USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

I say go big, add western division Arizona, ASU, Cali, Utah , Oregon, take Kansas for hoops and then kick ND out. Force them to join the Big. Take in West Virginia and Cincinnati. Add Houston and Boise state. You end up 3rd best in football and #1 for Basketball.
That's nine teams that I mostly agree with (23 total). #1 goal, try to get ND to stay. Either way, I'd try to go to 28 by also adding Stanford, San Diego State, swap BYU for Utah (or not), and add another Texas Team (USTA, Texas Tech, Baylor...) If you're going for Oregon, might as well go for Washington too. The last team? Maybe Memphis or Navy or Oklahoma State. FWIW...

I am shocked ND has said nothing (unless I missed it). Usually we are quick to comment.
I’d like to think they are thinking hard about doing the right thing via partners who’ve bailed them out during hard times, but I think they are probably busy sharpening the shiv for the ACC and burnishing their excuses when they just get greedy like every other program in CFB

touchdown Jesus is a false idol

Agreed about no one knows. I don't think it is necessarily likely there is only one more spot though. There are still some valuable schools left on the board.

Seems like the Big 10 and SEC could stop anywhere between 32 (current) and 64 (almost everybody is invited).

If they stop at say 36 (each conference adds 2), I think there is enough remaining to add a 3rd conference of the next best 18. If they push to 48 or higher, I think it kills even the potential of a 3rd conference.
Isnt part of this equation going to inolve the schools that are willing to pay the athletes? Its coming, and many schools won't or can't. Much easier to get out if that in the lower levels. They may add a few more teams- but all the $$ needs to be concentrated.

I’d like to think they are thinking hard about doing the right thing via partners who’ve bailed them out during hard times, but I think they are probably busy sharpening the shiv for the ACC and burnishing their excuses when they just get greedy like every other program in CFB

touchdown Jesus is a false idol
Lol. Doing what every other school would do if they were in our shoes.

You guys are funny. Texas, Oklahoma, USC, UCLA, Oregon...even Syracuse, BC, Pitt...all changed conferences for more money and better status, but they all get a pass?

Its all cool and good, just smart business, but if ND does it the Irish are singled out as "whoring"?

Ironic.
We haven’t crowed about independence and how great we are

You can’t be that oblivious to hypocrisy

Some of you have to stop with the “ACC should add these random 13 schools from across the country” stuff.

That doesn’t work.

That doesn’t improve the brand stature of the footbal conference, nor does it radically increase the value of a media deal.

The ACC simply doesn’t have the football value that the B1G and SEC does. It’s a bummer but it’s just the way it is. Maybe there’s a universe where Miami and FSU remained as good as they were In the 90s, Clemson ascended, the middle of the conference improved, and things were different.

But in this universe the ACC is the the 3rd or 4th best football conference in a world where 2 conferences dominate.

I wish the ACC would be aggressive and go after Oregon, Washington, Arizona and Stanford. Stanford might even entice ND. They just don’t seem to have the chops to go big. They should have pushed for Texas years ago.

Some of you have to stop with the “ACC should add these random 13 schools from across the country” stuff.

That doesn’t work.

That doesn’t improve the brand stature of the footbal conference, nor does it radically increase the value of a media deal.

The ACC simply doesn’t have the football value that the B1G and SEC does. It’s a bummer but it’s just the way it is. Maybe there’s a universe where Miami and FSU remained as good as they were In the 90s, Clemson ascended, the middle of the conference improved, and things were different.

But in this universe the ACC is the the 3rd or 4th best football conference in a world where 2 conferences dominate.
Agree. There is no saving the ACC at this point. With the USC/UCLA move the conference died on that day. Some may not want to acknowledge it or accept it, but now its just a matter of time.

that seems about right and I think if 48 ends up being the number I think we are just ok to sneak in,
I also think 48 feels like the number. It feels like the minimum number to cover the country and lock up the schools of value. Once they hit that minimum number, there is not incentive to keep going.

So there could be 16 spots left. Notre Dame, Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, UVA would be locks from the ACC. Arizona, Cal, Colorado, Oregon, Stanford, Washington would be locks from he Pac 10. That's 12 with 4 to go.

And then it gets crazy with GaTech, NC State, VPI, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Duke, Utah, Arizona State, and Kansas fighting it out.

It also will depend who is picking. B10 would probably prefer GaTech, Syracuse and BC, while the SEC would prefer NC State and VPI (assuming B10 has UNC and UVA).

That doesn’t work.

Thank you for enlightening us unwashed ignorami! And thank you so much for explaining to us all how to "do" internet message boarding. I bow to your all-knowing brilliance and am ashamed to have voiced my stupid opinion.

So I don't see the ADs quiting. I don't see the head of the ACC quiting. I get it, some of you are already accepting an outcome. I understand why. I think pretty much all of us agree that things are looking unfavorable. I just don't think you quit working solutions. I don't think ACC leaders are stopping nor are the ADs.

When? We just have power and brand. So I guess that is special of sorts.
Hey TerryD, please educate this fellow like you have us. Clearly not all of the ND faithful are on the same page

Clearly the only solution does not involve adding teams. The obvious answer is to combine universities to double their athletic strength. Syracuse merged with Boston College to become BostoCuse University. Pitt merges with Virginia Tech to become Pittirginia Tech. Don’t worry about academics. Those are being phased out anyway.

Clearly the only solution does not involve adding teams. The obvious answer is to combine universities to double their athletic strength. Syracuse merged with Boston College to become BostoCuse University. Pitt merges with Virginia Tech to become Pittirginia Tech. Don’t worry about academics. Those are being phased out anyway.

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Everyone knows it would be "Cuseton."

Nothing is wild after the BT has added SC and UCLA.

The BT is now truly national: from NJ to Los Angeles. The SEC is now just Southern (though many consider MO to be midwestern). If the SEC were to absorb the ACC, the SEC would also be in the northeast. If the SEC were to add BYU, it would have the largest football and basketball fan bases in the entire Rockies region.

It doesn’t not make sense..

The SEC would still have the premier football conference with their current schools, plus Clemson, Miami, FSU etc.

The SEC would own the SE, into Texas, and entire East Coast major media markets.

Then, as a cherry on top, also have the premier basketball conference.

I wish the ACC would be aggressive and go after Oregon, Washington, Arizona and Stanford. Stanford might even entice ND. They just don’t seem to have the chops to go big. They should have pushed for Texas years ago.
maybe they have asked ND if adding these schools changes there opinion and they said nah we good at status quo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom