UVA Game Thread... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

UVA Game Thread...

orange79 said:
Fire Desktop!

That play -- try to run out the clock -- is straight from his playbook, and it rarely works.

OrangeXtreme said:
Unless you're JoJo Marasco

Exactly.

Lol.

I guess Desko thinks he still plays for us.

need speed behind the cage. flat out speed trumps ball skills just about time in those clock kill situation. run dammit !

bit us in the butt a couple times today

Well, it wasn't pretty, but this was a huge win. Huge. Hopefully they learn something from this.

But I'm not counting on it. As Jeremy says, not a big lax IQ out there.

Unfortunately I agree, keep making the same mistakes. Good news is there are a lot of guys with room to grow still. Bigger issue is the second mid line, Desko has to do something there ASAP

Two games now where we tried that dumb play and we lost the ball. You'd think they'd learn.

If we lost that game, I'd be cursing Desko to Sunday.
If you're talking about the turnover following the UVa timeout--

Nothing wrong with the play. Smart coaching move by Starsia to call the TO with the restart coming from the corner. It's going to be 1-on-2 for the offense there. SU hasn't shown they have the right man out there to split the double team. Maybe Barber?

Two games now where we tried that dumb play and we lost the ball. You'd think they'd learn.

If we lost that game, I'd be cursing Desko to Sunday.

The fact that came out of the TO was mind boggling, I don't even want to think about what kind of rampage I would have went on had we lost this game because of that idiocy.

If you're talking about the turnover following the UVa timeout--

Nothing wrong with the play. Smart coaching move by Starsia to call the TO with the restart coming from the corner. It's going to be 1-on-2 for the offense there. SU hasn't shown they have the right man out there to split the double team. Maybe Barber?

The guy you have there is Salcido with your second fastest guy given the instruction to start zig zagging all over the place the minute the whistle blows to get open. The way to do it was shown by Grimm after UVA violated on that draw, he just picked it up and took off and guys kept spreading out to make themselves open when UVA tried to double and triple team.

longtimefan said:
If you're talking about the turnover following the UVa timeout-- Nothing wrong with the play. Smart coaching move by Starsia to call the TO with the restart coming from the corner. It's going to be 1-on-2 for the offense there. SU hasn't shown they have the right man out there to split the double team. Maybe Barber?

Maybe try passing the ball to a cutter.

Can't let yourself get trapped against the end line.

Guarantee we try that again in a crucial one goal game again this year.

Unfortunately I agree, keep making the same mistakes. Good news is there are a lot of guys with room to grow still. Bigger issue is the second mid line, Desko has to do something there ASAP
Given the personnel available, I'm not sure what he can do. Hopefully, someone steps up.

Given the personnel available, I'm not sure what he can do. Hopefully, someone steps up.

Romano, Hutchings, O'Reilly, give one of them a shot even if there really not ready maybe you catch lightning in a bottle. Can't keep running Lane, Westin, and Simmons out there, that line is basically useless at this point. I keep saying it but the recruiting misses right now are really hurting us. Denver is running 3 mid lines right now who are producing we have 1. Gotta say I was wrong about not needing a better 2014 class, the misses there are glaring. 2013 has been a case of transfers and guys not meeting expectations unfortunately.

Romano, Hutchings, O'Reilly, give one of them a shot even if there really not ready maybe you catch lightning in a bottle. Can't keep running Lane, Westin, and Simmons out there, that line is basically useless at this point. I keep saying it but the recruiting misses right now are really hurting us. Denver is running 3 mid lines right now who are producing we have 1. Gotta say I was wrong about not needing a better 2014 class, the misses there are glaring. 2013 has been a case of transfers and guys not meeting expectations unfortunately.
Yeah, Westin and Simmons haven't done much. Lane, apart from one good game, has looked very awkward out there - especially tonight.

Just to add the issue doesn't necessarily resolve itself next year either as the 2016 class isnt really loaded with game ready talent save for Trimboli. Expect SU to be very active in the transfer market again, one already lined up.

Yeah, Westin and Simmons haven't done much. Lane, apart from one good game, has looked very awkward out there - especially tonight.

He's an attackmen who cant play attack at the D1 level trying to play midfield, its just not gonna work against other upper echelon teams. I know everyone loves his size but hes still very raw despite being a Rs soph. Not giving up on him by any stretch but people got to over the top based on him dominating a terrible Siena team that me and OrangeExtreme could probably get 2 and 2 on.

JeremyCuse said:
Just to add the issue doesn't necessarily resolve itself next year either as the 2016 class isnt really loaded with game ready talent save for Trimboli. Expect SU to be very active in the transfer market again, one already lined up.
lol buddy relax just got a huge must win tonight.. Worry about now we'll be a top 4 seed in ncaas book it

For starters there was nobody near donahue for help i.e. an outlet pass. I couldn't tell if they pulled the goalie. If they did you need to give him closer help. If they didn't someone is open. I might put lane there simply to see over the double and be able to make an immediate pass to an open guy or cutter.

At 13-8 the comeback was made for two reasons. Very shoddy mid defense, very shoddy, and the O getting tight trying to run clock. Easy for me to say but I don't take the foot off the gas with 10 minutes left. I think we honestly went 5 or 6 minutes with just one or two shots and lots of possessions.

Anyhow some of you guys can critique little things til your blue in the face but it's survive and advance, just win. this is a good road win with a young team and I never felt like it was in doubt. They can cleanup the bad turnovers or crazy forces to the crease (lane). 4-0

Last edited:
He's an attackmen who cant play attack at the D1 level trying to play midfield, its just not gonna work against other upper echelon teams. I know everyone loves his size but hes still very raw despite being a Rs soph. Not giving up on him by any stretch but people got to over the top based on him dominating a terrible Siena team that me and OrangeExtreme could probably get 2 and 2 on.

Clearly you've never seen me play. :rolleyes:

lol buddy relax just got a huge must win tonight.. Worry about now we'll be a top 4 seed in ncaas book it
Well, if we play the way we played tonight, we're not going to beat ND and Duke, and probably not UNC. That's 3 losses, at least. And we have to play at Hop. With Denver, Duke, ND, Loyola, and others out there, top 4 will be difficult. Hope I'm wrong.

really 2 and 2 ? i'm calling stick check. you dudes got way to deep pockets. or deep something...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom