Ut oh - Babers dodged the "are u here for the long term question" | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Ut oh - Babers dodged the "are u here for the long term question"

Dino’s looking for an environment that’ll give his system the edge it needs. Dome, check.

Fan support that will give his team a further edge. We are a work in progress here.

Support from the university and AD to give him what he needs to compete. Didnt he just get a private jet or something this year? Along with dome upgrades albeit an AC upgrade he does not like?

Im happy with our commitment to keeping him thus far. If he leaves Pitt 5-1, 4 mil should be in talks, if we’re bowl eligible by UNC pull that damn trigger.

That list just reminds me that John Wildhack and Gus Malzahn were separated at birth

$

Agreed, except Gus Malzahn is probably a pretty big, athletically built dude, and Wildhack looks like he would have needed his inhaler to get through a rousing adventure of Dungeons and Dragons.

My best guess is if Babers leaves...which I hope he doesn't, it will be for a place that has an almost full to full stadium and where he can recruit in a highly talented HS football state without a problem and a good chance to win. Money...certainly a factor plus an accommodating BOT/AD And to add...a place he wants/enjoys living. I think SU can fill those boxes except for the football talented state by its proximity to Jersey/PA and the easy drive up the coast help.

I would venture to say that Syracuse University Athletic Director John Wildhack knows exactly what he has in Dino Babers as the head of the Syracuse University Football Program. Even though Mr. Wildhack did not hire Coach Babers, I am 99.999% sure he doesn't want to be the one to lose him. Mr. Wildhack is a smart business man who already knows what Coach Babers wants for the future of this program because Coach Babers has told him. In turn, I'm sure Mr. Wildhack has informed the powers to be and when all is said and done, everything that can be done to keep Dino Babers as HFC at Syracuse will have been done. In the mean time as fans,, lets just take it one at a time and hope that this year leads to future years of increased success all with the same hands on board. Go Orange!!!!

Its not Wildhack’s commitment or money available im worried about. Its more the university.

You want fans to commit to the program and to fill the Dome?

Then answer the friggin question straight up - "I love it here and this is where I want to be!"

It's that simple. You make your investment in this community clear.

I love the guy but that should be a no-brainer answer - one that CNY fans would appreciate hearing.

I hope he figures that out and stops with the evasive non-answer BS.

so you'd rather have a coach lie about this being his dream job? Cool

Its not Wildhack’s commitment or money available im worried about. Its more the university.

Do we really think the school is gonna pony up 4mm plus? I would be shocked. I feel like there are two competing narratives here:

1. He's gonna leave b/c attendance stinks.
2. He's gonna leave b/c he wants a place to win.

The real narrative is he'll leave b/c he'll get 4-5mm at an SEC/Pac 12 school willing to shell it out. #1 and #2 above are just narratives his agent will spin when money is the reason. I won't fault him for leaving for more cash. I'd do the same thing if I wasn't concerned with roots or becoming a long termer.

We also know what Wildhack wants for the program and it sounds just like what Babers wants. I liked Wildhacks speech to the 96-98 players. Reasonable to assume that he has a plan and Babers agrees. I think there is a lot of TEAMwork behind the scenes that we are not aware of. And like all business you need to spend now (capital improvements) to stay competetive and to make more in the future.....ya know that vision thing. They on the same page pretty much.

I hope he figures that out and stops with the evasive non-answer BS.

I hope he doesn't have to answer the question anymore.

I wonder if Jeff Brohm has to answer it every week at Purdue. Or Matt Campbell at Iowa State.

We're an ACC team. Our media should act like they understand this.

Maybe the fact that he's asked it so often is the reason he doesn't give the I'm here forever response. Probably thinks no one will believe him anyway.

Oh and God help us if his I heart CNY speech is what is needed to get more fans to the Dome.

Hey folks! listen up. Babers is no longer a MAC coach and we haven't been a Big East team for a few years now. We are in a league where we can be somebody! After starting with a 16 watt ornamental bulb, remember it took Coach Mac 6 years to screw in a 100 watt light bulb after realizing he had to change the wiring first.

I’m struggling with the whole “he’s gonna leave over attendance” narrative. Belief without evidence, Dino. Just like you told me. It’s your turn to win and folks will come.

Rodriguez is getting 6 mil at Zona? My word. The pac sucks

Do we really think the school is gonna pony up 4mm plus? I would be shocked. I feel like there are two competing narratives here:

1. He's gonna leave b/c attendance stinks.
2. He's gonna leave b/c he wants a place to win.

The real narrative is he'll leave b/c he'll get 4-5mm at an SEC/Pac 12 school willing to shell it out. #1 and #2 above are just narratives his agent will spin when money is the reason. I won't fault him for leaving for more cash. I'd do the same thing if I wasn't concerned with roots or becoming a long termer.
I wouldn’t fault him for leaving for more cash but I dont necessarily think USC/Zona/etc provide his system a better chance to make the NC.

i can't imagine Syracuse will pony up 4mm for a HC. You still have to pay the assistants too so you're talking another what, 1.5-2mm?

The school is a private/northeastern university with a finite amount of money in the coffers. Someone can correct me but do we have an active football boosters group who will also kick in cash as well?

So yes, he'll leave for money like I said 100 messages ago. The attendance stuff is nonsense. It's all about money, not prestige or seats.

I’ll tell you and KC one more time, you may not like it or think it’s silly, but attendance is a big deal to Babers. It was for Marrone too. Larger crowds isn’t just to help with home field advantage, it’s important for recruiting too. Big time.

Of course he will leave SU for enough money (as would any sane person)

When you are 58 years old, retirement is pretty close. At the point you retire, how much money you have socked away has a huge impact on the rest of your life. You are going to stop making money and will start drawing down from your nest egg and for Babers, that should be over 20 years.

If he were 38 years old instead of 58, he might have a different answer.

A million dollars in the bank produces about $40K of income a year. (Pre-Tax in some cases)

If SU wants him to stay, they will have to come up with an offer that matches the competition's. Now, its also true that there is an element of greater risk in changing schools and taking on new challenges,. So Babers will have to estimate that.

I’ll tell you and KC one more time, you may not like it or think it’s silly, but attendance is a big deal to Babers. It was for Marrone too. Larger crowds isn’t just to help with home field advantage, it’s important for recruiting too. Big time.

we dont even need a "large crowd" to fill the dome. It only maxes out at 49k. UGHH

Marrone built some goodwill with the run his 2nd season, he became a different guy after the slide in his 3rd season and I believe was looking to leave after his 3rd season, with the nice run after his 4th he was out the door. I will say the win versus WVU in the dome was a great crowd which was his 3rd season, not quite filled but an old school dome crowd. He was building something that 3rd season, people just didn't know it after the 5 game skid. The injuries were just brutal that 3rd year but that 5 game skid among some other things soured Marrone on the Syracuse experience. I think he felt he had built some more goodwill after the bowl trip his 2nd year and that the attendance should have reflected that, there is no easy cure to the attendance. Sure 10 win seasons would help but is that realistic.

Dino has kind of done the same thing here the last two years. I would be interested to see what the crowds look like for the last 3 home games if we keep winning ( within reason) say 5-1 start

Last edited:
Of course he will leave SU for enough money (as would any sane person)

When you are 58 years old, retirement is pretty close. At the point you retire, how much money you have socked away has a huge impact on the rest of your life. You are going to stop making money and will start drawing down from your nest egg and for Babers, that should be over 20 years.

If he were 38 years old instead of 58, he might have a different answer.

A million dollars in the bank produces about $40K of income a year. (Pre-Tax in some cases)

If SU wants him to stay, they will have to come up with an offer that matches the competition's. Now, its also true that there is an element of greater risk in changing schools and taking on new challenges,. So Babers will have to estimate that.

Yeah and Dino likes the good life... I am sure he wants to sock it away and who could blame him. Doubt he's sitting on a TON right now. Hawaii real estate ain't cheap

I’m struggling with the whole “he’s gonna leave over attendance” narrative. Belief without evidence, Dino. Just like you told me. It’s your turn to win and folks will come.

nobody said he's gonna leave over attendance. its a factor. not easy to recruit a kid and the dome looks half empty.

It brings it back to the "don't schedule cupcakes" then. Wasn't that the Crouthamel model. If Dino builds it back up wouldn't they need to schedule up again to retain some fans in the dome?

I think at the end of the day he'll be offered substantially more money to coerce him to leave. if the dome was full every game, what are we going to peak in recruiting u think? We're a top 40 team full house or not. Maybe we sneak into top 30 every blue moon but i'm failing to understand what is the peak of SU football with attendance, recruiting, etc...the coach has a job in this too no?

we dont even need a "large crowd" to fill the dome. It only maxes out at 49k. UGHH

IMO, that's huge for Syracuse given the relatively small, relatively poor metro area, and widely dispersed alumni base. (Approx 74th largest/123rd wealthiest)

Win and it will fill up. Very easy.

The win part is kinda the coaches job in this. It helps to have recruits, etc but if you want to be paid 4mm per year, i want to see the coaching up part.

i'm hoping this is all noise and he's sticking around for years b/c they have the right guy. but the idea that the fans are letting down a football program that has essentially been the worst in college football throughout the 2000s is laughable to me. the fact we've stuck around with this team should be commendable if anything

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom