USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

Hmmmm I remember a elite 8 game in Chicago that seemed like an SU home game. Just one example of the popularity of SU basketball program that still draws fans when they hit the road.

7 seasons was a long time ago. We still have fans and we still have the ability to bounce back. The longer we dig that hole the harder it is to climb out.

They would have had we not dropped the AAU affiliation. That’s the only reason Rutgers is there.
AAU aside, Rutgers proximity to NYC had a lot to do with it as well. Syracuse geographically is further from NYC than I think 3-4 other FBS programs. Which is why we’ve never “owned” NYC for recruiting and never will.

So the "RUMOR/STORY" today is that Apple may be behind this with new money they are wanting to throw at the BIG 10.

Apple and the Big 10 were talking about having exclusive BIG 10 games only be streaming on Apple and Apple also would own a significant portion of exclusive Big 10 content. While FOX would own the lion share, Apple would be the "B" partner for content. But the sides weren't close and talks ended and Apple kinda pulled out of the talks even though they had super strong interest. With USC/UCLA in the Big 10 now Apple picked up the phone and wants to throw MORE money at the Big 10 as of last night and continue talking.

Apparently, the Big 10 wants Apple and to be in business with them and they pulled a big move to get Apple back at the table talking ASAP.

Also, the new leaked "RUMOR/STORY" is Big 10 and SEC will go to 20 or 24 for FOOTBALL only. And they (SEC/BIG10) want to work with the other conference to have the "non-football sports" stay regional. (Pretty much football be like a Jr. NFL with its own TV money, and those athletes be paid employees of the school. while every other sport is still a Student-Athlete under the old rules)

So, USC/UCLA in the Big 10 for football, but in Pac 12 for everything else (I know it makes no sense with the news yesterday but that is the end game from some insiders when everything eventually shakes out.)

And same for other schools who may be leaving the ACC and Pac 12 soon to jump. To that I say GOOD bleepin LUCK pulling that off. You are going to cripple Pac 12 and ACC football but try and make nice with them by having the sports that make little money stay behind as some parting gift for destroying their conference. Guessing Pac 12 and ACC would say "stick it" if that is offered! And if they don't they are clueless.

If there’s any truth to that at all the other conferences should give the B10 and SEC a big fat middle finger.

So the "RUMOR/STORY" today is that Apple may be behind this with new money they are wanting to throw at the BIG 10.

Apple and the Big 10 were talking about having exclusive BIG 10 games only be streaming on Apple and Apple also would own a significant portion of exclusive Big 10 content. While FOX would own the lion share, Apple would be the "B" partner for content. But the sides weren't close and talks ended and Apple kinda pulled out of the talks even though they had super strong interest. With USC/UCLA in the Big 10 now Apple picked up the phone and wants to throw MORE money at the Big 10 as of last night and continue talking.

Apparently, the Big 10 wants Apple and to be in business with them and they pulled a big move to get Apple back at the table talking ASAP.

Also, the new leaked "RUMOR/STORY" is Big 10 and SEC will go to 20 or 24 for FOOTBALL only. And they (SEC/BIG10) want to work with the other conference to have the "non-football sports" stay regional. (Pretty much football be like a Jr. NFL with its own TV money, and those athletes be paid employees of the school. while every other sport is still a Student-Athlete under the old rules)

So, USC/UCLA in the Big 10 for football, but in Pac 12 for everything else (I know it makes no sense with the news yesterday but that is the end game from some insiders when everything eventually shakes out.)

And same for other schools who may be leaving the ACC and Pac 12 soon to jump. To that I say GOOD bleepin LUCK pulling that off. You are going to cripple Pac 12 and ACC football but try and make nice with them by having the sports that make little money stay behind as some parting gift for destroying their conference. Guessing Pac 12 and ACC would say "stick it" if that is offered! And if they don't they are clueless.

If there’s any truth to that at all the other conferences should give the B10 and SEC a big fat middle finger.

Yeah agreed, no thanks to that. Good luck enforcing the SEC/Big Ten from investing football money into the non-football sports while locking out the rest.

Another reason why we should have joined the B1G instead of the ACC…
Honestly, JB and Gross failed to appreciate the B1G’s dominant position in college sports 11 years ago. When Gross asked, JB said he preferred the ACC over the B1G for basketball, which has proved to be a huge miscalculation. Before we joined the ACC, we could have approached the B1G, along with, say, Maryland and Rutgers or UConn, back in 2010. And the East Coast was exactly where Delaney was looking to expand at that time.

Last edited:
That was 40 years ago. 40 years before that, Army was winning football NCs and Heisman trophies.

I'm not saying we're behind them, just that what happened 40 years ago is mostly irrelevant.
Huh? That was 11 years ago. Not 40. I’m saying the ACC wanted to finish expanding northward and was focused on SU and UConn. BC was still mad at UConn and didn’t want another competitor in New England and Gross and the BC AD and some others advanced Pitt instead. I’m talking about the expansion that sent us to the ACC. That news broke in Sept. 2011.

Last edited:
We were about to get tossed from the AAU. Those were the Cantor days I believe.
I get that. Steps should have been taken to prevent that. Didn’t something happen recently that will pave the way for us to rejoin?

like they would have taken us
The B1G might very well have taken us and Maryland or UConn instead. But the ACC announced that SU and Pitt were joining the ACC first. That was a response to the B1G first adding Nebraska in 2010, the SEC announcing the addition of Texas A&M in 2011 and the PAC announcing that Colorado and Utah would join. That was all before the B1G poached Maryland and Rutgers. But we would have needed to approach them.

Last edited:
Irrelevant in basketball??? We are down from where we used to be, but we are still very much a name brand. In the past 10 years we have had a final 4 and 2 Sweet 16's.

In the COVID year...the one that SU football fans use to claim that the 1-win season didn't happen...we made the Sweet 16 despite having a lot of guys test positive (unlike football) and having two quarantines in-season that prevented practice.

Even this year when JB had his first losing season, we were still only 1 game under .500

"Irrelevent" is vastly overstating things.

We haven't had a respectable regular season since 2014. Every season since then has been awful by our standards.

We have had 3 decent NCAA tournament runs since then but all of those came during seasons most people thought we should have been in the NIT on selection sunday.

JB drove us off a cliff to get Buddy into the NBA and let him play with his brother. Some people are OK with that.

I don't like this new landscape at all but if this is the new game then it would be absolutely criminal not to try to get oregon, Arizona, Washington, Kansas and maybe WV in the ACC tomorrow. (not to mention ND)

7 seasons was a long time ago. We still have fans and we still have the ability to bounce back. The longer we dig that hole the harder it is to climb out.
Aye , but we’re not there now (irrelevant) , we need to reverse the hoops trend quickly. I’ll give you that.

The GOR is the ACC’s own worst enemy. It gives them enough arrogance to hide behind a safeguard for the next 14 years. After that, they’ll find themselves left in the cold.

No one should be happy about the “protection” the GOR provides.
Jesus Christ, we agree.

That’s why I said just revoke it now, let all the chess pieces move, then lock up a new deal.

Get this all done now as opposed to drips and drabs.

Honestly, JB and Gross failed to appreciate the B1G’s dominant position in college sports. When Gross asked, JB said he preferred the ACC over the B1G for basketball, which has proved to be a huge miscalculation. Before we joined the ACC, we could have approached the B1G, along with, say, UMD and Rutgers or UConn, back in 2010.
JBs business decisions regarding SU have been terrible. He didn't want to leave Manley, the Big East or Join the Big Ten.

There’s a ton of truth there.

Am I the only one who thinks USC and UCLA to the big ten is ridiculous?
Well, the NY Giants and the LA Rams are in the same conference, so are the NE Patriots and LA Chargers.

They work this all out so the Olympic sports are safe and if anything are on luxury liners that would make Led Zeppelin circa 1973-1977 feel like losers.

It was a truly moronic idea.
It’s going to happen. You just can’t comprehend why.

Take the paper only loss, find a real victory.

Well, the NY Giants and the LA Rams are in the same conference, so are the NE Patriots and LA Chargers.

They work this all out so the Olympic sports are safe and if anything are on luxury liners that would make Led Zeppelin circa 1973-1977 feel like losers.
The patriots play the chargers once every four years. Not every week.

The patriots play the chargers once every four years
Exactly

But if the chargers are playing the bills, and it can help the patsies, you are watching.

I get that. Steps should have been taken to prevent that. Didn’t something happen recently that will pave the way for us to rejoin?
There was a disagreement about what types of research dollars should satisfy the AAU’s metrics. SU was hurt by its lack of a medical school and limited biomedical research. Cantor felt efforts/research supporting her push to involve the university in the community (which eventually led to her departure) should count towards the metrics. The AAU didn’t agree.
I thought I had read something about rejoining but can’t recall where.

JBs business decisions regarding SU have been terrible. He didn't want to leave Manley, the Big East or Join the Big Ten.
Syracuse joining the Big Ten was a discussion point going way, way back. Interestingly the one time JB was said to be considering leaving SU was for The Ohio State University.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom