USMNT soccer team thread | Page 65 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My young roster moving forward. Immediately start grooming talent for 2022, find out what works and what doesn't.

-----------Wood----Sargent----------
-----------------Pulisic-----------------
--Roldan---Mckennie---Gonzalez
Villa------Brooks---Miazga-----Yedlin
-------------------Horvath--------------

Starters:

Wood - 24 - Experience works hard plays in Bundesliga
Sargent - 17 - headed to the Bundesliga
Pulisic - 19 - best player Bundesliga
Roldan - 22 - playing well for Seattle, has great potential with some bite, MLS
Mckennie - 19 - getting starts for Schalke, Bundesliga
Gonzalez - 18 - starting for the best team in LigaMX, team of the week appearances
Villafaña - 28 - need a replacement, Liga MX
Brooks - 24 - will be in prime at next World Cup, Bundesliga
Miazga - 22 - plays for Vitesse, Dutch league
Yedlin - 24 - starter in the BPL
Horvath - 22 - Belgium league

Reserves:

Hyndman - 21 - Bournemouth
Carleton - 17 - Atlanta United
Gooch - 21 - Sunderland
Tyler Adams - 18 - NY Red Bull's
CCV - 19 - loan from Tottenham
Steffen - 22 - Columbus Crew
Jesse Gonzales - 22 - Dallas FC
Arriola - 22 - D.C. United
Haji Wright - 19 - Loan from Schalke
Danny Williams - 28 - Huddersfield Town, BPL
Lletget - 25 - LA Galaxy

My young roster moving forward. Immediately start grooming talent for 2022, find out what works and what doesn't.

Starters:

Gonzalez - 18 - starting for the best team in LigaMX, team of the week appearances

Reserves:

Gooch - 21 - Sunderland
Lletget - 25 - LA Galaxy

Love the inclusion of Roldan! He really showed some diversity last night playing more disruptive than he's normally called upon to do. He really should be a nice addition to the team in the next cycle. I think he'd work great in your lineup because he let's players play off of him very naturally -- I think it has to do with how good he is with the ball in tight spaces -- and that could really help out Pulisic.

Tyler Adams is gonna provide a lot of diversity for the team. I talk about the kid all the time, but in the first half tonight and the elimination game last week, he's been excellent. I feel we are watching a career take off right now. He's good in defense, smooth on the ball, tough, and really smart in possession for an 18 year old.

One player to keep an eye on is Tim Weah. He should be 20/21/22 -- somewhere around there next world cup. Training at one of the top clubs in the world can't hurt either, as well as being the son of the one-time greatest player in the game. PSG has been doing a lot right recently.

A name that doesn't pop up too often, but maybe should is Matthew Olosunde (sp?). The only reason I say that is because he had been making a position for himself in the Man U U-23 defense. I think he may currently be injured, but he's 19 and him getting playing time has gotta be a pretty good sign. I know nothing else about him, but I like the pedigree.

Other than that, if we are looking for our next Donovan/Beasley 2002 roles, we have 2 youths at Barca, including one of their top prospects, and a handful of dual-nationals at Bayern -- all who should be in the 18-20 range come 2022. I think the Bayern kids may be leaning Deutch, but one can hope.

I don't like Steffen as much as many do -- especially after his monster performance against ATL (he also had a mixed bag of brilliant saves and boneheaded plays against NYCFC the game prior). We are going to be looking for consistency in the back this cycle. For me, he's made way too many boneheaded plays this year to earn his spot. He has potential and should be really maturing in the next 4 years, but I like quite a few 24 to 28 year-old keepers more than him right now.

Now, I'll give you my unpopular opinion. I don't think Jordan Morris should be written off yet. This year, for both club and country, he's regressed. But I'll point to his 2016 club campaign to show he does have promise. He's on the opposite end of the spectrum from our golden boy Pulisic in nearly every aspect of the game. He's a brute athlete, he's not smooth, he has terrible form in most things he does, but I've watched him do a lot of nice things on the soccer field. He scores in a variety of ways, he is better with the ball at his feet than people give him credit for, I think he moves defenders well off of the ball and does make nice runs when he catches defenders out of position. He was definitely a big part of Deuce's resurgence in 2016. He's got a lot to prove to get back in the picture, but I just can't write him off yet, based on prior results.

Giovinco just hit a nasty free kick too! After opening night, there have been some good games in the MLS playoffs recently if you haven't been paying attention!

Last edited:
Love the inclusion of Roldan! He really showed some diversity last night playing more disruptive than he's normally called upon to do. He really should be a nice addition to the team in the next cycle. I think he'd work great in your lineup because he let's players play off of him very naturally -- I think it has to do with how good he is with the ball in tight spaces -- and that could really help out Pulisic.

Tyler Adams is gonna provide a lot of diversity for the team. I talk about the kid all the time, but in the first half tonight and the elimination game last week, he's been excellent. I feel we are watching a career take off right now. He's good in defense, smooth on the ball, tough, and really smart in possession for an 18 year old.

One player to keep an eye on is Tim Weah. He should be 20/21/22 -- somewhere around there next world cup. Training at one of the top clubs in the world can't hurt either, as well as being the son of the one-time greatest player in the game. PSG has been doing a lot right recently.

A name that doesn't pop up too often, but maybe should is Matthew Olosunde (sp?). The only reason I say that is because he had been making a position for himself in the Man U U-23 defense. I think he may currently be injured, but he's 19 and him getting playing time has gotta be a pretty good sign. I know nothing else about him, but I like the pedigree.

Other than that, if we are looking for our next Donovan/Beasley 2002 roles, we have 2 youths at Barca, including one of their top prospects, and a handful of dual-nationals at Bayern -- all who should be in the 18-20 range come 2022. I think the Bayern kids may be leaning Deutch, but one can hope.

I don't like Steffen as much as many do -- especially after his monster performance against ATL (he also had a mixed bag of brilliant saves and boneheaded plays against NYCFC the game prior). We are going to be looking for consistency in the back this cycle. For me, he's made way too many boneheaded plays this year to earn his spot. He has potential and should be really maturing in the next 4 years, but I like quite a few 24 to 28 year-old keepers more than him right now.

Now, I'll give you my unpopular opinion. I don't think Jordan Morris should be written off yet. This year, for both club and country, he's regressed. But I'll point to his 2016 club campaign to show he does have promise. He's on the opposite end of the spectrum from our golden boy Pulisic in nearly every aspect of the game. He's a brute athlete, he's not smooth, he has terrible form in most things he does, but I've watched him do a lot of nice things on the soccer field. He scores in a variety of ways, he is better with the ball at his feet than people give him credit for, I think he moves defenders well off of the ball and does make nice runs when he catches defenders out of position. He was definitely a big part of Deuce's resurgence in 2016. He's got a lot to prove to get back in the picture, but I just can't write him off yet, based on prior results.

Giovinco just hit a nasty free kick too! After opening night, there have been some good games in the MLS playoffs recently if you haven't been paying attention!

Yea Tim Weah at PSG could definitely e added to the list. So many young talents coming up through the ranks, left many promising ones off my list.

Forgot about Morris he certainly should have a role.

Been loving the MLS playoffs so far.

The rest of the world has to catch up with the MLS (and a couple other leagues) -- VAR is so good for the league. I'm loving that the US is a trend setter here.

Starters:

Reserves:

Gooch - 21 - Sunderland
Lletget - 25 - LA Galaxy
Can't disagree with most of it. However I wasn't impressed with Roldan when he played in the gold cup against pretty inferior teams. I also think Villafana brings nothing to the table.

Can't disagree with most of it. However I wasn't impressed with Roldan when he played in the gold cup against pretty inferior teams. I also think Villafana brings nothing to the table.

I'd certainly have another left back if we had another one. Name me one please haha.

I think Roldan played one game in the gold cup needs some time to mesh with the right teammates. You could slot Danny Williams in there or Lletget when healthy.

h
Whatever happened to Aron Johanssen?
He gor hurt for a year I think the year before last and he has never really regained his form since then. Werder Bremen doesn't really want him anymore.

He's probably going to need to come to MLS to resurrect his career. Pretty sad because on his day he was pretty dynamic.

Tata turned us down. Would have been an interesting choice.

h
He gor hurt for a year I think the year before last and he has never really regained his form since then. Werder Bremen doesn't really want him anymore.

He's probably going to need to come to MLS to resurrect his career. Pretty sad because on his day he was pretty dynamic.
Got in the match with only a few minutes left tonight. He hasn't been good for SVWB since the injury, but the team has been terrible and in relegation zone (which is bad for Sargent). Need to turn it around quickly

BVB lost to Bayern 3-1 in the klassiker but Pulisic had a good game. Good enough that many are saying he will be moving on to a better team soon.

Matthaus saying post game he should be Bayerns Robben/Ribery replacement. Had a cheeky meg on Robben to escape a double team in the corner leading to Dortmunds only goal. There are clips going around I'm sure you can find.

BVB lost to Bayern 3-1 in the klassiker but Pulisic had a good game. Good enough that many are saying he will be moving on to a better team soon.

Matthaus saying post game he should be Bayerns Robben/Ribery replacement. Had a cheeky meg on Robben to escape a double team in the corner leading to Dortmunds only goal. There are clips going around I'm sure you can find.
First true American world class star. I hope he goes where he get playing time. The super teams have a lot of allure but sitting on their bench won’t help him too much.

Liverpool could be interesting if countinho bails to Barca... It would be interesting to see where Klopp would play him, forward or midfielder.

Bayern would be going into the fire. He would need to fight every day for his spot. Might not get the worst thing but it must be a grind.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...rs-for-friendly-against-third-ranked-portugal

Love the roster, but for the forwards. Not a lot of 'up and comers' to choose from at this level yet -- I have a feeling we'll have a lot of 20-22 year old players that we'll need to rely on in our attack next cycle.

Sounds like Horvath has had a dip in form and has been benched in the Jupiler (is it still called that?), so it'll be interesting to see who gets the shot in goal. Whomever gets the call, it's a nice opportunity to get a leg up on the competition for a wide open position.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...rs-for-friendly-against-third-ranked-portugal

Love the roster, but for the forwards. Not a lot of 'up and comers' to choose from at this level yet -- I have a feeling we'll have a lot of 20-22 year old players that we'll need to rely on in our attack next cycle.

Sounds like Horvath has had a dip in form and has been benched in the Jupiler (is it still called that?), so it'll be interesting to see who gets the shot in goal. Whomever gets the call, it's a nice opportunity to get a leg up on the competition for a wide open position.

Wood is 24. He will be the guy until a younger player emerges. Wouldn't mind playing Pulisic as the second striker under Wood.

Decent call-up. Unfortunately no Jona Gonzales but he has important club match coming up.

Anyone else catch the NASL Finals? Fairly entertaining and maybe the last of its kind.

Just watched Sweden/Italy play to a 0-0 draw, Sweden wins on aggregate 1-0.

It’s bad that we didn’t qualify for the World Cup... but the narrative out of Italy is going to be brutal re: their national squad. UEFA and CONMEBOL are a gauntlet.

Just watched Sweden/Italy play to a 0-0 draw, Sweden wins on aggregate 1-0.

It’s bad that we didn’t qualify for the World Cup... but the narrative out of Italy is going to be brutal re: their national squad. UEFA and CONMEBOL are a gauntlet.
Italy was in Spain’s group in UEFA that is a brutal draw.
They should have beaten Sweden but Italy got screwed with their group draw.
In UEFA qualifying Wales was seeded and Italy wasn’t.
That is why Italy getting Spain as their seeded team was a bad draw.

Wales had been on the up... even if Bale was out of the squad through injury they would seem to find a result. It was a tough break for the Azzurri.

Seems like everyone is playing for second place anyway... Germany looks to be a machine at the moment and heavy favorites.

True but, if you are Italy, you should not care whom you have to play...

And there is no excuse for losing to Sweden.

The Italians have a lot of issues. They are not producing the same quality player that they have historically. This is far, and away, their biggest problem.

Their most talented player (Balotelli) hasn't been called into the squad since the World Cup. And their most in-form player (Insignie) never saw the field against Sweden.

They also don't schedule their friendlies, or put the effort into those friendlies, to maximize their ranking.

Conte was an exceptional coach who made a mediocre team much better than the sum of its parts.

Ventura took a mediocre team and made it worse than the sum of its parts.

I love the World Cup but, ex the US and Italy, it just won't be the same for me. Like March Madness without SU...

All it took for the US to field a team full of young and athletic players was missing the World Cup...
IMG_0829.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.