USMNT 2024 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT 2024

Dumb foul by Weah. Gotta keep your head there.

But what a strike and goal by Balo playing with 10.

Is it FOX's audio or being in domes or weak crowds that have made these games not sound all that good?

Is it FOX's audio or being in domes or weak crowds that have made these games not sound all that good?
I’d say FOX coming from someone who goes to Mercedes Benz often for ATL UTD matches. The Benz gets loud. I brought the family back to NY to see family, so we didn’t get to this one in person.

Panama is physical to no surprise, but they have been playing dirty too. They are lucky not to have a couple more yellows.

So Greg still hates Gio Reyna? Is that what we take from the Carter Vickers sub?

This is on Weah. Also doesn't help that Pepi stinks. That being said we are not normally well organized on D with 11 men. That is on Berhalter. Being down to 10 men is a huge disadvantage, but this is Panama we are playing. There is zero excuse for conceding 2 goals to them in 65 mins.

We still have a decent shot at this. We need to hope that Uruguay kills Bolivia, and then go beat an unmotivated Uruguay. As long as Panama does not win by 3 or more goals, we go through.

I like that Dempsey has been critical of this team. I hate that our media rarely holds these players accountable.

This is what makes soccer such a tough sport to watch if you dont love it.

The Red card on the US for essentially a push was the softest contact of the dozen yellows.

The Red on Panama would have been a DQ in hockey and a suspension for games

the non call on the wipe out of the goalie

really other than 2-3 times scrambliing they didnt give Panama much all game with the extra man.

even I think they win by 2-3

This is on Weah. Also doesn't help that Pepi stinks. That being said we are not normally well organized on D with 11 men. That is on Berhalter. Being down to 10 men is a huge disadvantage, but this is Panama we are playing. There is zero excuse for conceding 2 goals to them in 65 mins.

We still have a decent shot at this. We need to hope that Uruguay kills Bolivia, and then go beat an unmotivated Uruguay. As long as Panama does not win by 3 or more goals, we go through.

I like that Dempsey has been critical of this team. I hate that our media rarely holds these players accountable.
Weah was absolutely a fool for that play but the problems with this team are much deeper than than that one mistake. Getting blown out by Columbia 5-1 certainly showed that.
The match against Uruguay should be Berhalter’s last chance, and I can’t see a positive result with him as head coach. The starting 11 all play for teams in the top five leagues. Right now they are less than the sum of their parts.

Weah was absolutely a fool for that play but the problems with this team are much deeper than than that one mistake. Getting blown out by Columbia 5-1 certainly showed that.
The match against Uruguay should be Berhalter’s last chance, and I can’t see a positive result with him as head coach. The starting 11 all play for teams in the top five leagues. Right now they are less than the sum of their parts.
Weah should get a medal if triple-g gets canned.

The only positive is that it is likely Berhalter's send-off game on Monday. What a rough way to flop out of Copa America.
Rough way indeed. Is anyone surprised that Panama played dirty and tried to aggravate the US? We should have been better prepared, more composed.

Well that worked out well for us. Uruguay pretty much wrapped up 1st tonight. We would have to beat them by 4 goals to take over the top spot. So just beat them and hope that Panama doesn't win by 3 or more goals.

BTW I don't trust that they would fire Berhalter if we lose (and just getting out of the group shouldn't keep his job BTW). The guy is not a good manager and they brought him back already. There isn't enough pressure in this country for them to move on. They will say that the World Cup is around the corner and we need to trust to process.

Last edited:
And the Pulisic retaliation was the cherry on top for a team with very little discipline. Panama has played the same way for years. They should have been prepared for it.

atill don't get why the slight push gets you thrown out
I think Weah's decision to hit the instigator in the head is what did him in.

You can see the guy from Panama keep stepping up into Weah's space, trying like hell to get him to react.

He did a great job and that move/acting job was the biggest play in the game.

atill don't get why the slight push gets you thrown out
It was intentional direct contact with the head that got Weah tossed.

Not a difficult call for a soccer ref to make given the circumstances (not incidental while going for a 50/50 ball in the air).

A little harsh? Yes. But there would’ve likely been infinitely worse physical play without that incident reviewed and carded.

18 to 4 fouls. USA played soft AF and clearly weren’t mentally prepared for Panama’s borderline dirty play.

I get the contact to the head happened.. But it wasn't hard in any way it wasnt a push. More of a get away from my type shove.

The late Ref on Panama was 100x worse a play and could have caused injury but they result in the same thing. Of course a sport that only has simple methods to stop aggressive play is going to not deal with simple things like this well.

And if you are going to review the play to call the red then review the cause of the play and at least give the guy a yellow for instigating the contact , he had no business doing what he did off the ball. Be more like hockey and toss them both.

I get the contact to the head happened.. But it wasn't hard in any way it wasnt a push. More of a get away from my type shove.

The late Ref on Panama was 100x worse a play and could have caused injury but they result in the same thing. Of course a sport that only has simple methods to stop aggressive play is going to not deal with simple things like this well.

And if you are going to review the play to call the red then review the cause of the play and at least give the guy a yellow for instigating the contact , he had no business doing what he did off the ball. Be more like hockey and toss them both.
If it was my call, I would have given him a yellow. A red is a huge deal and you really need to do something extraordinary to get one. You are right; it wasn’t really hard and in my judgement anyway, there was no way that shove was going to seriously injure the controversial diver from Panama. Going directly for the head gave the ref a way to justify the extreme call.

The ref made a number of inconsistent calls. He lost control of the game and did a number of inexplicable things. It is unfortunate for the US he was assigned to am important game like this one.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom