Ut oh - Babers dodged the "are u here for the long term question" | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Ut oh - Babers dodged the "are u here for the long term question"

I agree with Bees, it's a factor and the only one that the fanbase can control somewhat. Best case scenario is decent spike if the team stays hot.

the funny thing is, Dino has never really experienced the true loudhouse. Would be great, if for one of the last 3 games they made some huge really cry to try and get 47-48 K in there, somehow someway. would have to be a night game I think, might go a long way with Dino and show some goodwill and belief with SOME evidence. Crazy I know

Last edited:
I agree with Bees, it's a factor and the only one that the fanbase can control somewhat. Best case scenario is decent spike if the team stays hot.

the funny thing is, Dino has never really experienced the true loudhouse. Would be great, if for one of the last 3 games they made some huge really cry to try and get 47-48 K in there, somehow someway. would have to be a night game I think, might go a long way with Dino and show some goodwill and belief with SOME evidence. Crazy I know

What was Clemson last year? 42k ? I have a feeling that if Clemson was in the dome this year and we beat Uconn he would have experienced the loud house full.

Dino loves the dome because its closed in and the crowd can sound louder than it would out doors. He would die for an engaged 47-48k.

Do we have heavy weed usage on this board? We played an unimpressive win at WM, Wagner, and beat a bad FSU (nice win though it might be) and we have massive paranoia. Until the season ticket base is brought back up. ( I'm guessing 5 to 10 k below the 90s) We are not going to have a lot of 40 k plus crowds. That's just reality.

We are in the old Archbold rut...I'm onboard from the fifties. Back then
play Holy Cross, Villanova or Boston U and draw 15000, play Pitt W Va PSU draw 36 to 40000. I know, had to battle the weather but still who we played mattered a lot. As far as population OC had roughly 340 to 400 thousand people in the 50s vs 466 thousand now. A winner with solid marketing plus who we play matters.

I guess we’ll all agree to disagree. If we win, people will come. If we win, recruits will come. If we win, we’ll need to pay Dino commensurate with whatever market value is.

On attendance:
Partner with hotels. Ticket purchase gets me a decent discount. I’m there much more often than I can be now.

Out-of-area party bus! Ban together (in various cities) pitch in for one of those party buses with booze to get to the game and home.

Maybe he doesn't want to be stuck in a Nick Saban situation of lying to the fans/media. He may have every intention of finishing his career here, but if someone came calling with an outrageous offer, he would have to consider it. Everyone has a price.

The response "I love it here and this is
I hope he doesn't have to answer the question anymore.

I wonder if Jeff Brohm has to answer it every week at Purdue. Or Matt Campbell at Iowa State.

We're an ACC team. Our media should act like they understand this.

Maybe the fact that he's asked it so often is the reason he doesn't give the I'm here forever response. Probably thinks no one will believe him anyway.

Oh and God help us if his I heart CNY speech is what is needed to get more fans to the Dome.

A few things.

First, Babers has been asked the question less than a handful of times - there has been no overreaching by the press.

Second, I have little doubt that Brohm and Campbell are asked the question as much as Babers is asked the question. ln Brohm's case I'm sure he hears it all the time since he clearly sought to get out of West Lafayette after the 2017 season.

Third, the question is now an almost standard one in today's world of sports journalism because of the amount of coaching movement these days.

Fourth, anything and everything can help get fans to the Dome. If a skeptical fan hears that the coach is truly committed and plans to stay in CNY for the long haul, he or she will likely see that as a good thing and that will give him more of a reason to convince him or her to commit to the program.

Fifth, if Babers wants to end the questioning - I wonder if he does - he can do it very easily - just state that he likes the job and plans to be here for the long haul.

But the evasive BS answer that "I'm just focusing my attention on UConn" causes needless discomfort and is not the way to do it in my opinion.

Unc, nc st and louisville will all be over 40,000 imo. Can hold me to it

Dino loves the dome because its closed in and the crowd can sound louder than it would out doors. He would die for an engaged 47-48k.
Do you think he realizes that more wins will equal better attendance? And for that reason, sees the importance of seeing this through? Not saying 3-5 more years until attendance recovers but an 8-9 win season and a decent marketing campaign along with the renovation will significantly boost 2019 attendance in my opinion. My concern is he wins 8-9 this year and bolts while “the cake is still in the oven.”

If he leaves, I think it will be to the west coast. I think we dodged a huge bullet when UCLA hired Chip Kelly last year. Was really worried they would go after Dino last year. He grew up in So Cal and would be a perfect fit for that program.

Doesn’t everyone want a coach that others want? JFC guys...Would you leave your job for a 200% increase at a more prestigious firm? Yes you would. That said, this attendance issue is laughable. Last week was abysmal in the dome. If we keep winning, they will come. Please see SU/WVU Michael Owens game...Pinnacle of excitement in the dome.

R.E.L.A.X.

Do you think he reads the boards? Perhaps he likes to avoid answering definitively so he can watch us squirm. I would totally do that.

I’ll tell you and KC one more time, you may not like it or think it’s silly, but attendance is a big deal to Babers. It was for Marrone too. Larger crowds isn’t just to help with home field advantage, it’s important for recruiting too. Big time.
I’ll tell you and KC one more time, you may not like it or think it’s silly, but attendance is a big deal to Babers. It was for Marrone too. Larger crowds isn’t just to help with home field advantage, it’s important for recruiting too. Big time.

To be clear i completely understand and agree. My point is that if he and his staff are compensated properly the reason for him leaving wont be based on attendance. Dino is smart and he knows that a winning program especially one in a new dome is going to have zero issues getting fans.
Lets not forget that he has been to few Syracuse Basketball games. You know the SU team that leads the country in attendance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom