USMNT 2024 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT 2024

And the counter has been a consistent weak point under Berhalter. It’s an open secret and yet they looked completely unprepared to deal with it both individually and tactically. No Dest hurts given he keeps opponents honest and cautious about getting too forward but it’s much more than that. I even look at Turner and he just doesn’t command the respect and attention of his back line. Spoiled so many years by Howard but still…

There is a lot to correct by 2026 and I just don’t see it happening under Berhalter. Hope I’m wrong.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with the lack of energy in midfield, which was not set up the best, IMO.

If you're going to hit Berhalter on his tactics last night, it wasn't the formation, it was who he placed in midfield and where.

I'm almost hoping that we get trashed at Copa America to expose our shortcomings. It would be terrible for the fan support and momentum this team has been building. But we do need a new coach, somebody more elite than this.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. If Berhalter can't succeed at the dress rehearsal (Copa America), then replace him while there's still time to improve our team.

I think Pep is the best coach in the world, but I don't think he can teach this team his methods in time for the World Cup. It's too complicated.

On the other hand, somebody like Jose Mourinho, had he not just signed in Turkey, could certainly toughen up our players, and teach them to play better defense in the limited windows of time the national coaches get with the players.

Last edited:
MLS and USSF really need to step player development. A lot of the top guys didn't play a min in MLS (Reyna Pulisic Weah McKennie etc).

The top countries develop players in their domestic league and have great competition. To me in this area, the USA is way way behind.
This is not an accurate take. Other than the big 5 or so Euro leagues and Argentina and Brazil it’s not true. Opta has MLS at number 13, but they include the big 5 countries second levels leagues ahead of MLS. Colombia is not ahead of MLS.

This is not an accurate take. Other than the big 5 or so Euro leagues and Argentina and Brazil it’s not true. Opta has MLS at number 13, but they include the big 5 countries second levels leagues ahead of MLS. Colombia is not ahead of MLS.

I'm only referencing the development of Americans in MLS who may go on to the national team. In this narrow view I feel it's underwhelming. The league as a whole is strong sure but it doesn't produce talents headed to europe and later national team quality. Just my own opinion.

MLS and USSF really need to step player development. A lot of the top guys didn't play a min in MLS (Reyna Pulisic Weah McKennie etc).

The top countries develop players in their domestic league and have great competition. To me in this area, the USA is way way behind.
I do think this is swiftly improving, but it kinda comes with the territory of MLS not being the premier league (no pun intended) in the world right now. I would also say a lot of guys in South America for example may have played some youth football locally, but once they were discovered, they made the move to Europe just like our guys do. A lot of our guys are also dual-citizens at this point where they didn't grow up in America in the first place. Having said that, of the 17 guys that played in last night's game, 10 played in America either in their youth career or early in their pro career. I believe all 7 of the others never really lived in America so it wouldn't have made much sense for them to have developed here.

MLS is still sort of getting their youth programs established so I expect this will improve moving forwards.

I do think this is swiftly improving, but it kinda comes with the territory of MLS not being the premier league (no pun intended) in the world right now. I would also say a lot of guys in South America for example may have played some youth football locally, but once they were discovered, they made the move to Europe just like our guys do. A lot of our guys are also dual-citizens at this point where they didn't grow up in America in the first place. Having said that, of the 17 guys that played in last night's game, 10 played in America either in their youth career or early in their pro career. I believe all 7 of the others never really lived in America so it wouldn't have made much sense for them to have developed here.

MLS is still sort of getting their youth programs established so I expect this will improve moving forwards.
I hope so. I still feel like there's too many MLS clubs that don't care to actually have a proper academy and integrate players into the first-team. I wish every club took it seriously like the Union, NYRB, FC Dallas etc.

If we were to replace Berhalter at the end of the summer, if we bomb and don't get out of the group stage at Copa America, who are potential targets who would actually make us better?

Here is a list of the more experienced coaches with European experience to consider:
  • Jurgi Low, former German National coach
  • Mauricio Pochettino, well known for developing young talent
  • Graham Potter, a bit too much like Berhalter or Southgate
  • Max Allegri, former Juventus coach, great defensive coach
  • Andre Villas-Boas, Portuguese coach, tactically astute
  • Hansi Flick, former Bayern coach

If we were to replace Berhalter at the end of the summer, if we bomb and don't get out of the group stage at Copa America, who are potential targets who would actually make us better?

Here is a list of the more experienced coaches with European experience to consider:
  • Jurgi Low, former German National coach
  • Mauricio Pochettino, well known for developing young talent
  • Graham Potter, a bit too much like Berhalter or Southgate
  • Max Allegri, former Juventus coach, great defensive coach
  • Andre Villas-Boas, Portuguese coach, tactically astute
  • Hansi Flick, former Bayern coach
I think Jurgen scared the federation into only coaches with MLS connections.

I hope so. I still feel like there's too many MLS clubs that don't care to actually have a proper academy and integrate players into the first-team. I wish every club took it seriously like the Union, NYRB, FC Dallas etc.
One of the talking heads this morning made a really great point... in 2002 our Nats were generally some of the best players on their team and counted on at winning time to win or lose the games. Even if those teams for MLS or second tier European teams. Now our Nats are typically role players who are rotated in and out and are not depended on to win games or lose them... pulisic being the one exception. Would it be better for the USMNT have Nats be the best players on MLS teams vs going over to Europe to be squad depth?

Again these guys have more talent than previous teams, but they are not the ones depended on to win.

One of the talking heads this morning made a really great point... in 2002 our Nats were generally some of the best players on their team and counted on at winning time to win or lose the games. Even if those teams for MLS or second tier European teams. Now our Nats are typically role players who are rotated in and out and are not depended on to win games or lose them... pulisic being the one exception. Would it be better for the USMNT have Nats be the best players on MLS teams vs going over to Europe to be squad depth?

Again these guys have more talent than previous teams, but they are not the ones depended on to win.

This was a humbling experience. The biggest collapse was the defense, but the midfield was poor, too.

The Brazil game, I'll accept Berhalter playing a 3-5-2 or a 3-4-3, just so we don't get blown out, and we bring back some defensive stability. I would totally shake up the defense. Those guys shouldn't expect that they are still starters after that game.

3-4-1-2 would probably be better, so we still have a lot of bodies in the midfield.

Here's my lineup:

G: Horvath
DEF: Miles Robinson - Carter-Vickers - Mark McKenzie
WINGS / MID: Tim Weah - Weston McKennie - Tyler Adams - Yunus Musah
#10: Gio Reyna
Attack: Haji Wright - Christian Pulisic

Last edited:
Forza, what do you have to say? I don’t follow soccer closely but your opinions have always sounded accurate. To my untrained eye, the team looked much more cohesive and dynamic when Berhalter was gone.

It has been awhile since I watched this team.

-Why do we play out of the back so much when we don't have the players for it? We are just asking for trouble.

-Turner cannot pass

-Musah has been awful this match (Brazil). Poor touches and passes all over and we are trying to run things through him?

-Good job creating opportunities but you cannot just try rockets. You aren't going to score that way.

USA should give Pep a blank check to overhaul our whole system and coach the USMNT

USA should give Pep a blank check to overhaul our whole system and coach the USMNT

Is that really going to help given our talent level?

Emery is a wizard in tournaments, as is Mourinho but he is a dick.

So much a better effort.. Brazile had to earn chances except for the goal

The US actually created chances.

Need better composure on the two close ones.. Pulisic tried to just catch the goalie with a quick backside hit when he had time and space to just bury it. And the last one he passed to the sub who also had time to take a dribble.. but when guys are not used to dealing in tight spaces they all go for fast and dont really feel the time.

Turner was good and that helps

So much a better effort.. Brazile had to earn chances except for the goal

The US actually created chances.

Need better composure on the two close ones.. Pulisic tried to just catch the goalie with a quick backside hit when he had time and space to just bury it. And the last one he passed to the sub who also had time to take a dribble.. but when guys are not used to dealing in tight spaces they all go for fast and dont really feel the time.

Turner was good and that helps

Definitely better overall effort. Lets see when things count.

They should win vs. Bolivia and Panama, and then a draw vs. Uruguay would be a good result.
Only if they bomb out of the group will people consider replacing Berhalter.

I think soccer is a sport where scheme and execution can offset talent.
Also, our talent is getting better, but there needs to be better earl identification. Talent hoarding by clubs doesn’t help overall development. The ODP selection system is riddled with quid pro quos and pre- ordained selections.

I think soccer is a sport where scheme and execution can offset talent.
Also, our talent is getting better, but there needs to be better earl identification. Talent hoarding by clubs doesn’t help overall development. The ODP selection system is riddled with quid pro quos and pre- ordained selections.
For me Pep here would be like Carlo at Everton.

IMO if you are going to go all in on a manager it should be one who has done it in tournaments more than leagues. Big difference in the two. Even better if it was done with lesser talent.

Mourinho is boring but he would give us the best chance. And I mean his style, he would be entertaining.

IMO if you are going to go all in on a manager it should be one who has done it in tournaments more than leagues. Big difference in the two. Even better if it was done with lesser talent.

Mourinho is boring but he would give us the best chance. And I mean his style, he would be entertaining.

Mourinho or Rafa Benitez could teach these guys how to play proper defense.
And since they couldn't sell off all the younger players, maybe they would be better teachers than they have to be at club level.

Emery's not going anywhere, unfortunately. Everything is set up for him at Villa, and they've made Champions League. He has tremendous support from the ownership and the fans. He's a good judge of talent, too.

If Berhalter is still there in 2026 it will take massive assistance from FIFA to make it out of the group stage.

I hate it when folks with real knowledge go way over my head. (I kid, but really that doesn’t track for me. I’m a relative newbie who still has trouble understanding the false 9 and why a sport that dominates Europe has its significant field markings measured in yards, and not meters.)

I hate it when folks with real knowledge go way over my head. (I kid, but really that doesn’t track for me. I’m a relative newbie who still has trouble understanding the false 9 and why a sport that dominates Europe has its significant field markings measured in yards, and not meters.)
My basic take is that the US player development system is still behind in global best practices. Additionally the best countries have excellent soccer culture which is still a work in progress here. Compare USA to Japan. Started their first divisions at a similar time.

I would suspect that Soccer still only gets the bottom rung of the USA best athletes and that causes issues to the process more than anything.

I would suspect that Soccer still only gets the bottom rung of the USA best athletes and that causes issues to the process more than anything.
Athleticism is secondary. The USA needs to develop players with better technical and tactical skills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom