USC is NOT Firing Clay Helton | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

USC is NOT Firing Clay Helton

I’ve become a USC fan after my brother went to school there and have watched plenty of their games under Helton and could not agree more with SoBe, those 10 wins season are mostly attributed to an easy schedule and having a player like Darnold, you could tell they were winning despite the coaching. Things are bad this year and it probably won’t be getting better under Helton so why keep him around and just dig yourself deeper in a whole. Only thing I worry about is that they probably will hire a Fisher type coach who will be mediocre at best.

I don’t know if you follow Dan Weber at all but he nails everything. Those Tunnel Vision and Peristyle podcasts with Ryan, Keeley, Dan, Shotgun, and the rest of the USCfootball.com crew are pretty outstanding and eye opening.

So, he won with good players.

And he played in a mediocre conference.

I'm not sure what has changed. Helton is the same guy - I presume.

Maybe the players he has are not as good as folks figured.

Way to conveniently ignore the countless examples of ineptitude I’ve presented here and spoonfed to everyone of the behind the scenes issues as well. I’ve probably posted about ten times re: USC throughout these Wildhack/Dino/USC threads over the past few weeks. Believe what you want about the state of the program.

Last edited:
I’ve become a USC fan after my brother went to school there and have watched plenty of their games under Helton and could not agree more with SoBe, those 10 wins season are mostly attributed to an easy schedule and having a player like Darnold, you could tell they were winning despite the coaching. Things are bad this year and it probably won’t be getting better under Helton so why keep him around and just dig yourself deeper in a whole. Only thing I worry about is that they probably will hire a Fisher type coach who will be mediocre at best.

Weaken your opponent is hopefully Swanns goal. Great time for Peterson to jump and Willingham ticks those boxes too.

If Dino demands autonomy - I’m as not worried about USC or a lot of other big schools honestly.

Weaken your opponent is hopefully Swanns goal. Great time for Peterson to jump and Whillingham ticks those boxes too.

If Swann is still the AD then those guys wont go there. He turned down Peterson already. Whittingham(?) is another alpha. Same with Dino. For whatever reasons, Helton was hired with no prior HC experience and he was allowed to hire Brian Ellis who is a QB coach for the first time in his life working with JT Daniels. Can’t make this stuff up.

Way to conveniently ignore the countless examples of ineptitude I’ve presented here and spoonfed to everyone of the behind the scenes issues as well. I’ve probably posted about ten times re: USC throughout these Wildhack/Dino/USC threads over the past few weeks. Believe what you want about the state of the program.

I don't mean to be forward but who are you?

How do you know what you claim to know?

What is your connection to USC/USC Football?

Why should we accept your assessment?

Just curious.

I don't mean to be forward but who are you?

How do you know what you claim to know?

What is your connection to USC/USC Football?

Why should we accept your assessment?

Just curious.

Ok, I’ll play, lol. Someone who has a better understanding of the situation being an alum than Syracuse fans, you, or safe to say probably this whole board. I’m just trying to provide more details and portray a more realistic picture of the situation beyond the recent records. I was dropping some nuggets as a favor and sharing simply to try to share and inform. I have some pretty good and reliable sources. Don’t like it then don’t respond.

Last edited:
Ok, I’ll play, lol. Someone who has a better understanding of the situation being an alum than Syracuse fans. I’m just trying to provide more details and portray a more realistic picture of the situation beyond the recent records. I have some pretty good sources. Don’t like it then don’t respond.
Saw an article o. MSN yesterday where a group of fans were trying to raise funds to buy out his contract. Gotta agree with SoBe that he won't be back.

Saw an article o. MSN yesterday where a group of fans were trying to raise funds to buy out his contract. Gotta agree with SoBe that he won't be back.

I’m pretty sure he will be gone. Doesn’t mean he will be. Swann isn’t safe either and a current interim Pres along with the lawsuits are mucking things up.

I was just trying to show all the plethora of Helton incompetence situations that some people aren’t aware of. He’s that bad and that over his head.

I’m pretty sure he will be gone. Doesn’t mean he will be. Swann isn’t safe either and a current interim Pres along with the lawsuits are mucking things up.

I was just trying to show all the plethora of Helton incompetence situations that some people aren’t aware of. He’s that bad and that over his head.
I know he's playing a freshman qb. Is he the backup or 3rd string? I usually keep tabs on USC, but, as you know, we've had kind of a great year at Cuse so I haven't been following them as closely.

Seriously, when’s the last time SC had a coach who wasn’t a clown show.? Some just win more than others. Being a goof won’t get him fired. Has he lost enough to go?

Seriously, when’s the last time SC had a coach who wasn’t a clown show.? Some just win more than others. Being a goof won’t get him fired. Has he lost enough to go?
I look at it like this, if the AD fires him, his job will probably be safe for a while longer, and maybe a long time if the new coach gets going quickly. If the AD doesn't fire him and next season goes south, their both finished. It's self preservation for Swann to can Helton.

I know he's playing a freshman qb. Is he the backup or 3rd string? I usually keep tabs on USC, but, as you know, we've had kind of a great year at Cuse so I haven't been following them as closely.

Trust me, having Syracuse doing well is making this all easier to deal with and accept. I was hoping to see a USC/Syracuse matchup in a bowl with Syracuse beating them down but USC won’t be bowl eligible, lol.

JT Daniels is fantastic. He just isn’t as mobile as Darnold. Darnold masked a lot of OL and playcalling woes. Depending on the service, Daniels was either the #1 or #2 Pro-Style QB recruit. Lawrence on Clemson is the other one. Daniels enrolled early at USC. He’s actually still 18 years old also.

USC is not hiring Franklin. They will hire a USC guy or an NFL guy or someone who is both.

Trust me, having Syracuse doing well is making this all easier to deal with and accept. I was hoping to see a USC/Syracuse matchup in a bowl with Syracuse beating them down but USC won’t be bowl eligible, lol.

JT Daniels is fantastic. He just isn’t as mobile as Darnold. Darnold masked a lot of OL and playcalling woes. Depending on the service, Daniels was either the #1 or #2 Pro-Style QB recruit. Lawrence on Clemson is the other one. Daniels enrolled early at USC. He’s actually still 18 years old also.
Is it a realistic threat, in your opinion, that USC will go after Babers? Just seems like they would go after a more established coach. Or is it just my Orange colored glasses?

Is it a realistic threat, in your opinion, that USC will go after Babers? Just seems like they would go after a more established coach. Or is it just my Orange colored glasses?

Scroll up through this thread. I don’t want to keep repeating/belaboring.

Sorry if you've addressed this already. I jumped right to the end of the thread.

I dunno. As a coach, he's a great used car salesman. He's got shinier cars in SoCal (well, once the smoke clears) than in Happy Valley.

Let's just lay it out there. A black coach is never gonna be embraced by the 'Joe Was Framed' crowd. I think he wants out--on his own terms.

That’s a garbage take. The vast majority of the posts on this board talking about Franklin are critical of him, for legitimate reasons. So he gets criticized after losses - but it’s not because he’s black, it’s because he’s a terrible coach. So your “pedofile defenders are racists,too!” perspective is idiotic.

I didn’t post this at the time, but I had the pleasure of having a large contingent of fans that sat behind me where my season tickets are that spent a lot of time at the UConn game complaining that blacks are smart enough to be good head coaches, and questioning Babers intelligence during the UNC game. They were noticeably quieter while we thrashed Louisville. At this point it’s more accurate to say all fan bases have an idiot portion that will let their inner racist out if the team struggles and they have a black head coach - I’d rather not get lumped in with the racist fans around me at the Carrier Dome by outside observers of Syracuse, so I’ll defend the vast majority of not-racist Penn State fans from your characterization.

That’s a garbage take. The vast majority of the posts on this board talking about Franklin are critical of him, for legitimate reasons. So he gets criticized after losses - but it’s not because he’s black, it’s because he’s a terrible coach. So your “pedofile defenders are racists,too!” perspective is idiotic.

I didn’t post this at the time, but I had the pleasure of having a large contingent of fans that sat behind me where my season tickets are that spent a lot of time at the UConn game complaining that blacks are smart enough to be good head coaches, and questioning Babers intelligence during the UNC game. They were noticeably quieter while we thrashed Louisville. At this point it’s more accurate to say all fan bases have an idiot portion that will let their inner racist out if the team struggles and they have a black head coach - I’d rather not get lumped in with the racist fans around me at the Carrier Dome by outside observers of Syracuse, so I’ll defend the vast majority of not-racist Penn State fans from your characterization.

It's a 'garbage take' shared by the reporter who covers the team, who wrote that Franklin would likely feel more comfortable in a less rural and overwhelmingly white enclave.. It has nothing to do with whether he can coach or not.

Couple that with the unreconstructed Joe Pa idolators who will never accept someone not in His image, and you can see why Franklin would want to leave.

I think you're confusing me with the cult members who share the views of those bleephole fans you sat with. They exist. And for Franklin, the honeymoon is over in Happy Valley.

There, hope I cleared that up for you.

Ed Orgeron apparently.

Nope. He's a clown too. Just a really beloved one (I dig him fwiw). Honestly, most of these guys are clowns. That's what's so disgusting about the entire thing.

I can see Babers leaving for literally none of those jobs.
I agree he shouldn't, but people do strange things. If he catches the wild notion that he can be the 1 coach t make Illinois really good for a decade, he will jump at the offer.

I agree he shouldn't, but people do strange things. If he catches the wild notion that he can be the 1 coach t make Illinois really good for a decade, he will jump at the offer.

Who are you guys looking at...not that Fedora is gone, yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom