a real stink in congress over the anti trust aspect of this.

Colleges are non profit per us laws. That can change as well.

Notre Dame is going to the B10 and that’s almost guaranteed with the newest media rights deal….

There’s a reason Peacock and NBC are now getting b10 games when they used to be exclusive to only Notre Dame….

I think the Vannini guy has been led to see what should have been obvious to him: the insatiable greed of BT and SEC (and ND), which requires them to be ready to destroy everything and everyone and then leave behind the impoverished.

And TV networks also act that way, as do movie studios. So there is no meaningful thought about what is good for the game. There is only a drive to amass more wealth by the richest handful.

Notre Dame is going to the B10 and that’s almost guaranteed with the newest media rights deal….

There’s a reason Peacock and NBC are now getting b10 games when they used to be exclusive to only Notre Dame….
The last article I read on the subject said that as condition for paying ND(60 to 70 mil per year) more they wanted to add a second weekly game to. But it is likely to happen sooner rather than later in the next several years and when it does happen the acc will be collecting the monies from them

Without the GOR SU would be out of luck.

it's a stay of execution IMO.

When teams start to figure out the finances of leaving the GOR with the penalty vs staying in the ACC, that will begin the end for Syracuse in a major conference. Football will remain in some form but we'll be something much lesser than what we are now. I can envision us playing SEC/BIG teams as a warmup act for their regular season. Kinda pathetic from what i remember SU Football in the 90s but that'll be the reality of it. Plenty of "pay us x money to come to the Big House to get our *ss kicked" type deals

When teams start to figure out the finances of leaving the GOR with the penalty vs staying in the ACC, that will begin the end for Syracuse in a major conference. Football will remain in some form but we'll be something much lesser than what we are now. I can envision us playing SEC/BIG teams as a warmup act for their regular season. Kinda pathetic from what i remember SU Football in the 90s but that'll be the reality of it. Plenty of "pay us x money to come to the Big House to get our *ss kicked" type deals

If I’m not mistaken the GOR says something like if the schools switch conferences, they have to pay the ACC all of the profits they get from whatever conference they switch to until 2030 something or something along those lines.

The GOR the ACC put in place is pretty solid and was designed to stop schools from leaving which is great for now

But the ACC needs to be proactive

If I’m not mistaken the GOR says something like if the schools switch conferences, they have to pay the ACC all of the profits they get from whatever conference they switch to until 2030 something or something along those lines.

The GOR the ACC put in place is pretty solid and was designed to stop schools from leaving which is great for now

But the ACC needs to be proactive

I hope it’s punitive to that but it’s just preventing teams from going elsewhere. Not a good model long term w the way these conferences are configured

It’s a stay absent Congress getting involved

Meh. Maybe so, maybe not. Too definitive of a take given the unknowns. If it’s truly two big conferences (ESPN v Fox/Networks) sure? But lots of big money streamers need live content and this stuff continues to shift

The GOR helps keep the status quo and gives ACC teams a bit of time to sort

I think the Vannini guy has been led to see what should have been obvious to him: the insatiable greed of BT and SEC (and ND), which requires them to be ready to destroy everything and everyone and then leave behind the impoverished.

And TV networks also act that way, as do movie studios. So there is no meaningful thought about what is good for the game. There is only a drive to amass more wealth by the richest handful.

It's the American way. According to August '21 data, the top 10% maintain 70% of U.S. net worth.

Meh. Maybe so, maybe not. Too definitive of a take given the unknowns. If it’s truly two big conferences (ESPN v Fox/Networks) sure? But lots of big money streamers need live content and this stuff continues to shift

The GOR helps keep the status quo and gives ACC teams a bit of time to sort

I completely agree. I'm opining on a board where we make wild/hot take predictions. I hope i'm deliriously wrong.

I do think 100% of the ACC would leave right now for the BIG or SEC. That's not a good long term model because the financial reward is in those conferences. It feels like the Big East btw the exit of BC and us getting an invitation. We never were all in because we wanted to be financially set.

Money will dictate everything absent the all powerful govt putting a stop to it.

I completely agree. I'm opining on a board where we make wild/hot take predictions. I hope i'm deliriously wrong.

I do think 100% of the ACC would leave right now for the BIG or SEC. That's not a good long term model because the financial reward is in those conferences. It feels like the Big East btw the exit of BC and us getting an invitation. We never were all in because we wanted to be financially set.

Money will dictate everything absent the all powerful govt putting a stop to it.
Yeah - agreed. As of right now, looks like a 2 conference separation. I just don’t think that’s good for the sport or all that viable long term.

We’ll see

Yeah - agreed. As of right now, looks like a 2 conference separation. I just don’t think that’s good for the sport or all that viable long term.

We’ll see
When they lose their tax status, which will happen, the government needs the money, and the federal government will get involved.

The honest question here is...if you have freakin' attendance concerns about Game 1 with a Heisman RB in the mix...nevermind...

I wonder if this is a way for ESPN to get Texas and Oklahoma early. They give a decent offer and in return those schools are released.

I just responded to this in your other post, this is what some reporters on twitter have been hypothesizing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom