USMNT soccer team thread | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This team deserves to lose. Give credit to the opponent for wanting it more.

I guess my issue is with playing style. I don't know that Arena is really the guy who I want leading this team going forward. It felt like a lazy retread hire so I'm biased in feeling that way. I think my high hopes for the future with the potential of our young players abroad has made it hard to watch this far less talented team wander around the field for 45 minutes and nearly conceded twice. And as I type this we look a lot better and hopefully they'll make me eat my words.

I would agree if Sunil Gulati would have actually made the change sooner, like he should have. Jurgen should have been shown the door at the beginning of this cycle. Keep him as technical director if you want but we needed someone fresh.

I think my biggest issue is that I don't really see a genuine plan under Arena. I love giving young guys a run and understand this tournament doesn't really matter, but we should be able to throw out a U21 team and beat Martinique.

It's early days forArena, remember. I expect him to use this tournament to figure out who his team is for next year, really starting with the next qualifiers in September.

I think what is fair to expect from Arena is an improved defense and more vertical play with the ball. Now, a lot of the defense has been terrible so far in this tournament, but everyone in Europe is missing, as well as most of the very top "name" MLS guys, who are getting a break this tournament, at least until the elimination games, to keep them fresh for the finish of the Hex and hopefully the World Cup in Russia.

Jordan Morris taking the money from MLS rather than going to Germany really stunted his potential.

Thank goodness for Omar Gonzalez. Big boy finished and atleast the USA are ahead now.

Staying in college for that extra year, when he already established himself as an MLS player didn't help his development, either. He had a terrific second half tonight, but I'm not sold that he's the answer at the 9 spot, long term.

Why Dom Dwyer didn't start is just unbelievable.

After 2 goals in 2 games, I think Arena wanted to find out if the other guys had the heart to get a win. Turns out they did.

Morris had a terrific second half. He was tireless and he has great speed running down long balls. Tonight, he was hitting the target, he was moving the ball, he wasn't selfish, and he had a very good game.

Zardes was not especially good in the first half, but had some much better moments linking with Morris in the second half. Aguedelo was threatening and linked well with the other attacking guys, too. Still a little too flashy at times, but they were threatening in the second half against an admittedly inferior squad in Martinique. But this is how young guys build confidence, by winning a game without the old die-hard guys there to bail them out and make the big play.

Once Martinique tied it at 2, that was a dangerous moment. We could have collapsed on defense, and we had been up 2-0. But Morris stormed down and got the third goal, and they defended fairly well after that to see out the game.

For me, the only player on defense that did well was Lichaj at right back. The guy from Kansas City was barking back there, and had a few good plays, but overall, Guzan was tentative coming out of his goal to go after balls, especially after he came up short on that one, and was lucky not to give up the goal, but the guy was offsides. Lichaj definitely knows the position and he was pretty effective, IMO.

Using Alexi Lallas' scoring system, I think tonight's guys who deserve consideration going forward are Morris (back in my "good graces") and Lichaj. Zardes and Aguedelo are still on the fringes, looking to break into the team.

I would agree if Sunil Gulati would have actually made the change sooner, like he should have. Jurgen should have been shown the door at the beginning of this cycle. Keep him as technical director if you want but we needed someone fresh.

I think Arena is a good choice to see through qualification, and he gives us a solid shot to get out of the Group stage at the World Cup, and maybe even win a game or two. He has done all of that before.

I think the best case scenario for the US after Moscow would be to try to hire an Italian coach. We need to really tighten up our defense against the International game without completely bunkering in, and I think Italian coaches tend to be good teachers, tactically very astute and often flexible about formation, and of course rock solid on defense.

I like that many still play with 2 strikers, as well. I think that's a better vision for US soccer, which has always been built on effort and defense. Now that we are developing and/or locating more skilled prospects from abroad, I think a crash course in the basics would launch us to the next level as a program.

The skills of these MLS players are just poor.

We put too much focus on all things except skill. Teach these kids skill and let them learn. The MLS game is too physical and not skill based.

This tournament is all MLS kids. Tonight's performance they lose against all the HEX teams.

The skills of these MLS players are just poor.

We put too much focus on all things except skill. Teach these kids skill and let them learn. The MLS game is too physical and not skill based.

This tournament is all MLS kids. Tonight's performance they lose against all the HEX teams.

MLS style of play is very much like the English Championship division; fast, physical, very direct. I agree that these second-tier MLS guys, some of them anyway, do not have good enough touch or close control. But for others (e.g., Darlington Nagbe), they can be as good as anybody.

I think you ought to give them a bit more credit than that, though. The did come back and win it, even though it never should have been that close. Once we settle on a semi-permanent defense, I think we will be fine.

So do we put out a C team tonight?

I think we'll see a mixture of players from the first and second game.

Id like to see:

---------Rowe------Dwyer-----Morris-------
Villafaña----McCarty----Acosta---Arriola/Lichaj
-----------Besler--Gonzalez--Miazga----------

• Rowe and Dwyer were the best players for the first game
  • Villafaña is better going forward than defending lately so wingback role
  • Arriola plays wingback in Liga MX
  • I believe our pool favors 3 in the back. Would like to see Miazga
  • Morris had the brace last game so give him another start unless he's tired
  • What other options are realistic in the center mid? Maybe Bedoya ew..

Hamid gets the nod and yet I don't have a good feeling for tonight ... Feeling a tough 1-0 match ... Think it'll be one of those matches where we miss 2-3 that should go in and our D has head scratch lapses.

11 changes from Arena.
DEzqWH-XsAI7t59

He is pissed at the lineup from last game.

Our guys make stupid passes in the attacking last third that have no chance to get thru.

Cmon break these inferior teams down and stop trying to make easy passes that can't get thru.

Our guys make stupid passes in the attacking last third that have no chance to get thru.

Cmon break these inferior teams down and stop trying to make easy passes that can't get thru.
Missed opportunity just before the 7' mark

Nicaragua is so dirty and flopping at all contact.

I really hope we get the 3rd goal and that Dwyer PK miss doesn't screw the USA.

Really should be 5-0 at this point. 2 poor PK and a few nice opportunities missed
Arena is calling in Bradley/Howard/Dempsey/Jozy for the knockout round.

He isn't happy with this inferior team.

The Chelsea man Mizaga with the great finish.

Terrific assist by Zusi.

With Nicaragua a man down the USA should get the 3-0 win.

USA will play the loser of Jamaica-El Salvador. If they play to a draw it will play El Salvador.

Costa Rica will play Panama

Canada will play the winner of Jamaica- El Salvador.

Mexico will play Honduras.

The biggest challenge for US players (and coaches!) is that we play too direct, take too many chances trying to advance the ball and force 30 yard passes through midfield when they often simply aren't there.

After the Russia World Cup, I hope they can attract a good Italian coach to teach them more about defense, tactics and how to manage a game. I think if you look at our whole pool of players, there is some pretty good talent there going forward. But we really have to be coached up.

Status
Not open for further replies.