USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 98 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

ND, Stanford, Syracuse, and Pitt/UVA/UNC...(pick 2, drop Rutgers).

Besides an overpaid body bag game, nobody in the B1G has figured out what a "Rutgers" is, not that anyone else has, either.
They will add the out west teams if they do anything
No one is being dropped

No one is being dropped
Cal board of regents forcing the B1G hand, either take Berkeley or they will scuttle UCLA. Warren made it sound like they are going to 20.

No one is being dropped
The remaining western teams add nothing, the networks already verified that. Taking Stanford with ND is an acceptable cost to get ND. Future B1G expansion will focus on the east coast.

The comment about dropping Rutgers was in jest, but if you want to take it seriously, go for it.

The Big has eyes on NC Florida. Long term NC and Miami are targets.
ND and Stanford would complete the 4.

If the B1G takes Stanford, Cal, and UW, Utah, Colorado, Zona and ASU will go to the Big12. Does ESPN go after the Big12 then?

Cal board of regents forcing the B1G hand, either take Berkeley or they will scuttle UCLA. Warren made it sound like they are going to 20.
There are a few things that could happen

There might just be a payoff by UCLA to get out of any obligation if that would be acceptable

Or, the big ten might be forced to take Cal, which was under consideration anyway

Finally, it might be found that UCLA has some legal ground to leave and has an advantage in court, and UCLA starts with fighting any obstruction to leaving in court

The Big has eyes on NC Florida. Long term NC and Miami are targets.
ND and Stanford would complete the 4.
It makes more sense for the big ten to add western teams to accompany UCLA and USC
Doubtful NC and Fla Miami are in play
anymore, if they were at all

There are a few things that could happen

There might just be a payoff by UCLA to get out of any obligation if that would be acceptable

Or, the big ten might be forced to take Cal, which was under consideration anyway

Finally, it might be found that UCLA has some legal ground to leave and has an advantage in court, and UCLA starts with fighting any obstruction to leaving in court
UCLA's biggest obstacle in trying to move to the B1G is the California Board of Regents, not the Pac 12. No lawsuit is going to change that. The only way they will be "bought off" is for Cal to get a significant piece of the action.

UCLA's biggest obstacle in trying to move to the B1G is the California Board of Regents, not the Pac 12. No lawsuit is going to change that. The only way they will be "bought off" is for Cal to get a significant piece of the action.
Money and politicians involved now. B1G is boxed in.

Agreed. With UCLA finishing their current obligation, the PAC has no leverage or claim in the courts.

With the B1G TV deal in the books, the issue is now a multi-state issue (interstate commerce, Commerce Clause), thus federal courts will have a say, as opposed to California courts only. The time for the Board of Regents to act has now passed, at the very least they would have had to raise a general opposition to the move knowing UCLA and the B1G were negotiating in good faith with TV partners. Furthermore, the B1G is more likely to file in Indiana, a more favorable jurisdiction, than California.

That leaves the potential to "buy-off" the Board or Regents. It seems we will have to wait for the west coast version of an "offer to good to refuse" presented by the BoR to UCLA. Any insight? Really good or cool rumors?

Interesting development. SEC is all of a sudden interested in 9 conference games when Texas and Oklahoma come aboard. I say interesting because SEC has never been interested in this until just recently when ESPN lost Big 10 content. I wonder if SEC does this to give ESPN more content, and in turn get closer to the deal Big 10 just signed. More content, change in contract, new deal.

Interesting development. SEC is all of a sudden interested in 9 conference games when Texas and Oklahoma come aboard. I say interesting because SEC has never been interested in this until just recently when ESPN lost Big 10 content. I wonder if SEC does this to give ESPN more content, and in turn get closer to the deal Big 10 just signed. More content, change in contract, new deal.
9 games is very easy to schedule. The "traditional" schedule for 16 teams was pods of 4 that worked similar to the NFL schedule - every year you play everyone in your pod (3 games), you played everyone in an permanent horizontal line (3 games), and the remaining teams in a rotating pod (3 games) (3+3+3=9). The permanent horizontal line teams could be used to preserve rivalries like Georgia-Auburn and Alabama-Tennessee, because I see Georgia in a pod with SCAR, Florida, and Kentucky and the 2 Alabama and 2 Mississippi schools in another pod..

Pure guesswork on pods:
1. Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi, Mississippi State
2. Tennessee, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Oklahoma
3. Florida, Georgia, SCAR, Kentucky
4. LSU, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Texas

9 games is very easy to schedule. The "traditional" schedule for 16 teams was pods of 4 that worked similar to the NFL schedule - every year you play everyone in your pod (3 games), you played everyone in an permanent horizontal line (3 games), and the remaining teams in a rotating pod (3 games) (3+3+3=9). The permanent horizontal line teams could be used to preserve rivalries like Georgia-Auburn and Alabama-Tennessee, because I see Georgia in a pod with SCAR, Florida, and Kentucky and the 2 Alabama and 2 Mississippi schools in another pod..

Pure guesswork on pods:
1. Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi, Mississippi State
2. Tennessee, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Oklahoma
3. Florida, Georgia, SCAR, Kentucky
4. LSU, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Texas

Yes, but it’s funny how this all becomes a thing 3 days after Big 10 announce a record setting media deal. I don’t think it is coincidence. Not like there was a sec get together or meeting this week. Just happened to drop today

Quoting the OP here, because every time I see this thread, I think WTAF. All parties involved should be ashamed of themselves, period, end of story, inarguable. At some point you broaden a concept enough to make it internally inconsistent and meaningless.

"For ThEbIg1?? [...] it profit a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. . . but for ThEbIg1?!"

Yes, but it’s funny how this all becomes a thing 3 days after Big 10 announce a record setting media deal. I don’t think it is coincidence. Not like there was a sec get together or meeting this week. Just happened to drop today
Yes, the announcement was made under very, very fishy circumstances, but they were probably going to have 9 games all along.

Quoting the OP here, because every time I see this thread, I think WTAF. All parties involved should be ashamed of themselves, period, end of story, inarguable. At some point you broaden a concept enough to make it internally inconsistent and meaningless.

"For ThEbIg1?? [...] it profit a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. . . but for ThEbIg1?!"
The more madness there is the better in my opinion (for SU anyway) . Shows everything is all a bunch of chit and the chips will always land where they fall. This is all just pushing money around that has already always existed.

Well dude, we just don’t know.
The Big Lebowski Brandt GIF

possibly but an outside shot. We might get in if we agreed to a reduced amount.

The B1G is in a bit of a fix. They thought that if they procured USC, Notre Dame was sure to join. That doesn't appear to be very likely, which throws a big wrench into their plan. In addition to that problem, the Cal BOR is going to make it impossible for UCLA to join the B1G unless Berkeley gets in too. I can't imagine the B1G wanted Berkeley as their sports brand is almost nonexistent. So now if they take Berkeley they will have to have 6 west coast teams which makes it impossible to have reasonable divisions. I don't think their plan is going very smoothly.

This from Chris Vannini, a writer for The Athletic:

"Anyway, the real issue tearing apart college sports isn't NIL or transfers. It's the rich wanting to get richer and the consultants telling them to leave everyone else behind. Same as it is in every business."

Cuts right to the quick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom