USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

Just for yuks: ACC should propose adding ND, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, BYU and Baylor.

Have a Private School Division (Cuse, BC, WF, Duke, Miami, Louisville, ND, Stanford, BYU and Baylor) and a Public School Division (Va, VT, NC, NCS, Clemson, Florida State, GT, Pitt, Oregon, and Washington), each with 10 schools.

Play 5 games in your own division and 5 games in other division each year. Go to a 13 game schedule which leaves 3 out-of-conference games each year. New eyeballs in Texas, Cali, Oregon, Washington, and Utah.

As to BYU and Baylor, politics make strange bedfellows.
The NCAA limits D-1 to 12 regular season games.

After reading the quote that the Big Ten is standing pat with Oregon and Washington and waiting on Notre Dame, I think it’s possible the Big Ten has given Notre Dame the option to join the conference and to add 3 of its own PAC schools. Does anyone think this is feasible? If so, which 3 PAC schools would ND prefer? I’d go with Stanford, Oregon and Washington
In other words the same programs the B10 would have chosen anyway?

What other FBS programs are closer to NYC besides Rutgers? Penn State and UConn are around the same as Cuse. But we draw many many students from the city and LI.
Maryland and Boston College along with Penn State are all roughly the same distance from NYC as Syracuse. UConn, Rutgers and Army are closer. But I don’t think it really matters

Syracuse joining the Big Ten was a discussion point going way, way back. Interestingly the one time JB was said to be considering leaving SU was for The Ohio State University.
Decided to stay and told OSU to hire Gary Williams, which they did. I think the Buckeyes had some good years under Gary

1656730393696.png

Huh? That was 11 years ago. Not 40. I’m saying the ACC wanted to finish expanding northward and was focused on SU and UConn. BC was still mad at UConn and didn’t want another competitor in New England and Gross and the BC AD and some others advanced Pitt instead. I’m talking about the expansion that sent us to the ACC. That news broke in Sept. 2011.
I thought you were talking about the origjnal Big East. My bad.

You never give up money in business without getting something in return. Business 101
Tell that to the Yankees, they are giving Joey Gallo and Aaron Hicks millions for nothing.

About right. I'd put us ahead of a few of those Athletic Departments they listed ahead of us, And some behind us would probably be ahead of us as well.

Puts us top 48

Really important to get 8 wins in football, sweet sixteen or further in hoops and back to final four in lax this year

Last edited:
That’s pretty interesting. It sorta looks like ND can afford to leave. But I’m not sure anyone else can.

Maybe the ACC’s best move is to do nothing.

Maybe I’m wrong.

What other FBS programs are closer to NYC besides Rutgers? Penn State and UConn are around the same as Cuse. But we draw many many students from the city and LI.
The fastest route by car from Syracuse to NYC is a few minutes under 4 hours.

Maryland - fastest route a half hour faster

Boston College - fastest route a half hour faster

Penn St - fastest route 10 minutes faster

Rutgers - fastest route 3+ hours faster

UCONN and Army are both over an hour closer but I wasn’t really thinking about them.

So it’s really not a question of who is closer by car, it’s who isn’t. And regionally that’s Pitt and about it.

If you’re looking at this long term and thinking about market and proximity to NYC, this is why Rutgers always made more sense irrespective of history. Same with Maryland. Maryland is as close to NYC as Syracuse is but it’s also a hell of a lot closer to other major metropolitan areas as well. B1G was always looking at the long play with those two schools.

I wonder what the odds are that over the next 5 years or so, two super conferences form, the in another 10 years or so, everyone thinks they suck, and we go back to normal conferences again
I think that will be the case but there will be around $100-120m reasons why they never do. Even if the ACC by some miracle continues to exist as a top level conference. They need a much better tv deal other wise we are getting quadrupled money wise and those schools continue to pull further away

Eventually the media money bubble is going to pop though
I will push back on this. The media money bubble isn't going to pop. While everything is moving to on-demand SPORTS (all sports) is on-demand proof. Which makes it the golden goose for Advertisers. It's the last place Advertisers can go to sell a product with commercials.

TV Deals for Formula 1, NHL, and other sports with small ratings are getting overpaid in recent TV deals. Pro Wrestling (while not a sport but is lumped together with sports because of its live sports-like nature) broke the bank 5 years ago and are looking HUGE increases with their next contract in about a year with numerous bidders. The NFL Sunday Ticket is getting almost double on the open market with offers than what DirecTV was paying. MLB was able to bring in Apple, the NFL brought in Amazon. The money for sports is silly with these TV deals.

In a world where everything is on-demand Sports isn't and will never be. This bubble isn't going to pop, it's the reason why college sports is what it is. The money train has taken off in college football in regards to TV deals and it has no plans of stopping.

