USMNT soccer team thread | Page 69 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for sharing!

I have to call Arena's BS on point 2 though.

Against Portugal, we started Frankie Hejduk, Tony Sanneh, and Jeff Agoos. Greg Berhalter later filled in for Agoos and Carlos Llamosa also got some run in later games. Our defense pool is much better now than 2002. There were times in that tournament that both Claudio Reyna and Pablo Mastroeni dropped back into the defensive line and we played 6 straight across the back to cover for the lack of defensive talent. You also have to look at guys like Joe Max Moore, Eddie Lewis, and Josh Wolfe and think that Altidore, Wood, Dempsey and obviously Pulisic would have taken a bit of their time or forced a lineup change that moved them to the end of the bench.

What the 2002 team had was composition in the center of midfield, Mastroeni playing the role of destroyer perfectly, two surprise stars, organization defensively that we haven't seen since, and a little bit of luck (which I attribute to Clint Mathis' mohawk). They didn't have decisively more talent except for maybe Eddie Pope in his prime, Friedel between the pipes, and the Reyna/JOB midfield pairing.
No mention of Mcbride and Donovan in that World Cup, and love him or hate him, Donovan has been the best field player in the World cup for us, and stats bear me out. The Mexico and Germany games that team was brilliant, and a missed hand ball call may have kept that team out of the Semi finals. ( Ok brilliant might be a strong word, but pretty damn good )

Just got back from the United Soccer Coaches Convention in Philly on Sunday. Went and saw one on one with Bruce Arena. Of note from the hour long dialogue
1. The team did not lack effort against Tand T but some of the lesser players felt the pressure (choked)
2. Only one player from the T and T game would have started for the 2002 WC team. The obvious point being something is going wrong.
3. The pay to play climate of American Youth Soccer is not a problem. ( This point I very much disagree with , based on my experience coaching in a economically depressed district)

"Lesser players" who shouldn't have even been in the squad let alone the starting XI. Embarrassing.

Woof:

Absolutely shocking stuff coming out of USSF. Listened to the podcast with Herc about this. Just unbelievable.

-One full time scout with 150MM surplus. Lol.
-Rongen states going to Gonzales house 3 times, flat out lie
-The way in which the U20 coach contacted Gonzales back in the day certainly didn't help matters either.

College sports teams have more eyes scoping out talent, embarrassing..

Absolutely shocking stuff coming out of USSF. Listened to the podcast with Herc about this. Just unbelievable.

-One full time scout with 150MM surplus. Lol.
-Rongen states going to Gonzales house 3 times, flat out lie
-The way in which the U20 coach contacted Gonzales back in the day certainly didn't help matters either.

College sports teams have more eyes scoping out talent, embarrassing..

How's Herc's podcast? Is it worth a regular listen or did you just put it on to listen to that one episode?

How's Herc's podcast? Is it worth a regular listen or did you just put it on to listen to that one episode?

Just listened to this one because I was interested in what he had to say regarding the Gonzales situation. Jonathan's dad personally reached out to Herc because he felt his son is getting blasted in the media without the full story.

They also talked with Bob Bradley about USMNT overall.

This episode at least is a good listen.

It feels like it's been years since I missed a USMNT game, but I just don't have it in me tonight.

Also, reminder, the USMNT plays tonight...

Looks like I wasn't the only one boycotting the USMNT game!

A few interesting tidbits happening related to domestic player development this week:

We've had three young MLS player sign or be very close to signing with massive clubs.

1 - Taylor Booth (16 year-old American - Real Salt Lake) is finalizing a contract with Bayern Munich.
2 - Jack Harrison (21 year-old Brit - NYCFC) just transfered to Man City (and was loaned out to 'Boro)
3 - Ballou Jean Yves Tabla (18 year0-old Cannuck - Montreal) signed with Barcelona

Now, I know it's only 1 American and Jack Harrison was with Man United until he was 14 (has been in the US system for the last 7 years), but we've never had our domestic league put three players at such highly respected clubs in one transfer window. I wouldn't expect it every window, but this is a good sign!

It feels like it's been years since I missed a USMNT game, but I just don't have it in me tonight.

Also, reminder, the USMNT plays tonight...
I watched and it was 2 hours I wish I could've gotten back. Tyler Adams continues to be a bright spot but our attacking options that aren't based in Europe aren't dynamic enough.

It's more likely that Ribery is let walk than Robben. Could easily see him head to MLS or a lower-tier European side but his injuries make him tough to predict. Robben has been really good again this year but it's possible both could be gone. Gnabry may never end up playing a game for Bayern before he's been replaced by one or both of these guys. I think Jupp Heynckes could do wonders for Pulisic's career as he's revitalized James and has really helped Coman.

Spot on.
Klinsmann may have been a dink but he had the proper attitude.
He wants our players playing at the highest level.
The NBA is the highest level in basketball and players from around the world come to play.
The best soccer leagues are aboard.
If Kathy Carter win and she is still a stooge of Garber and MLS nothing will change.
Wynalda is going to screw this whole thing up.
Gans or Martino are the picks.

I'm really loving what Cameron is doing. He's been very vocal, some have called him whiney, but he makes great points. I wonder if he makes a run at USSF President in retirement. It seems like that's what he's setting himself up to do.

The point that I love -- youth coaches being too arrogant to ask for advice. Because they played at Hartwick or Colgate 25 years ago their egos are too inflated to ask elite youth coaches for advice.

The point that I think he missed -- when talking about his move to Stoke in the EPL, he made it seem like everyone should make a similar move, even if it is uncomfortable. What I think he missed is that there aren't a whole lot of players in the US right now that a) are good enough to make a move to a decent Euro club or league and b) are even eligible to make that move (for example a Gio Reyna). Besides Tyler Adams, I'm not sure there are a lot of other younger US domestic players that I think would get mutual interest. Nearly every other stand out player we have in that late-high school/early-college age range either has a move lined up or is already in a better development set up. Beyond them, I don't think they've proven enough yet to really get that shot.

It's vote day and most solid votes still sit with the establishment. I haven't read any word yet if the 'group of 6' have been able to strike a deal -- I really hope Wynalda's arrogance and desire to be their guy doesn't screw us over.

USSYA is pushing hard for Cordeiro and the athletes bloc seems to be undecided. I'm real anxious about the results... In the end though, it's hard to vote against your wallet and Carter has all the business/media/advertising connections/credentials, and when you're fighting to keep lower level and women's professional leagues alive in this country it may just be too much to overcome.

Tough pill to swallow.

The lack of support that the 'Gang of 6' was able to muster up was disappointing. Don't expect anything major changes at the USSF level over the next term. Any major changes will come from the leagues and the unions.

I can tolerate Corderio over Carter.
I didn’t want either establishment candidate but Carter’s agenda pissed me off.
I blame Wynalda for the outsider 6 not being unified.

If we can't get Pro/Rel (which is what I want) then at least I'd like to see this:

• Solidarity Compensation (paying club for youth player signed ex. McKennie and FC Dallas)

• Mandated Home Grown playing time (there's no pro/rel so why not play young guys)

•Giving a damn about the Latino Market (read about Sueño Alianza). There has been multiple players starting in Liga MX now who were discovered in this competition that USSF doesn't bother with.

• Re-hiring Hugo perez, the best youth coach in this country. His U18 national team was widely praised at the time and ended up churning out McKennie, Pulisic, Haji Wright (Schalke), and Tyler Adams.

If we can't get Pro/Rel (which is what I want) then at least I'd like to see this:

• Solidarity Compensation (paying club for youth player signed ex. McKennie and FC Dallas)

• Mandated Home Grown playing time (there's no pro/rel so why not play young guys)

•Giving a damn about the Latino Market (read about Sueño Alianza). There has been multiple players starting in Liga MX now who were discovered in this competition that USSF doesn't bother with.

• Re-hiring Hugo perez, the best youth coach in this country. His U18 national team was widely praised at the time and ended up churning out McKennie, Pulisic, Haji Wright (Schalke), and Tyler Adams.
US Soccer is the Knicks of International Soccer.
We are screwed.
The federation has tons of money and just doesn’t use it to help Soccer.
We have 1 scout.
It’s so laughable.
I am disappointed one of the 2 establishment candidates won but at least it wasn’t Gulati’s endorsed candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.