Va Tech Thoughts... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Va Tech Thoughts...

Probably our best win of the season.
-Joe was excellent. Yes he took 4 to 6 ridiculous shots and I would rather he had gone 10 per 17 from the field instead of 10 for 20. But that is nitpicking and when he finally had somebody guarding him who he was bigger than he abused him. Just a terrific game for JG3 especially since he only had two turnovers.
-I also thought Judah did a better job taking care of the ball with only two turnovers. He has only had three assists but seemed to make more of an effort to get guys involved. Can’t have him missing those free throws though.
-again Jesse did not show up for the first half. His rebounding was much better in the second half but he missed a ton of easy baskets. It almost feels like he has the yips on offense right now.
-Maliq was is outstanding. Does the little things so well like save a bad pass towards the end of the game and throw it ahead for an assist. Can shoot nicely with both hands around the basket. Actually boxes out. Doesn’t take plays off. What’s amazing is many of us have been begging for this kid to get more time but somehow JB couldn’t see it. Must’ve been a lot of bad practices.
-Justin Taylor is so solid. An underrated aspect of his game is that he does not panic when pressured with the ball. Love his stroke but also was impressed by his one hand runner in the first half. I think he will be even better at the two because in the zone he has trouble rebounding against bigger players. But this is a kid who is a winner and will continue to improve with experience and more confidence to look for his shot.
-JB playes JBA for four minutes to start against Virginia and we have not seen him since. Just more evidence of the insanity of starting JBA over Brown or Taylor among others.
-ironic that Bell was injured rebounding. Everybody loves to rip this kid but I love his shot and I just wonder if he is simply playing out of position and could be a very effective two guard.
-Nice win. Can’t go backwards against Notre Dame.

Judah only took nine shots, which I actually like.

He still has work to do, but not forcing shots is key for him. Feels like with the right lineup, he has more trust in the guys around him.

I see no reason Brown can’t play with Benny (If Benny is playing well) other than “SPACING”
Yeah…I don’t disagree.

With Taylor(other than 1 game) and Bell, we’re talking about maybe 1-2 long range makes a game?

Benny can even hit one here and there. None of them can do a thing off the dribble.

Benny and Brown would give us the most “length”(do we care about that anymore?) and athleticism.

Seems worth a shot to me. I wonder if Jim ever even considered it, or is he THAT rigid in his thinking that he decided who was the “3” and who was the “4” like it’s 1992, back in October?

Yeah…I don’t disagree.

With Taylor(other than 1 game) and Bell, we’re talking about maybe 1-2 long range makes a game?

Benny can even hit one here and there. None of them can do a thing off the dribble.

Benny and Brown would give us the most “length”(do we care about that anymore?) and athleticism.

Seems worth a shot to me. I wonder if Jim ever even considered it, or is he THAT rigid in his thinking that he decided who was the “3” and who was the “4” like it’s 1992, back in October?
I think they played a decent amount together vs Monmouth, I think, and looked very good...and the general response was “Yeah it’s monmouth”

I feel likes Benny needs to try using that goofy Babers quote, "Try less harder" or whatever it is. He's wound SO tight.
THAT. He’s been freaking out all year. Ripped his jersey.

Just play the game and stop the headcase crap, my goodness. It’s a game. Play to strengths and go hard. Not that deep.

Benny cares and plays hard. I’d be frustrated with everything in my control and out of my control if I were him too.

Hopefully he settles down and gives us solid minutes most games the rest of this season and takes another step forward this off-season. It seems like he still isn’t sure what his game is and that’s gotta be tough to figure out when you’ve been the best player on every team until you get to college and things don’t go how you thought they would.

Guess those are excuses but he’s an easy dude to root for, imo, and didn’t bail last spring when most guys would have.

Benny cares and plays hard. I’d be frustrated with everything in my control and out of my control if I were him too.

Hopefully he settles down and gives us solid minutes most games the rest of this season and takes another step forward this off-season. It seems like he still isn’t sure what his game is and that’s gotta be tough to figure out when you’ve been the best player on every team until you get to college and things don’t go how you thought they would.

Guess those are excuses but he’s an easy dude to root for, imo, and didn’t bail last spring when most guys would have.
Bail for what though? He was arguably the worst player on the team last year.

He’s lucky we still wanted him.

J4M please starting going forward.

That lineup might get us in the tournament.

They played well *together*
i'm afraid of early foul trouble. yes - after subs - but starting? probably not.

Brown played well but I’m going to cut some slack for Benny who probably had his head in the toilet bowl for three days and he’s been sick already once this year…I still feel Benny starts the rest of the way this year but brown has earned his minutes

Brown played well but I’m going to cut some slack for Benny who probably had his head in the toilet bowl for three days and he’s been sick already once this year…I still feel Benny starts the rest of the way this year but brown has earned his minutes
Generally agree, but it depends on what he said to the coach when he purportedly lost his cool in the second half.

Bail for what though? He was arguably the worst player on the team last year.

He’s lucky we still wanted him.
Would be wild to tell a five star recruit to find a new home after one season unless there is attitude/locker room issues

Would be wild to tell a five star recruit to find a new home after one season unless there is attitude/locker room issues
It would, but this entitled “he came back” narrative is a bit much for me too.

He did nothing - what else was he gonna do? Freshman who shoot 20% and average 2 ppg don’t hold any power.

At least in practice try Benny at the 3. We need rebounds and D.

Coach Boeheim deserves credit we destroyed Virginia Tech. This game was over after the first 5 minutes of the second half.
Total dominate performance. I don’t think we are a tournament team but we could be a lot worse.

Announcers said we’re 8-1 against VT in the Dome? Just like football?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom