USMNT soccer team thread | Page 67 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw his all touches vid. Impressive especially at 6'4. A midfield of Parks, Mckennie, and Gonzales in a 4-3-3 would be the dream assuming they can continue to improve. That would allow Pulisic to focus solely on attacking. Maybe even from the wing.

Do you have a link for that highlight video?

He's the same player he was when he couldn't establish himself at Juve for 10 seasons (Exceptional for MLS -- pretty good for a big 5 Euro league), except he's become elite (in my opinion) standing over freekicks within 30 yards of goals -- it's really remarkable how awesome he's become.

In fairness to him he was out on two different loan spells for the first half of that decade before coming back to Juve in 2012.

Interestingly, Conte was going to bring him into the national team side for qulaifying in 15 but Giovinco got hurt. Then Conte made the comment about the consequences of playing in a lesser league as the reason for leaving him out of the Euro side.

Steffen and Bono might get a shot with the Nats.

Steffen just saved a peno vs. Toronto. 0-0 on agg

I think Steffen is only like 23 or something. He was prone to a lot of bone headed plays this year (including one on the last matchday that cost his team homefield in the opening round of the playoffs -- not that it matters now), but if he cuts them out like he's been doing in the playoffs he'll be a great option.

It's still tough to see how much better Melia, Sean Johnson, and Stefan Frei (who I believe is eligible for the US) were at shot stopping than Howard this year, yet Tim got the call-up continuously before it finally came back to bite us in the ass in TnT.

And for anyone interested -- we have 30 minutes left in the Eastern Conference finals. We're all tied up. This gets extremely exciting.

Couple prospects showcasing tonight in SEA/HOU.

Side note: Sounders games are among my favorite non-home team experiences. I've been out for a few Sounders/Timbers games and Dempsey's unveiling. Stadium location, pre-/post-game activities, and access to the stadium are top notch. It's great, cheap entertainment if you find yourself in Seattle.

World Cup draw
Wow did Russia get a cupcake group.
Only one really tough group
Brazil
Switzerland
Costa Rica
Serbia

Switching the pods to seeding really balanced it out which is good.

World Cup draw
Wow did Russia get a cupcake group.
Only one really tough group
Brazil
Switzerland
Costa Rica
Serbia

Switching the pods to seeding really balanced it out which is good.

People are gonna start thinking Russia rigged the drawing with what they got.

I also don't think Mexico is going to be happy fighting it out with Sweden (+Zlatan) and a well organized Korean team to see who advances with Germany.

They also play those teams exactly how you don't want them to -- WC favorites looking to start off hot, then an organized SK team who may be fighting for a point to stay alive by their second game, and going up against their biggest threat to advance with Zlatan back to close out group play.

That's probably as bad of a draw as they could have hoped for.

I also don't think Mexico is going to be happy fighting it out with Sweden (+Zlatan) and a well organized Korean team to see who advances with Germany.

They also play those teams exactly how you don't want them to -- WC favorites looking to start off hot, then an organized SK team who may be fighting for a point to stay alive by their second game, and going up against their biggest threat to advance with Zlatan back to close out group play.

I think Mexico will eek out 2nd but it won’t be easy.
They have more talent than Sweden.

Russia will get to knockout round and lose to Portugal-Spain 2nd place team.

This new draw really spread the groups out.
The USA if they were in Panama’s spot would have gotten. Belgium-England-Tunisia in that order.
Doubtful we would have advanced.

This new draw really spread the groups out.
The USA if they were in Panama’s spot would have gotten. Belgium-England-Tunisia in that order.
Doubtful we would have advanced.

I’ve been lurking on this thread but admit I’m not a soccer expert by any means. I do follow the US National Team though and was thoroughly disappointed with their performance leading to this missed opportunity. For all you experts here, what should be the goal for this team for 2022? Is making the World Cup enough? Do they have to advance to the knockout stage or further? How about by 2026, especially if the US hosts it?

I’ve been lurking on this thread but admit I’m not a soccer expert by any means. I do follow the US National Team though and was thoroughly disappointed with their performance leading to this missed opportunity. For all you experts here, what should be the goal for this team for 2022? Is making the World Cup enough? Do they have to advance to the knockout stage or further? How about by 2026, especially if the US hosts it?
I always say when we make a World Cup with our talent the goal should be knockout round.
Get to the Final 16 and the USA has done enough.
We don’t have the talent of the top teams.
Thus if you get to a knockout round it’s just a punchers chance.
Like in 2014 Belgium has way more talent but Howard played out of his mind and if Wondo could have executed what 90% of the time should be executed the Americans beat Belgium.

Until we host in 2026 I don’t expect to make major damage in a WC.
Talent needs to be developed to compete for a World title.

Failures qualifying for the Olympics, failure winning contested World Cup bids, failure qualifying for the WC...

Crazy Sunil isn't running...

Praise Jesus (or whomever your god is).

MLS announced a huge increase in allocation money (AKA Garberbucks) today. Teams will be able to spend $4M more per year on salaries.

The nice thing is that it will undoubtedly increase the quality of play in the league. Teams will be able to target several first-division-European-caliber players with this money.

Critics of the league won't like that bigger contracts may entice younger domestic players to stay home instead of head overseas. The MLS will also develop stronger Latin American players, like the Kendal Watsons of the world, who helped bury our World Cup chances, by raising all ships with the tide.

All-in-all though, a great move. There's not a world power out there that doesn't have a good domestic league. I see this being a step in the right direction.

Also in great news, 20 year-old American midfielder Keaton Parks signed a contract with Benfica with a 40M (!!!) EUR release clause. They must think very highly of him!

Last edited:
See I am watching this MLS Cup and Toronto just scored but the quality of play just isn’t there.
I want MLS to be a good league but it’s just Seattle in a shell and Toronto hammering them and finally scoring.
Seattle was playing for a shootout.

MLS announced a huge increase in allocation money (AKA Garberbucks) today. Teams will be able to spend $4M more per year on salaries.

The nice thing is that it will undoubtedly increase the quality of play in the league. Teams will be able to target several first-division-European-caliber players with this money.

Critics of the league won't like that bigger contracts may entice younger domestic players to stay home instead of head overseas. The MLS will also develop stronger Latin American players, like the Kendal Watsons of the world, who helped bury our World Cup chances, by raising all ships with the tide.

All-in-all though, a great move. There's not a world power out there that doesn't have a good domestic league. I see this being a step in the right direction.

Also in great news, 20 year-old American midfielder Keaton Parks signed a contract with Benfica with a 40M (!!!) EUR release clause. They must think very highly of him!

Excited to see what Keaton can do.

Good nucleus of young Americans playing abroad. Just wish we could've eeked in the WC a lot of these guys are just a year too late.

A couple of developments in the domestic league since the compensation changes.

Darlington Nagbe moves to ATL to create what may become the greatest attack in MLS history -- as long as Almiron sticks around another year before going to an elite European team. NYCFC has signed the defender of the year in Sweden's top tier -- exactly the type of signing we need when competing with our peers for league recognition on the international stage. Additionally, the league is going HARD after highly regarded 18-22 year old prospects from underdeveloped nations (like Venezuela).

Just 7 or 8 years ago this was a league with teams only trading bench players amongst its teams hoping to find the guys that everyone else overlooked, now we are seeing much bigger and better investments in talent. It's really a nice step in the right direction.

A couple of developments in the domestic league since the compensation changes.

Darlington Nagbe moves to ATL to create what may become the greatest attack in MLS history -- as long as Almiron sticks around another year before going to an elite European team. NYCFC has signed the defender of the year in Sweden's top tier -- exactly the type of signing we need when competing with our peers for league recognition on the international stage. Additionally, the league is going HARD after highly regarded 18-22 year old prospects from underdeveloped nations (like Venezuela).

Just 7 or 8 years ago this was a league with teams only trading bench players amongst its teams hoping to find the guys that everyone else overlooked, now we are seeing much bigger and better investments in talent. It's really a nice step in the right direction.
Unfortunately this is going to hurt the USMNT as our player development is going to take even more of a hit. Clubs will raid mid-tier euro/latam leagues for talent instead of developing homegrown us players. The EPL is proof that the more money a league has the worse off its national team is because player development takes a back seat to results.

Unfortunately this is going to hurt the USMNT as our player development is going to take even more of a hit. Clubs will raid mid-tier euro/latam leagues for talent instead of developing homegrown us players. The EPL is proof that the more money a league has the worse off its national team is because player development takes a back seat to results.

LOL - I'd kill for England's "lack of talent"

Pulisic scored in the 88th minute to get Dortmund there 2nd W In a row after Bosz was let go. One touched a lob through ball over the keeper and then proceeded to finish with the left.

Pulisic scored in the 88th minute to get Dortmund there 2nd W In a row after Bosz was let go. One touched a lob through ball over the keeper and then proceeded to finish with the left.

Just FILTHY.

For those that didn’t see it:

Zlatan retired from International football a year ago.

Zlatan retired from International football a year ago.

Until you posted this, I swore that he was coming back -- I must have seen a headline of his rumored return and taken it as fact.

Edit: It was definitely the buzz after his Zweden tweet that set off the rumors.

Eric Lichaj had the day of his life in the FA Cup today as he scored two goals (and this stunner) as they thrashed the Gunners 4-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.