That’s pretty interesting. It sorta looks like ND can afford to leave. But I’m not sure anyone else can.

Maybe the ACC’s best move is to do nothing.

Maybe I’m wrong.
Honestly if the ACC isn’t on a full offensive right now there are serious problems. They should have been more aggressive in the past since basically everybody saw this happening some way or another. Right now the only schools I think add value to the conference are Oregon, Washington , Stanford, Utah, OK ST, WVU, and obviously ND. We don’t get at least half of those and we’re screwed, or at least destined to practically be a 2nd division program. In this case the GOR actually ties our hands. We can’t make a move even if we were invited to. Some of the top schools like ND, Clemson, FSU might as well pay the fine and leave they’d be making so much money, but someone like Syracuse is stuck in the ACC until 2036 because of the GOR. By that time everything will be decided.

I will push back on this. The media money bubble isn't going to pop. While everything is moving to on-demand SPORTS (all sports) is on-demand proof. Which makes it the golden goose for Advertisers. It's the last place Advertisers can go to sell a product with commercials.

TV Deals for Formula 1, NHL, and other sports with small ratings are getting overpaid in recent TV deals. Pro Wrestling (while not a sport but is lumped together with sports because of its live sports-like nature) broke the bank 5 years ago and are looking HUGE increases with their next contract in about a year with numerous bidders. The NFL Sunday Ticket is getting almost double on the open market with offers than what DirecTV was paying. MLB was able to bring in Apple, the NFL brought in Amazon. The money for sports is silly with these TV deals.

In a world where everything is on-demand Sports isn't and will never be. This bubble isn't going to pop, it's the reason why college sports is what it is. The money train has taken off in college football in regards to TV deals and it has no plans of stopping.
Ok the tradional tv media will pop as there is less and less traditional subscribers, streaming will be the future as tradition tv can't work with more than 16 teams unless you go bi coastal as conferences want standalone games.

I was talking more about traditional subscribers as everyday people are not going to be fine increasing their cable bills for sports only by the amount needed for the mega conference models

It’s become farce.
This is the same thing as we have seen across the world of Globalist Capitalism. And it is the same thing as Globalist politics, which is a euphemism for world wide imperial aspirations and actions. This is about the most powerful acting to amass monopoly, which requires them to crush anyone or anything they can crush. In one sense, all that can be described as farce, but it is much worse than any farce.

Ok the tradional tv media will pop as there is less and less traditional subscribers, streaming will be the future as tradition tv can't work with more than 16 teams unless you go bi coastal as conferences want standalone games.
There are both SEC and BT people talking about their dream model, which is 2 leagues of 32 teams each. Each league will have 4 divisions of 8 that are largely organized by geography. Each league will have its own playoffs (perhaps even more than 4 teams) to determine a league Champo, who will face the other league Champ in the Super Bowl of CFB.

NFL vs AFL become SEC vs. BT.

The only way this process could have been stopped was by Notre Dame being a full football member of the ACC and using all its clout to stop the nightmare. Both BT and SEC people knew they had won because they knew that Jack Swarbrick would publicly talk about the necessity of ND not being in a conference for football while behind the scenes he would plot with them.

SU isnt going to either the SEC or the Big.
The ACC needs to make moves to ensure it becomes the 3rd conference. The GOR is solid. Teams leaving will at this point need to pay approximately 100M each to leave.
The ACC isnt going to disband as some have suggested.
I expect both the SEC to eventually land at 20 schools.
Much of this is happening based on the fact that contracts were expiring. Pulling teams out that only have a few years left is different than 12 years which is what remains on the ACC deal.
We are in much better shape than every conf other than the Big and SEC.
Hindsight is always 20-20. We didn't win the lottery but we will be ok

Honestly if the ACC isn’t on a full offensive right now there are serious problems. They should have been more aggressive in the past since basically everybody saw this happening some way or another. Right now the only schools I think add value to the conference are Oregon, Washington , Stanford, Utah, OK ST, WVU, and obviously ND. We don’t get at least half of those and we’re screwed, or at least destined to practically be a 2nd division program. In this case the GOR actually ties our hands. We can’t make a move even if we were invited to. Some of the top schools like ND, Clemson, FSU might as well pay the fine and leave they’d be making so much money, but someone like Syracuse is stuck in the ACC until 2036 because of the GOR. By that time everything will be decided.
Full offensive to do what?. The only way the ACC could mount a winning defense would be with ND on board as full football member. ND would prefer to whore itself. ND always has been too good to get married but is itching to whore when the price hits Jeffery Epstein levels.

And that very sums up our time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom