USMNT soccer team thread | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very surprised at no Timmy Chandler with Yedlin out with injury. Guess we will be seeing Zusi...

On both goals, Cameron and Ream were split wide open by a single pass to a lone striker. Brutal. And, on the second one, Cameron started their drive to goal with what seemed his 5th or 6th unforced turnover.

Costa Rica pressed high, crowded Bradley and made Cameron and Ream into distributors. Bravo Costa Rica. Well done. Those of you who have been banging the Cameron-in-for-Bradley at the 6 may want to reconsider. His distribution was awful.

In fact, those of you who continue to crap all over Bradley have now seen what his potential replacements are: Acosta, Jones, McCarty, Cameron. It ain't even close so give it a rest.

Pulisic has to realize that anytime he tries to make a 1 v 1 move in a non-threatening area, he is going to get hacked. He needs to receive and release until he gets the ball in the final 3rd. That way, if he gets hacked, he sets up a dangerous set piece opportunity rather than a free kick 40 or 50 yards from goal. And concacaf refs certainly don't help matters any.

We are so used to having the best keeper on the field, we get spoiled. Usually, it has been Howard making the other-worldly save.

When you watch a game and Zusi is your best defender, it is likely not a good game. We have to go with 2 #6s to protect the back four and especially the two center backs...

I thought the game was closer than the scoreline but it was not a good game for the US.

I stick with Cameron. he had a bad game but he has had a lot of good ones. FJ, TR come off. Besler and Acosta on. Go with a 4-5-1 with Wood as lone striker, Pulisic higher up the pitch and more central and Bedoya on to be a workhorse on the right and help Zusi...Or, have FJ replace Villafana who was also not good...

I know we haven't had a lot of success with a lone striker but in 90 degree mid-afternoon heat on a field resembling a lava flow, I have to think we are playing for a point...

On both goals, Cameron and Ream were split wide open by a single pass to a lone striker. Brutal. And, on the second one, Cameron started their drive to goal with what seemed his 5th or 6th unforced turnover.

Costa Rica pressed high, crowded Bradley and made Cameron and Ream into distributors. Bravo Costa Rica. Well done. Those of you who have been banging the Cameron-in-for-Bradley at the 6 may want to reconsider. His distribution was awful.

In fact, those of you who continue to crap all over Bradley have now seen what his potential replacements are: Acosta, Jones, McCarty, Cameron. It ain't even close so give it a rest.

Pulisic has to realize that anytime he tries to make a 1 v 1 move in a non-threatening area, he is going to get hacked. He needs to receive and release until he gets the ball in the final 3rd. That way, if he gets hacked, he sets up a dangerous set piece opportunity rather than a free kick 40 or 50 yards from goal. And concacaf refs certainly don't help matters any.

We are so used to having the best keeper on the field, we get spoiled. Usually, it has been Howard making the other-worldly save.

When you watch a game and Zusi is your best defender, it is likely not a good game. We have to go with 2 #6s to protect the back four and especially the two center backs...

I thought the game was closer than the scoreline but it was not a good game for the US.

I stick with Cameron. he had a bad game but he has had a lot of good ones. FJ, TR come off. Besler and Acosta on. Go with a 4-5-1 with Wood as lone striker, Pulisic higher up the pitch and more central and Bedoya on to be a workhorse on the right and help Zusi...Or, have FJ replace Villafana who was also not good...

I know we haven't had a lot of success with a lone striker but in 90 degree mid-afternoon heat on a field resembling a lava flow, I have to think we are playing for a point...

To your first point, I have no idea why we are splitting CBS wide when we aren't playing out the back. On the first goal if Howard was going to hit it up field why are both CBs as wide as FBs. Ugly.

Bradley has his issues but we certainly don't have anyone else currently to play that role. He really does need a partner though against any team that is any good. Acosta hasn't impressed me. My bets are on Bedoya for tonight.

Pulisic would greatly benefit from having Yedlin or a FB to overlap that is actually a threat going forward (not Zusi at this point in his career).

Not sure if Cameron and ream have ever played together? Not sure why we started that now. Wouldn't surprise me to see Omar and Besler at CB with Cameron at a FB spot tonight.

People in the know saying 4-5 changes likely.

Pulisic would greatly benefit from having Yedlin or a FB to overlap that is actually a threat going forward (not Zusi at this point in his career).

Excellent point. Concur 100%. At Dortmund, he does a ton of cutting inside off the overlap and can either take it to the 18 or spray it back wide.

USA really need a draw here.
25 minutes in 1-0. Honduras
Possession has been close to 50/50.

Demarcus Beasley still being called in is crazy. He looks hurt after that tackle.

I dont know a lot about soccer but is this the best the US can do with a population of 300+ million? Where the heck is the defense, these guys are brutally bad. Where is Chandler? Pulisic and Dempsey seem like the only legit players. Guzan over Howard? What?

Guzan struggling to even kick the ball straight, brutally bad.

I dont know a lot about soccer but is this the best the US can do with a population of 300+ million? Where the heck is the defense, these guys are brutally bad. Where is Chandler? Pulisic and Dempsey seem like the only legit players. Guzan over Howard? What?
Our best athlete aren't playing soccer.

Pulisic is the best prospect since Landon Donovan.

We have some young defenders like Cameron Carter-Vickers who are close to becoming players.
We lost our best centerback John David Brooks to injury.

Our players are fit and athletic they lack skills. Our academies need to practice more skill.

Guzan over Howard has to be playing the guzan got a draw at Azteca try it again.

We are getting dominated right now.

Beasley and Zusi are so damn slow.

We need some speed in the lineup to help the midfield.

Beasley and Zusi are so damn slow.

We need some speed in the lineup to help the midfield.

Speed difference is night and day. Beasley has to be like 40 years old at this point I remember him from the 2010 world cup.

It's almost like this team has the Mexico syndrome. For the last ~16 years or so, the US team has been better than the sum or its parts. For whatever reason, this team just hasn't gelled in qualifying. Our midfield is not a disruptive as it usually is. We lack athleticism across the backline. We haven't been as dangerous on set pieces. It's just not a classically American squad in qualifying. We're obviously one of the most talented teams in CONCACAF, but it's just not working. I think part of it may be we are grossly thin in a few positions that has a carry-on effect with positioning on defense.

Beasley looks like he needs a walker to get back on defense every time he crosses midfield.

Sad fact: He's not our worst defender.

Your not gonna get a call on the road but man this officiating is terrible.

It's almost like this team has the Mexico syndrome. For the last ~16 years or so, the US team has been better than the sum or its parts. For whatever reason, this team just hasn't gelled in qualifying. Our midfield is not a disruptive as it usually is. We lack athleticism across the backline. We haven't been as dangerous on set pieces. It's just not a classically American squad in qualifying. We're obviously one of the most talented teams in CONCACAF, but it's just not working. I think part of it may be we are grossly thin in a few positions that has a carry-on effect with positioning on defense.

Think your comments are spot on, just seems like the US looks lost out there at times and doesn't have the flash/skill you see from the really good European or Latin American teams. The lack of scorers is really apparent to I mean outside of Pulisic and Dempsey the US struggles to maintain possession less get a good look. Just shockign this is the best that we have. I mean Jozy Altidore still being a main cog is mind boggling.

Brutal performance so far. When is Bruce going to realize Zusi is a liability. Especially next to Gonzo, wow. We won't win this game, lucky if we draw. Morris starting FFS. Nagbe no effort so far.

Fab Johnson is a FB idc what he says. We have Fab Johnson (arguably one of the best FB at 2014 WC)... ON THE BENCH! Starting Zusi and Beasley. What.

Central midfield blows, Dempsey does not have the work rate to play CAM. Bradley and Acosta are not keeping possession.

END RANT

I remember him from 2002!
Didn't he score off a corner kick against Portugal in 2002?

I remember getting up super early for that game and watching the US hold on against Portugal.

Beasley looks like he needs a walker to get back on defense every time he crosses midfield.

Sad fact: He's not our worst defender.
It's been Zusi by far. Beasley is just killing the midfield forcing them to play deeper.

Not to worry, guys. We got Wondo on the bench to turn to if things get really bad.
wondo-miss1.nocrop.w536.h2147483647.gif

Can't believe Im saying this but sub on Bedoya.. we need some effort to help shield our absolute crap FBs

I'm so confused about Arena's tactics. This back four is an absolute embarrassment and there's no ability to play through the midfield. We were getting tiki-taka'd by HONDURAS for 20 minutes of the first half.

Four quick halftime thoughts:

DMB is not one of the top-3 American LBs in the MLS, there's no reason that he should be playing internationally.

Miazga was better than Gonzalez when he was a 20 year-old playing domestically. He's now starting on a Dutch team in great form. Let's hope he gets a look soon.

We need to avoid injuries if we make it out of qualifying.

CP10 is not a selfish player, but he's playing like one a little bit. I hope he re-finds his game this second half.

Didn't he score off a corner kick against Portugal in 2002?

I remember getting up super early for that game and watching the US hold on against Portugal.

That was John O'Brien with a left-footed volley.

Status
Not open for further replies.