Tim Ream
Eric Lichaj
DeAndre Yedlin
Graham Zusi
Jorge Villafana

G: Tim Howard
Brad Guzan
Bill Hamid

Bobby Wood will be on the roster over 1 of Dwyer or Morris. I wish we'd try Cameron in the midfield but doubt it happens. Would take Chandler over Zusi. Otherwise looks pretty good. If Mckennie at Shalke gets first team minutes this year I think he has a shot to make the roster. Hopefully a younger CB can beat out Ream, like Eric Palmer Brown or Miazga.

6 roster changes for next round.

In: Tim Howard, Jesse Gonzalez (GK), Bradley, Nagbe, Altidore, Dempsey
Out: Guzan, Dwyer, Johnson, Roldan, Bedoya, Rowe

Bobby Wood will be on the roster over 1 of Dwyer or Morris. I wish we'd try Cameron in the midfield but doubt it happens. Would take Chandler over Zusi. Otherwise looks pretty good. If Mckennie at Shalke gets first team minutes this year I think he has a shot to make the roster. Hopefully a younger CB can beat out Ream, like Eric Palmer Brown or Miazga.

We still need another left back, too. But if you look at that roster, there's a pretty good amount of talent and experience there. We should definitely get out of an average group, and we could beat somebody with a good draw.

I just don't see it with Bobby Wood - all running, no final product.
I agree about Geoff Cameron and with Kellyn Acosta as your two holding midfielders; that would be terrific.

Timmy Chandler seems thick bottomed and not that talented, to me. He's kind of like Brek Shea, a guy who's too big for the position.

You're also right, there are a few good young Americans in Europe, like those 2 with Schalke who put on a show the other day in a pre-season game.

I just don't see it with Bobby Wood - all running, no final product.
I agree about Geoff Cameron and with Kellyn Acosta as your two holding midfielders; that would be terrific.

Timmy Chandler seems thick bottomed and not that talented, to me. He's kind of like Brek Shea, a guy who's too big for the position.

You're also right, there are a few good young Americans in Europe, like those 2 with Schalke who put on a show the other day in a pre-season game.

Wood scored on the big stage vs. Mexico unlike Dwyer and Morris. He's more skilled than both Dwyer and Morris. I'd have him out there over either of them unless Morris improves his weak foot. But everybody prefers different styles.

I'd still take Chandler over Zusi who will get absolutely burned against anyone with pace on the wing. Which we will face every game at the World Cup. Zusi is ok vs. most concacaf teams.

As far as left back Lichaj can play there but it's certainly our weakest position. I'm not impressed with Fabian Johnson further up the field. Play him at left back and we have a really strong team.

I really hope we transition to 3-4-3 for the WC. W can play Johnson and Yedlin as wingbacks. And we have more solid cbs than outside backs. So we could play a few different players at wingback with less defensive responsibility.

------------------Altidore------------------
-------Nagbe-----------------Pulisic------
Johnson---Bradley--Mckennie---Yedlin
-------Besler---Gonzales---Cameron

If Mckenie gets played at Shalke this year he needs to be in the lineup otherwise take the CM of your choice: Acosta, Lletget, Jones, Dax, Klestan

Last edited:
Wood scored on the big stage vs. Mexico unlike Dwyer and Morris. He's more skilled than both Dwyer and Morris. I'd have him out there over either of them unless Morris improves his weak foot. But everybody prefers different styles.

I'd still take Chandler over Zusi who will get absolutely burned against anyone with pace on the wing. Which we will face every game at the World Cup. Zusi is ok vs. most concacaf teams.

As far as left back Lichaj can play there but it's certainly our weakest position. I'm not impressed with Fabian Johnson further up the field. Play him at left back and we have a really strong team.

I really hope we transition to 3-4-3 for the WC. W can play Johnson and Yedlin as wingbacks. And we have more solid cbs than outside backs. So we could play a few different players at wingback with less defensive responsibility.

------------------Altidore------------------
-------Nagbe-----------------Pulisic------
Johnson---Bradley--Mckennie---Yedlin
-------Besler---Gonzales---Cameron

If Mckenie gets ,inured at Shalke this year he needs to be in the lineup otherwise take the CM of your choice: Acosta, Lletget, Jones, Dax, Klestan

I agree. A back 3 makes a lot of sense with this group - it alleviates the individual shortcomings of some of our center backs if they have a little extra support. It also alleviates the problem with our fullbacks if we play a back 4 - by moving them up the field a bit, it gives us defensive flexibility and more offensive intent, especially on the counter. The transition from defense to offense for a counter-attack is improved, IMO, by the use of a back three with wingbacks.

