USMNT - Greg Berhalter Takes Over | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT - Greg Berhalter Takes Over

I am not sure what to make of Berhalter so far but I will say this. He knows what he wants. I like the movement and passing within the system but we can't fall apart with teams that can push it up field. McKennie needs to get composure. He has talent
It’s really unfortunate that Schalke had the worst injury luck ever last season and ended up in a relegation battle because they’re usually a Europa/Champions League side and that would definitely help Weston. Excited to see Tyler Adams in the CL again this year though.

Time for Berhalter to answer some questions. His first half plan was pretty good but we got boat raced in the second half.

We got overrun in midfield in the second half. Weston McKennie needs to calm down. Yes, you need someone with some bite in midfield, but you also have to keep your composure. He is the successor to Jermaine Jones in that regard, but obviously more talented with the ball.

Paul Arriola is like the USMNT's version of James Milner. He's a terrier, nipping at you. Not incredibly talented, but you like to have a few guys like him in the squad.

Pulisic and Altidore did enough to create a couple goals. Cup play is like Champions League in that you don't get a lot of chances, so you'd better take most of the ones that come your way. We did not do that, and we didn't have that dynamic guy off the bench to give us a jolt.

Whatever happened to Darlington Nagbe? We could have used a guy like that in the midfield who can dribble and carry the ball forward to break the high press. You can't only have Pulisic to do that when McKennie is off his game.

I really liked that guy Reggie Cannon. He played very solid defense and made some nifty runs forward. He had a very good tournament, and we now have an alternative to DeAndre Yedlin at right back. I wouldn't have minded seeing Tyler Boyd in the second half when they took out Jordan Morris. Boyd was very exciting earlier in the tournament.

What happened to Kellyn Acosta? He seemed like a promising young midfielder. We could have used some alternatives in midfield in this game.

I feel like this Gold Cup squad had about half of what our roster will be next year. We're getting there, but we squandered so much time.

While Mexico didn’t have their A team I would say we were without Cameron Carter-Vickers and John Brooks and our defense was solid this tournament.

I think we have some nice pieces but need to develop midfield and forwards.
No Yeldin either

We got overrun in midfield in the second half. Weston McKennie needs to calm down. Yes, you need someone with some bite in midfield, but you also have to keep your composure. He is the successor to Jermaine Jones in that regard, but obviously more talented with the ball.

Paul Arriola is like the USMNT's version of James Milner. He's a terrier, nipping at you. Not incredibly talented, but you like to have a few guys like him in the squad.

Pulisic and Altidore did enough to create a couple goals. Cup play is like Champions League in that you don't get a lot of chances, so you'd better take most of the ones that come your way. We did not do that, and we didn't have that dynamic guy off the bench to give us a jolt.

Whatever happened to Darlington Nagbe? We could have used a guy like that in the midfield who can dribble and carry the ball forward to break the high press. You can't only have Pulisic to do that when McKennie is off his game.

I really liked that guy Reggie Cannon. He played very solid defense and made some nifty runs forward. He had a very good tournament, and we now have an alternative to DeAndre Yedlin at right back. I wouldn't have minded seeing Tyler Boyd in the second half when they took out Jordan Morris. Boyd was very exciting earlier in the tournament.

What happened to Kellyn Acosta? He seemed like a promising young midfielder. We could have used some alternatives in midfield in this game.

I feel like this Gold Cup squad had about half of what our roster will be next year. We're getting there, but we squandered so much time.
Acosta had a rough patch at FC Dallas before moving to Colorado and has struggled to get back into the squad. He’s young enough that I think he still has something to give and his athleticism could’ve been helpful in this squad. I think the most exciting midfield option over the next few years in that same position will be Paxton Pomykal.

Cannon has a ton of potential and I have to think he opened some eyes at the club level. I hope he has the ambition to make a move to Europe.

I definitely agree that this lineup could’ve used Boyd and I still don’t understand playing Morris over him based on the way they played in the tournament.

Acosta had a rough patch at FC Dallas before moving to Colorado and has struggled to get back into the squad. He’s young enough that I think he still has something to give and his athleticism could’ve been helpful in this squad. I think the most exciting midfield option over the next few years in that same position will be Paxton Pomykal.

Cannon has a ton of potential and I have to think he opened some eyes at the club level. I hope he has the ambition to make a move to Europe.

I definitely agree that this lineup could’ve used Boyd and I still don’t understand playing Morris over him based on the way they played in the tournament.
Give me Boyd and hell even Bobby Wood over Morris ever again.
Jordan Morris is the new Wondo for the national team.
I couldn’t stand the guy was always selected and the miss Wondo had in 2014 90th minute against Belgium personified his play on the national team level.

Yedlin, Wood, CCV, Brooks and the young guns are the players who could help.
The US next games will be the CONCACAF nations cup against Cuba and Canada.
So it will be interesting how the US does in Canada.

created enough chances to win.. a couple misses a couple saves a couple hit people..

but clearly the 2nd half we were on the defense way too much.

Full disclosure -- I watched the first 20 minutes on my phone, a few beers in, on the train back from the NYCFC/Timbers match, with the whole famn damily in tow.

The good thing is I think the problems with this team are obvious:

- We were poor at finishing opportunities;
- Our CM depth is past its prime;
- Our lack up offensive talent from the lost generation is killing us.

Another thing is that I think we've seen the system could work for us and our defense was stout.

I really hated seeing McKennie get out hustled by a Dos Santos on that goal. That should never happen to a USMNT player. We're not going to consistently win big games on talent, we have to continue to be better than our opponents physically and that'll mean not getting out-hustled on plays like that.

I'm looking forward to the next 12 months. I am thinking (hoping) we see the integration of a lot of young talent to this team that will get us all excited about the rest of this cycle.

Last edited:

USA and Mexico benefit from the new format.

Our players are going to HATE not having to travel to Guatemala and El Salvador and Haiti for 4th Round games!

/s

As long as we can fill in the holes in our schedule created by this with some good competition, it will be great for us.

The knock-out phases for the lower ranked teams will also be very fun to watch. I love elimination soccer games. I do feel bad for teams like TnT and CAN who just had their qualification chances go from slim to none.

Our players are going to HATE not having to travel to Guatemala and El Salvador and Haiti for 4th Round games!

/s

As long as we can fill in the holes in our schedule created by this with some good competition, it will be great for us.

The knock-out phases for the lower ranked teams will also be very fun to watch. I love elimination soccer games. I do feel bad for teams like TnT and CAN who just had their qualification chances go from slim to none.
The new CONCACAF nations cup will allow these countries not in the top 6 the chance to move up as it won’t be the top 6 till the world ranking in September 2020.

I agree it will help the US and Mexico avoid hostile venues.

Keaton Parks is excellent lately. Great defender, very creative, big body. He's probably back to Europe soon if he keeps playing like this.
Beat me to it. He was the best player on the field tonight in the Hudson River Derby. He belongs in Europe and it’s hard to believe he wasn’t in the USMNT side for the Gold Cup.

Some of you may have seen this already, and those fans who are aware of the national team pool will see a lot of familiar names in here. But I found this to be an interesting, informative analysis and "rating" (because there always has to be a hook ...) of the top young prospects for the USMNT. I think even die-hards will enjoy this.

Some of you may have seen this already, and those fans who are aware of the national team pool will see a lot of familiar names in here. But I found this to be an interesting, informative analysis and "rating" (because there always has to be a hook ...) of the top young prospects for the USMNT. I think even die-hards will enjoy this.

Some real reasons to be optimistic for the attacking future. I love Llanez, Soto, Ledezma, Méndez, and De La Fuente. Will be really interesting to see where they all end up playing this coming season. All of them are loan/sale options with good parent clubs.

Although we always say "the future is bright" I really feel like the 2019 U-20 team has some potential World Cup contributors for the USA.

Dest, Mendez, Gloster, Richards, Soto, Weah, Pomykal
Only one of these kids is in MLS the rest are in Europe. That is great. The coaching and training they will get will help develop them more.
That is thing that isn’t strong in MLS.

Coaching and training.

As a DC United fan, this one hurts. He's probably my favorite soccer player right now so I'll be happy for him to get an opportunity, especially if it's in Europe, but I'll miss him pretty badly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom