USMNT soccer team thread | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solid thoughts... BUT... Zusi was solid in the 1 v 1 vs. Torres in the 17'. He shouldn't have been left alone back there, and used his body in textbook fashion to win the ball, offset his man's speed, and shut down a potential disastrous counter.

Won't go down in the stat sheet, but it was a great defensive moment and if he isn't there... it potentially salvaged the point.
Yes that was one great 1:1 from Zusi but that doesn't outweigh all the terrible moments where his lack of footspeed hurt the team both on offense and defense. Zusi will never be good enough to play for the US at a world cup level because while he has a good head he runs like he's wearing cement blocks. Not sure why, in this meaningless tournament, Arena feels the need to run out Zusi, Bedoya, Gonzo, Besler, Villafana... we know what all of those guys can do and outside of Besler if any of them see the field in Russia we are in trouble.

Speaking of Villafana, I am not impressed with him at all... he constantly lost 1:1 battles which opened up the whole backline. Sure he's ok going forward but he's no roberto carlos. Given that Villafana seems to be the presumptive starter on the A team as well, we need to try some other LB options ASAP because I don't think he's going to cut it.

Dwyer will make the A team I suspect because we need another striker. Not sure Rowe is going to make it to the A team as we seem to have a lot of winger types and I'm not sure he's better than any of them. The most disappointing part of the team yesterday and the US team across all levels is inability to find a creative midfielder who can run the offense a la Claudio Reyna. Based on yesterday's evidence neither Acosta or McCarty are the solution, although Acosta showed some promise. I know some people like Hyndman but he's rightfully in Bournemouth' preseason training. I'm not sure why Arena is not trying out Feilhaber or Klestan in this tournament given that they are proven amids.

Not sure why, in this meaningless tournament, Arena feels the need to run out Zusi, Bedoya, Gonzo, Besler, Villafana... we know what all of those guys can do and outside of Besler if any of them see the field in Russia we are in trouble.

Speaking of Villafana, I am not impressed with him at all... he constantly lost 1:1 battles which opened up the whole backline. Given that Villafana seems to be the presumptive starter on the A team as well, we need to try some other LB options ASAP because I don't think he's going to cut it.

Dwyer will make the A team I suspect because we need another striker. Not sure Rowe is going to make it to the A team as we seem to have a lot of winger types and I'm not sure he's better than any of them. The most disappointing part of the team yesterday and the US team across all levels is inability to find a creative midfielder who can run the offense a la Claudio Reyna. .

To your first point, you have to remember that Arena hasn't necessarily seen all these guys that much; this is only his second camp back in charge, so I don't begrudge him wanting to see some of these guys play in a competitive tournament setting.

On the second point, Villafana has had one really good game and has been exposed ever since. He wanders inside far too often on defense, leaving wide channels for opponents to run in on the counter. I agree that we need a new player at Left Back, and I agree that we should be looking at some of these winger types who have underwhelmed - precisely like Bedoya and Corona - rather than trying them up out front in the attack, as Bruce did yesterday. That's what he is trying to do with Zusi, but while Zusi has a good head for the game, as you said, he just doesn't have the foot speed to defend quality attacking players out wide.

I think Dwyer is going to surpass Morris and Bobby Wood very quickly, and I think he is also going to overtake Dempsey eventually, because to me, that's whose style and persona he has. Yes, Deuce played more as an attacking midfielder in his prime, but I see a lot of Dempsey's grit and grind in Dwyer's game. He is the big revelation of this tournament so far. I hope he can keep it up.

Agree. Wasn't thrilled with lineup

Well, this tournament is for Bruce to see if any of these fringe guys have the right stuff. I was happy that we still got a result with the lineup we put out there. At times in the first half, we looked in control, but after the first goal, they let their foot off the gas, Panama came right back to score, and we were on our heels the rest of the game, desperately trying to defend and keep the point. They were lucky they did, because the defense was in shambles last night, not closing down on shooters at all.

To your first point, you have to remember that Arena hasn't necessarily seen all these guys that much; this is only his second camp back in charge, so I don't begrudge him wanting to see some of these guys play in a competitive tournament setting.

On the second point, Villafana has had one really good game and has been exposed ever since. He wanders inside far too often on defense, leaving wide channels for opponents to run in on the counter. I agree that we need a new player at Left Back, and I agree that we should be looking at some of these winger types who have underwhelmed - precisely like Bedoya and Corona - rather than trying them up out front in the attack, as Bruce did yesterday. That's what he is trying to do with Zusi, but while Zusi has a good head for the game, as you said, he just doesn't have the foot speed to defend quality attacking players out wide.

I think Dwyer is going to surpass Morris and Bobby Wood very quickly, and I think he is also going to overtake Dempsey eventually, because to me, that's whose style and persona he has. Yes, Deuce played more as an attacking midfielder in his prime, but I see a lot of Dempsey's grit and grind in Dwyer's game. He is the big revelation of this tournament so far. I hope he can keep it up.

I think he'll surpass Morris if he didn't already, but I don't think he'll pass Bobby Wood in the pecking order. I can't see Dwyer being able to do anything in big games on the international level. He's scored two poacher goals, one against a Ghana B team in a friendly and one vs. Panama. Wood is a better dribbler and can create for himself if necessary.

Don't get me wrong I think he will be a solid 4th option to Altidore, Wood, and Dempsey but I don't think he's a world beater. He does work hard and brings a different look. Will be the "Wondolowski" of the 2018 World Cup.

I think he'll surpass Morris if he didn't already, but I don't think he'll pass Bobby Wood in the pecking order. I can't see Dwyer being able to do anything in big games on the international level. He's scored two poacher goals, one against a Ghana B team in a friendly and one vs. Panama. Wood is a better dribbler and can create for himself if necessary.

Don't get me wrong I think he will be a solid 4th option to Altidore, Wood, and Dempsey but I don't think he's a world beater. He does work hard and brings a different look. Will be the "Wondolowski" of the 2018 World Cup.

I hear what you're saying, but I see him as the number 3 option already, behind Altidore and Dempsey, and I think he will take Dempsey's place after the World Cup.

I hear what you're saying, but I see him as the number 3 option already, behind Altidore and Dempsey, and I think he will take Dempsey's place after the World Cup.

Dempsey is a totally different player than Dwyer other than his toughness IMO. Dempsey is often used as a second striker and more of a creator. Dwyer not so much..

I doubt Bruce plays him ahead of Wood either, but I guess we'll see! I also think we have a chance at a younger attacker making the squad for the WC, possibly Haji Wright at Schalke who may get first team minutes this year.

Last edited:
Can we stop trying to long ball these guys and use some skill.
We should be able to break this team down.
The skill and touch of service just isn't there.

Zardes is killing me.

Pathetic first half from this team.
Zardes is killing me.

Pathetic first half from this team.

I've never been a fan of Zardes, he always looks like an athlete playing soccer rather than a soccer player.

Agudelo has looked decent but just a lack of cohesion and patience. We are playing an empty bucket with no one linking to the attack.

Absolutely terrible. I get switching some stuff around but making 8 changes gets you performances like this. There is no connection between the players and they don't look like they have any idea what the other guy is going to do. And we seem to always find a way to look slowwww with these Arena selections.

Absolutely terrible. I get switching some stuff around but making 8 changes gets you performances like this. There is no connection between the players and they don't look like they have any idea what the other guy is going to do. And we seem to always find a way to look slowwww with these Arena selections.

Honestly, I like that we are getting a look at some new faces. We will put this away in the second half. I hated last games lineup we don't need to see Bedoya and Zusi ever again

Play on the field needs to improve obviously.

Honestly, I like that we are getting a look at some new faces. We will put this away in the second half. I hated last games lineup we don't need to see Bedoya and Zusi ever again

Play on the field needs to improve obviously.
I think my biggest issue is that I don't really see a genuine plan under Arena. I love giving young guys a run and understand this tournament doesn't really matter, but we should be able to throw out a U21 team and beat Martinique.

I think my biggest issue is that I don't really see a genuine plan under Arena. I love giving young guys a run and understand this tournament doesn't really matter, but we should be able to throw out a U21 team and beat Martinique.

There is more organization under Arena than Klinnsman, which isn't saying much I guess. Genuine plan for what the World Cup? Or game plan

There is more organization under Arena than Klinnsman, which isn't saying much I guess. Genuine plan for what the World Cup? Or game plan
I guess my issue is with playing style. I don't know that Arena is really the guy who I want leading this team going forward. It felt like a lazy retread hire so I'm biased in feeling that way. I think my high hopes for the future with the potential of our young players abroad has made it hard to watch this far less talented team wander around the field for 45 minutes and nearly conceded twice. And as I type this we look a lot better and hopefully they'll make me eat my words.

Jordan Morris taking the money from MLS rather than going to Germany really stunted his potential.

Thank goodness for Omar Gonzalez. Big boy finished and atleast the USA are ahead now.

Why Dom Dwyer didn't start is just unbelievable.
I'm just thankful that he and Sydney LeRoux created the future all time leading USMNT goal scorer who also happens to be ridiculously adorable.
IMG_0428.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.