Pulisic creates every goal for Dortmund vs. AC Milan. Looks like the new coach might like him as well

By far the best US player in a long time.

I really hope he gets first team minutes at Dortmund and a Bayern Munich/Man U/PSG type team gets him in the future.

I would be interested in seeing something like this

-----------------------------Altidore------------------------
--------Nagbe--------------Pulisic---------------Arriola--
--------------------Bradley------------McKennie----------
Johnson--------Gonzales----------Cameron------Yedlin

I like Pulisic in the middle with his skills. Players I'm not stuck on in this line up Arriola ( I just like what I saw touch and pass wise as of lately). McKennie ( Haven't seen much but if he gets run in Bundas why not). Johnson & Yedlin ( I like the speed of both and I can't really see anyone I like better. Gonzales & Cameron ( I would love to see some new names to challenge these 2)

Thoughts?

I would be interested in seeing something like this

-----------------------------Altidore------------------------
--------Nagbe--------------Pulisic---------------Arriola--
--------------------Bradley------------McKennie----------
Johnson--------Gonzales----------Cameron------Yedlin

I like Pulisic in the middle with his skills. Players I'm not stuck on in this line up Arriola ( I just like what I saw touch and pass wise as of lately). McKennie ( Haven't seen much but if he gets run in Bundas why not). Johnson & Yedlin ( I like the speed of both and I can't really see anyone I like better. Gonzales & Cameron ( I would love to see some new names to challenge these 2)

Thoughts?

I like it but not sure I like Altidore as a loan striker (even though I did the same thing). His work rate isn't that good. This is where a Wood or Dwyer type my be better.

I think we can do better than Arriola that's why I like the 3 back formation. It allows a Fabian Johnson and Yedlin to play wing back and get another attacker on the field.

Really hope a Mckennie breaks out this year, because we need young legs at CM.

Would play Brooks over Gonzalez

Last edited:
I like it but not sure I like Altidore as a loan striker (even though I did the same thing). His work rate isn't that good. This is where a Wood or Dwyer type my be better.

I think we can do better than Arriola that's why I like the 3 back formation. It allows a Fabian Johnson and Yedlin to play wing back and get another attacker on the field.

I understand the Altidore thing but I feel like if you are are forced to involve him he plays better. He made a couple of tremendous passes which I thought was way better than him trying to use touch.

Arriola I'm not sold on but I was impressed with his touch and how he kept the ball close to him and I felt like his crosses were pretty good. It was one of those things where to me it just seem like when he crossed it chaos happened.

Thanks for the feed back. I can't find a ton of people to banter about soccer.

I understand the Altidore thing but I feel like if you are are forced to involve him he plays better. He made a couple of tremendous passes which I thought was way better than him trying to use touch.

Arriola I'm not sold on but I was impressed with his touch and how he kept the ball close to him and I felt like his crosses were pretty good. It was one of those things where to me it just seem like when he crossed it chaos happened.

Thanks for the feed back. I can't find a ton of people to banter about soccer.

Agreed I think Altidore is our best striker based on recent form. He seems to combine well with Pulisic. Some believe he's gotten better in that aspect from playing alongside Giovinco at Toronto.

I think Eric Palmer Brown is the next up and coming CB/CDM. He will be picked up by a euro club very soon and I think could challenge at CB. Prolly not for Russia though

By far the best US player in a long time.

I really hope he gets first team minutes at Dortmund and a Bayern Munich/Man U/PSG type team gets him in the future.

You mean CHELSEA, don't you??? ;-)

I agree with most of this. Altadore is more effective when he has someone to combine with. That will likely be Deuce until Russia is over.

That's why I agree that a 3-5-2 suits this team well. It also shores up our defense, where we have some talented guys, but Brooks, in particular, tends to switch off at times. Having a third center back provides an insurance policy against that. Just look at David Luiz at Chelsea. Moving to a back three allowed him to take those chances and usually not get burned for it, since he had 2 other guys to cover him.

I agree with the idea that Fabian Johnson and Yedlin would thrive more as wing backs that pure fullbacks.

You weren't impressed by Kellyn Acosta as a holding midfielder? I thought we was terrific. I guess we are going to be playing Bradley as one of our defensive mids, but I think the best overall defense would be Cameron and Acosta as the shield for Brooks, Gonzalez and either Matt Hedges or Eric Lichaj as the third center back. (I realize that Lichaj usually plays right back, but he is fairly tall - 5-11 - and could play on the right side of the back three, like Chelsea does with Azpilicueta.)

Pulisic is going to be our #10 for years to come. Nagbe gives us pace and tricky ball skills in tight spaces. Not sure who the last attacking mid would be at this point. Bradley turns the ball over too much. I sort of can't wait for him to be phased out of the squad. He's tough, but he makes so many mistakes.

Last edited:
I agree with most of this. Altadore is more effective when he has someone to combine with. That will likely be Deuce until Russia is over.

That's why I agree that a 3-5-2 suits this team well. It also shores up our defense, where we have some talented guys, but Brooks, in particular, tends to switch off at times. Having a third center back provides an insurance policy against that. Just look at David Luiz at Chelsea. Moving to a back three allowed him to take those chances and usually not get burned for it, since he had 2 other guys to cover him.

I agree with the idea that Fabian Johnson and Yedlin would thrive more as wing backs that pure fullbacks.

You weren't impressed by Kellyn Acosta as a holding midfielder? I thought we was terrific. I guess we are going to be playing Bradley as one of our defensive mids, but I think the best overall defense would be Cameron and Acosta as the shield for Brooks, Gonzalez and either Matt Hedges or Eric Lichaj as the third center back. (I realize that Lichaj usually plays right back, but he is fairly tall - 5-11 - and could play on the right side of the back three, like Chelsea does with Azpilicueta.)

Pulisic is going to be our #10 for years to come. Nagbe gives us pace and tricky ball skills in tight spaces. Not sure who the last attacking mid would be at this point. Bradley turns the ball over too much. I sort of can't wait for him to be phased out of the squad. He's tough, but he makes so many mistakes.

I thought Acosta played really well. I just haven't seen him play much in general. I don't dislike 5 in the back but I think I like the idea of Pulisic in the middle better. The other thing to me is I feel like we are inconsistent building from the back and moving forward. I would love to see use try these line ups.

I thought Acosta played really well. I just haven't seen him play much in general. I don't dislike 5 in the back but I think I like the idea of Pulisic in the middle better. The other thing to me is I feel like we are inconsistent building from the back and moving forward. I would love to see use try these line ups.

That's why we are so much better with Nagbe - he's that guy who can carry the ball out of the back and get us into the attack. A classic box-to-box midfielder. Zardes also could kind of fill this role, or partner as the third midfield with Nagbe and Pulisic, but he's a bit inconsistent with the ball and too often fails to have an end product.

That's why we are so much better with Nagbe - he's that guy who can carry the ball out of the back and get us into the attack. A classic box-to-box midfielder. Zardes also could kind of fill this role, or partner as the third midfield with Nagbe and Pulisic, but he's a bit inconsistent with the ball and too often fails to have an end product.

Agreed. I feel like both Yedlin and Zardes have good pace but just as you said inconsistent touch. That is sorta the reason I put Arriola in there he doesn't have the pace as those but he seems quick and I really like some of the passes and things he did with the ball. I feel he keeps the ball closer than Zardes. I think we have some interesting pieces and hope Bruce can bring it together.

Just change the 3-4-3 to a 3-5-2 if you want Pulisic completely central and underneath two strikers. But the 2 attackers outside the striker in a 3-4-3 often drift inside to allow the wing backs to provide width. It's where he plays most for Dortmund.

3-4-3
------------Altidore---------
-----Nagbe--------Pulsic-----

3-5-2

---------Altidore----Dempsey
----------------Pulisic-------------
Johnson--Bradley-Acosta--Yedlin
---Brooks--Gonzalez--Cameron--

3-5-2 Pulisic as second striker

------------Altidore---------------------
---------------------Pulisic-------------
------Nagbe------------------------

Take you pick Besler or Gonzalez. Push Cameron to Acosta's spot and add another CB

Last edited:
Just change the 3-4-3 to a 3-5-2 if you want Pulisic completely central and underneath two strikers. But the 2 attackers outside the striker in a 3-4-3 often drift inside to allow the wing backs to provide width. It's where he plays most for Dortmund.

3-4-3
------------Altidore---------
-----Nagbe--------Pulsic-----

3-5-2

---------Altidore----Dempsey
----------------Pulisic-------------

3-5-2 Pulisic as second striker

------------Altidore---------------------
---------------------Pulisic-------------
------Nagbe------------------------

Take you pick Besler or Gonzalez. Push Cameron to Acosta's spot and add another CB

I think your 3-4-3 could be the future, but I think your 3-5-2 is what we may see in Russia.

El Salvador's up 1-0 based on their awesome national anthem alone. That was cool. Need a big W from the boys tonight

Lichaj has already mishit two balls in 3 minutes.
Give me Chandler or Yedlin all day over this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.