UVA Game Thread... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

UVA Game Thread...

Great game, Orange. Hill came up big for you at the exact moment you needed it.
Typical SU-UVa game. Someone comes up huge at the end - because they are all usually that close. Good luck the rest of the season...unless we meet again. :)

lol buddy relax just got a huge must win tonight.. Worry about now we'll be a top 4 seed in ncaas book it

Im looking to win a title, you dont realize how loaded Duke, ND, and Denver are. Great win tonight and I think this team can continue to grow as the season goes on. Guys like Salcido, Dejoe, Evans, Mariano, even Lane can continue to get better.

Maybe try passing the ball to a cutter.

Can't let yourself get trapped against the end line.

Guarantee we try that again in a crucial one goal game again this year.
But the goalie is out, and everyone is being face-guarded. Finding someone open in one second after the whistle is blown is not easy.

GoSU96 said:
60 minute game

I thought it would be a high scoring one goal game.

So.

JeremyCuse said:
Im looking to win a title, you dont realize how loaded Duke, ND, and Denver are. Great win tonight and I think this team can continue to grow as the season goes on. Guys like Salcido, Dejoe, Evans, Mariano, even Lane can continue to get better.
I get you were the Alabama of lax, just think savor the moment we should get to 5-0 then Hopkins

For starters there was nobody near donahue for help i.e. an outlet pass. I couldn't tell if they pulled the goalie. If they did you need to give him closer help. If they didn't someone is open. I might put lane there simply to see over the double and be able to make an immediate pass to an open guy or cutter.

At 13-8 the comeback was made for two reasons. Very shoddy mid defense, very shoddy, and the O getting tight trying to run clock. Easy for me to say but I don't take the foot off the gas with 10 minutes left. I think we honestly went 5 or 6 minutes with just one or two shots and lots of possessions.

Anyhow some of you guys can critique little things til your blue in the face but it's survive and advance, just win. this is a good road win with a young team and I never felt like it was in doubt. They can cleanup the bad turnovers or crazy forces to the crease (lane). 4-0

I agree with some of that but the comeback for UVA happened due to two bad faceoffs. SU was up 5 with the ball and a man up. Williams wins the draw goes to get the ball slips and falls, the wing guy for SU who was alone due to man up also falls and UVA is able to get the ball and scores. Next faceoff Williams wins it goes to get the GB accidentally kicks the ball and it goes over the box line right to a UVA defender, UVA gets a flag and then scores on the man up.

As for that play with Donahue it was clear to anyone who even remotely follows lacrosse that UVA called that timeout to double the ball and pull the goalie. Donhaue has to either try and split it or someone has to try and cut preferably whoever is on the goalie. Cant run to the end line with a double team thats going to be a turnover every single time. Agree on the mid defense, Cifferri and the backups really struggled at SSDM, UVA was going at the them most of the game.

I get you were the Alabama of lax, just think savor the moment we should get to 5-0 then Hopkins

Agreed. St. johns is a real bad team. Piroli should be back by Hopkins. If this team can develop Evans and a second midline it can reach Memorial day weekend.

really 2 and 2 ? i'm calling stick check. you dudes got way to deep pockets. or deep something...

Im gonna need a pocket the size of a goalie stick.

I could tell ya, but...

Heard your Trumps foreign policy advisor on the trail.

Next Saturday vs St. Johns I think a bunch of us are going to go if your in town.

Oh, my, my another Cuse-Va classic...isn't that unusual! Such a terrific game. Criticise where you will, but this game showed the heart of the Orange!!!

I agree with some of that but the comeback for UVA happened due to two bad faceoffs. SU was up 5 with the ball and a man up. Williams wins the draw goes to get the ball slips and falls, the wing guy for SU who was alone due to man up also falls and UVA is able to get the ball and scores. Next faceoff Williams wins it goes to get the GB accidentally kicks the ball and it goes over the box line right to a UVA defender, UVA gets a flag and then scores on the man up.

As for that play with Donahue it was clear to anyone who even remotely follows lacrosse that UVA called that timeout to double the ball and pull the goalie. Donhaue has to either try and split it or someone has to try and cut preferably whoever is on the goalie. Cant run to the end line with a double team thats going to be a turnover every single time. Agree on the mid defense, Cifferri and the backups really struggled at SSDM, UVA was going at the them most of the game.

Your first paragraph, sometimes sheet happens, guys slip and balls get kicked. It's not indicative of poor play

Great game tonight! I think our hustle won us the game! Very pleased with the effort! I thought we would win by a few more goals but form and ratings are out of the window in this game!

It was great that we got some PT for the third line middies def and off, we are going to need them and we keep Getting them in to gain some experience!
The coaches are obviously concerned about 2nd and 3rd string production but doing the right thing by getting them some experience!

I can't say that I am not happy with the starters! We would be stronger with Piroli which would allow Barber to play on the first line but I am happy with Mariano, DeJoe and Salcido! Two big shooters and a quicker initiator! Id like to see Mariano produce off the dodge from X a little more!

Warren and the def are doing great, a great mix of players with Mellen making a few mistakes, showing his age a little bit last night but all on hustle plays, I know Messere would be saying that was a mental mistake and would have let him know! Mullins is solid and has really shown some fire in the last two games. I couldn't be happier with our LSMs Firman and Fusco and we know what to expect from SSDMs Cefferi, Grimm and Gillis.

Yes I'd like to see Jordan go more and be more of a threat but he is making plays and is playing within himself and part of the offense! Barber is a real threat and hard to scout he can do it all!

I think we have a very solid team with all the components to do well, buff said about Ben Williams! Beast!

Keep it up fellas!

Your first paragraph, sometimes sheet happens, guys slip and balls get kicked. It's not indicative of poor play

Who said it was poor play? It helped uva make the comeback but it was just bad luck

--- once again our goalie made it more difficult. It appeared to me that the Virginia shooters were telegraphing their shots and still scored on Hill. Desko needs to find another XO player and goalie. Williams was over used yesterday. You could see that he was bordering on exhausted by the end of the game. Now maybe Hill will improve but This will result in losses by the time the tournament run begins and the brackets are filled . It might cost the team some key placement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom